Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/1/2009 6:03:32 PM EDT
My car had a flat, and I couldn't change it because whoever put on the tire  cross-threaded the bolts.

Anyway, in the middle of nowhere, I flagged a passing police car for a ride. He did give me a ride, but first asked if I had a weapon. To this I replied, yes I had a concealed handgun. He told me DO NOT TOUCH IT. He then removed the gun from me, and put it in the trunk. I rode in the back of his patrol vehicle while he drove me to my destination. We made friendly chat during the ride. He did not ask me about my gun. I got the feeling he didn't even care. He did not ask to see my concealed carry license, so I volunteered to show it to him.

After I got out of his car, he took the gun out of his trunk, and put it in my laptop case, saying he could not hand it to me for his safety. SURE I said. No problem.

Have a good day sir, he said, then drove off.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't be too careful.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Isolated incident!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple years ago I rolled my truck during a nasty storm.  The Michigan State Police gave me a ride to the tow shop.  

I had to disclose to them 'immediately' that I was using my CPL....it's state law.  They didn't give a shit.  I rode in the back of their cruiser with a cocked and locked 1911 on my hip for about 10 miles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a LITTLE creepy sitting back there though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
the way it should be
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do you have any idea how many people have shit, pissed, puked, bled, or any combination in the back of that car?  Muhahahaha
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Dang!  That's how accidents happen.  I'm glad that it worked out ok.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And none too comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A couple years ago I rolled my truck during a nasty storm.  The Michigan State Police gave me a ride to the tow shop.  

I had to disclose to them 'immediately' that I was using my CPL....it's state law.  They didn't give a shit.  I rode in the back of their cruiser with a cocked and locked 1911 on my hip for about 10 miles.

I guess they weren't giant pussies like the cop in the op.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You should have insisted he put his in the trunk; for your safety..

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Once a sheriffs deputy stopped to help my ex wife and I when our truck broke down way out in BFE.

She had to stop to make a phone call, we were locked in the back of the cruiser in this empty parking lot for about 10 minutes.

Then when we realized everything that had probably happened in there...

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
IN on one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the way it should be

word
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I got stopped the other day and the officer pulled my LCP out of the glovebox. I thought he was gonna have an AD. He was scaring the hell out of me. I had to remind him that there was a round in the chamber. Dang new guys.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Does he pee on himself when he handles his own firearm?

Seriously, sometimes I just don't understand why cops are so damn leery of a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm and having to place the icky thing someplace else then in the CCW holders hand when it is returned. As far disarming you, his car his rules, I can understand that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seriously, sometimes I just don't understand why cops are so damn leery of a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm and having to place the icky thing someplace else then in the CCW holders hand when it is returned. As far disarming you, his car his rules, I can understand that.

He was holding my Kahr MK9 Elite with two fingers like it was a bag of dog poop. Young guy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was holding my Kahr MK9 Elite with two fingers like it was a bag of dog poop. Young guy.

Look on the bright side, he left you with the ammo and he didn't drop it on the pavement.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Seriously, sometimes I just don't understand why cops are so damn leery of a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm

Not a cop, but NFW a complete stranger is carrying a firearm in my car while I give him a lift.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, sometimes I just don't understand why cops are so damn leery of a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm

Not a cop, but NFW a complete stranger is carrying a firearm in my car while I give him a lift.

That's why I didn't have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Why didn't you just use your cell phone and call:

1. A road side repair-type company.

2. A Cab.

3. A friend to pick you up.

4. Etc.

Just asking...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe they didn't care if they got shot in the back of the head while they were helping someone out. Unless the OP and the officer who was nice enough to help him out broke bread together last Christmas, securing the weapon during the transport was absolutely appropriate. Wanting to wake up on the good side of the dirt tomorrow doesn't make you a pussy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#22]
all the cops around where i live expect you to have a CCW

its even recommended by alot of cops

down here in the south, i dont feel threatened at all by cops infringing on 2A rights,
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why didn't you just use your cell phone and call:

1. A road side repair-type company.
2. A Cab.
3. A friend to pick you up.
4. Etc.

Just asking...

1. Left my AAA card at home
2. No cash on me
3. No one available to help until a couple of hours later
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You should have insisted he put his in the trunk; for your safety..

Haha. Would love to see a reaction to that!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Isolated incident!

I LOL'd  
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like the LEO did a great service to you. Sounds like he handled it just fine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have any idea how many people have shit, pissed, puked, bled, or any combination in the back of that car?  Muhahahaha

I used to drive one. I can assure you I would never sit back there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Once a sheriffs deputy stopped to help my ex wife and I when our truck broke down way out in BFE.

She had to stop to make a phone call, we were locked in the back of the cruiser in this empty parking lot for about 10 minutes.

Then when we realized everything that had probably happened in there...

You have "done it" in the back seat

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds like the LEO did a great service to you. Sounds like he handled it just fine.

This
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate the back of cop cars, you'd think they would try and make that area a little more comfortable for people who aren't 5'2"
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#31]
So, a JBT picked you up for no reason, unlawfully disarmed you and restrained your liberty in the back of his oppression mobile?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#32]
You know I won't 2nd guess the cop.

Sometimes I will disarm a CCW I'm dealing with and sometimes I won't.  I lot of it depends on my gut feeling.

I do remember when me and another guy were doing a background.  We were in a cleaners (previous employer) and talking to the owner.  He told us he had a CCW (law in OK) and my partner wanted him to give it up.  I looked at my partner like, and said, "We are in HIS place."  My partner was like "Never mind."
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe they didn't care if they got shot in the back of the head while they were helping someone out. Unless the OP and the officer who was nice enough to help him out broke bread together last Christmas, securing the weapon during the transport was absolutely appropriate. Wanting to wake up on the good side of the dirt tomorrow doesn't make you a pussy.

The kind of people that get CCW's are in no way the same group as people that would shoot a cop in the back of the head. You're a cop right? if that is what you think of CCW's then you are the enemy not an ally in our 2A battle.
That is a strawman argument all the way.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate the back of cop cars, you'd think they would try and make that area a little more comfortable for people who aren't 5'2"

Comfortable? There's no need for it to be comfortable...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Cool story, bro!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't blame them.  No telling what those lowly CCW licensed civilians will do...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So some guy locked in the back of a police car is gonna shoot him in the back of the head and then... wait for more cops.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A couple years ago I rolled my truck during a nasty storm. The Michigan State Police gave me a ride to the tow shop.

I had to disclose to them 'immediately' that I was using my CPL....it's state law. They didn't give a shit. I rode in the back of their cruiser with a cocked and locked 1911 on my hip for about 10 miles.

The kind of people that get CCW's are in no way the same group as people that would shoot a cop in the back of the head.
You're a cop right? if that is what you think of CCW's then you are the enemy not an ally in our 2A battle.

And you're fucking moron if you think that somebody is automatically a "good guy" for having a CCW permit. It just means that they haven't been convicted of a felony.

I've seen guys with CCWs start waving their guns in bars, beat the shit out of the wives and....wait for it....commit armed robbery.

ETA: And I'm saying this as a guy who believes that everybody who is legally able should carry a gun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Did the cop play "screen test" with you?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A couple years ago I rolled my truck during a nasty storm. The Michigan State Police gave me a ride to the tow shop.

I had to disclose to them 'immediately' that I was using my CPL....it's state law. They didn't give a shit. I rode in the back of their cruiser with a cocked and locked 1911 on my hip for about 10 miles.

The kind of people that get CCW's are in no way the same group as people that would shoot a cop in the back of the head. You're a cop right? if that is what you think of CCW's then you are the enemy not an ally in our 2A battle.

And you're fucking moron if you think that somebody is automatically a "good guy" for having a CCW permit. It just means that they haven't been convicted of a felony.

I've seen guys with CCWs start waving their guns in bars, beat the shit out of the wives and....wait for it....commit armed robbery.

I am not saying it is imposable but I would be more concerned about getting stuck by lightning then getting shot by a CCWer.

ETA: Do you pat down everyone you put in the back of your car, no matter the reason? I bet not and you are about 10000 times more likely to be shot by some shmoe off the street you stop to help.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So some guy locked in the back of a police car is gonna shoot him in the back of the head and then... wait for more cops.

Well if you already have a gun. you can use its bullets to shoot out the back or side window nad make your escape. Or kick it out like all the other unruley. Just cause you have a CCW doesnt mean your not a criminal.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Ha.  

One of my cop buddies was giving me a ride in his cop car.  All his crap was in the front.  I had to ride in the back, and laughed as the  neighbors got to watch me get out of the back  with a cold beer in my hand.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#43]

I have seen cops do the same stuff, do you make your partner disarm every time he drives with you?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#44]

I have stopped many people legally carrying firearms when I worked in a state where CCW was legal. Most of them I wouldn't worry about, but I did know a few dirtbags who had CCWs.

If I don't know you, even if I am just giving you a ride, you get frisked. Otherwise you can walk. Sorry, that's how I roll. I won't have an unknown person in my back seat armed with a weapon. You have to appreciate that for you, this is one ride in a police car. But the officer puts hundreds of people in his back seat. If he screws up ONCE, he's dead.

If I were to let you (or even a non-local, off duty cop I don't know) ride armed, it would actually be in the front seat - where I could keep an eye on you/him. Unfortunately, my bag and all my crap is in the front seat, and I'm not about to drag that stuff out and put it in the trunk for every Joe citizen I meet.

Don't take it personally, most cops have nothing against CCW holders, I would say most of us appreciate you're out there - just understand we want to make damn sure we make it home at the end of the night, and if your feelings get hurt in the process, well.... sorry.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: And I'm saying this as a guy who believes that everybody who is legally able should carry a gun.

From what I've read, statistically a police officer is more likely to commit a crime than a CCW permit holder (the percentages for both groups are extremely small obviously).

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#46]
At least the gun rode in the trunk and not you!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The kind of people that get CCW's are in no way the same group as people that would shoot a cop in the back of the head.
You're a cop right? if that is what you think of CCW's then you are the enemy not an ally in our 2A battle.

From what I've read, statistically a police officer is more likely to commit a crime than a CCW permit holder (the percentages for both groups are extremely small obviously).

You guys all make good arguments - both sides of the issue. CCW holders are less likely to commit a crime than non-permit holders (not sure about cops). People who apply for CCW permits are generally not the kind of people who shoot cops in the back of the head. CCW holders (and cops) have beaten their wives and committed armed robberies....

But statistics won't feed my family if I get shot today, and that's what it really boils down to.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys all make good arguments - both sides of the issue. CCW holders are less likely to commit a crime than non-permit holders (not sure about cops). People who apply for CCW permits are generally not the kind of people who shoot cops in the back of the head. CCW holders (and cops) have beaten their wives and committed armed robberies....  

But statistics won't feed my family if I get shot today, and that's what it really boils down to.

I understand your argument, I was just a bit shocked by the number of cops on ARFCOM that would have done the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah you should be glad they moved the gun to where none of that would get on it.  I guess if I was a policeman, I would prefer not to have somebody I didn't really know all that well behind me with a loaded gun.  Then again, he could have tossed you a quarter and pointed you to the nearest phone.  So much for doing favors for somebody.  Help a guy out and he whines on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
all the cops around where i live expect you to have a CCW

its even recommended by alot of cops

down here in the south, i dont feel threatened at all by cops infringing on 2A rights,

Those were not Feds, how could they infringe on an amendment restricting only the Feds?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top