Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2009 4:30:27 PM EDT
So I discovered backpage.com through an arfcom member post as a good place to look for local firearm/ammo.  I saw ads for all sorts of stuff so it looked like a pretty active marketplace and I decided to try to sell some of my stuff there too.  I was able to post a bolt gun I have for sale but tried to post an AR and some .223 ammo and it wouldn't work. I admit that I never read their terms of service but considering that the entire sporting goods section is nothing but guns and ammo it didn't even occur to me that they were anti-gun bigots like eBay.  Apparently they are but they only randomly enforce it.  I guess they want to make money selling gun ads but also want to be able to pretend they don't allow such evil transactions on their esteemed service?  I don't get this.  Can anyone else make some sense of this?  Here is my email string with them:

>>> Dan... <[email protected]> 7/28/2009 6:45 PM >>>
Opened an account and tried to post an add - see attached screenshot.
Need some help since I have tried multiple times to get this posted.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
––––––Original Message––––––
To: "Dan..." <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, Jul 29, 10:00 AM -0700
Subject: Re: Can't post

Per Terms of Use agreed to when creating ads:

18. Posting any material advertising handguns; Posting any material
advertising assault weaponry; Posting any material advertising any
weapons the use, carrying, or advertising of which is prohibited by
applicable federal, state, or local law;

Backpage Support
www.backpage.com
Please include any previous correspondence when replying to support.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:18:54 AM

Are you kidding? Most of your ads on my local page are explicitly selling firearms of all types.  My ad is for a completely legal sale.  I even make a separate statement to point out that "I will follow all state and federal laws." I am seriously asking the question: are you saying all of the numerous firearms advertised on your site are in violation of yours terms? If so you are extremely lax in enforcing this.  I have another perfectly legal ad selling a rifle on your site right now in fact.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless mobile phone
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
––––- Forwarded Message ––––
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:51:58 PM

No response?  I would like an answer. The entire sporting goods category is filled with firearms ads (the attached is a small example of what is on your site right now - unambiguously selling all varieties of firearms including the exact same type rifle I was blocked from posting).  Why are these ads allowed and mine was not?  
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

They won't respond and I am still unable to make my post for a basic bushy AR and some wolf .223.

Here's a sample of what's up there right now.  Almost every add is for a firearm.  So you can advertise a FAL and .308 ammo but apparently not an AR and .223 ammo.
http://tucson.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/classifieds/Results?category=5435
Sat. Aug. 1
$375, Bushmaster Upper Assembly  (Tucson)
$425, S&W Model 442 38SP  (Tucson)
$800, Browning Hi Power 9mm Single Action Handgun  (Marana, AZ)
wtb IMR4895 (Tucson)
$180, Noveske AR15 lower reciever  (Southeast Tucson)
$300, MDL59/66 Yugo SKS 7.62x39 Rifle (Tucson)
Fri. Jul. 31
$450, Taurus Millennium Pro 45 NEW  (Tucson)
$30, Federal Power Shok 30.06 Ammo  (Tucson)
$30, .10g Shotgun Ammo Power Pack  (Tucson)
$100, Vietnam Era Military Patches  (Tucson)
$275, Browning Buck Mark Pistol  (downtown)
$400, Remmington 1100 3" mag 30" bbl  (Sierra Vista)
$25, .12 Gauge Home Defense Loadout  (Tucson)
$90, Singer Antique Treadle Sewing Machine,  (Kolb/Broadway)
$1,000, Sig-Sauer P220 Combat TB  (Tucson)
$385, Tuarus titanium 38 special +p-rarely used (Central Tucson)
Thu. Jul. 30
$1, Jacketed Projectiles and Used Rifle & Pistol Brass  (salt lake city)
$35, MAK-90 Dragunov Stock Set  (Tucson)
$185, Chinese 75 rd. drum magazine  (Tucson)
$35, Beretta 96D High Cap magazines  (Tucson)
$1,200, Desert Carbine  (Tucson)
$650, Norinco MAK-90  (Tucson)
$190, Charter Arms AR-7 .22lr Survival Rifle  (Tucson)
$350, Ruger P97 dc  (central)
$1,200, Gary Reeder Custom Pistol  (Tucson)
$25, 308 ammo 50rd bandoleer (Oro Valley)
$900, FAL rifle  (Oro Valley)
$900, Colt 1911 Auto  (Tucson)
$300, Total Gym (Northwest Tucson)
$900, New in Box Savage 10FCP 308 HS w/Farrell Mount  (Northwest Tucson)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
they are probably picking up on some buzzwords like AR-15 and 223 and/or 5.56

Try the same add naming exactly what you are selling, like a Bushmaster Upper, but don't say AR-15 Upper made by Bushmaster
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I did that.  I used wording exactly like that in other ads that are posted. In any case, that's not really the point now.  I am trying to figure out what their deal is because it is pretty lame for them to have anti-gun policies that they selectively enforce yet clearly this is a large piece of their business.

Quoted:
they are probably picking up on some buzzwords like AR-15 and 223 and/or 5.56

Try the same add naming exactly what you are selling, like a Bushmaster Upper, but don't say AR-15 Upper made by Bushmaster

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
"assault weaponry?"  WTF is "assault weaponry?"  Where do they come up with this shit?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Screw 'em, they don't deserve your business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top