Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2009 10:18:25 AM EDT
I'm going to post this in the computer forum also, but I figure I'll get quicker response here.
I need to get a new desktop computer, planning to go with Dell.  They offer both XP and Vista.  I have older applications of Microsoft Office and my wife uses Word for her business.  Other than that, the comp. is used for e-mail and internet surfing, and some music playback.  I keep thinking I've heard a lot of negative about Vista, so I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
just get XP for now, then get Windows 7 when it comes out
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have XP on my desktop and my laptop, my wife has Vista on her laptop.  Never an issue with any of them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Get Vista. It works just fine and has much better security.

The benefits of XP died off a long time ago mostly by people not wanting to change. Windows 7 will be out some time in the future. You can upgrade to that if you want in the future if you want a more light weight operating system.

IT.

Currently have 4 machines. 2 Vista notebooks, XP Pro netbook, macbook.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd just wait for 7.. it's only a couple of months now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No one knows for sure  

If you can wait for something better as always....wait :)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
XP.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one knows for sure  

Microsoft webpage clearly states "Windows 7 will be available on October 22."
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#10]
down load the free 7 demo
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#11]
OMFG people

LINUX

'nuff said

to the OP, if you really only use office apps and surf the internet/email there is really no good reason for anyone to suggest that you even get ANY version of windows, look into Linux. I personally use ArchLinux, but for a new Linux user I would suggest Ubuntu. If you give it a try before buying a version of Windows, you may just find out you like it. If you decide you don't like it, you haven't lost any money 'cause it's FREE, as is almost every piece of software you would run on it. You can run Firefox (#2 most used web browser) and Thunderbird (made by the same people as Firefox) for Internet browsing and email, and OpenOffice for anything you would use Microsoft Office for ( again FREE, as opposed to $100-$300 for Microsoft equiv.).......
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This

DL the Windows 7 RC now and give it a spin.  Beats either XP or Vista.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends on what you use computer for.

If just general use, then XP, because like mentioned, Windows 7 will be out shortly. (Shortly could be within the next year).

There are some issues with Vista, but if you are not a High End User, then you most likely will not have an issue.

I tried Vista, and decided to go back to XP (Only because of the earlier issues that have been resolved). I am now to lazy to reformat computer to Vista, when there will be another application out soon.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one knows for sure  

For sure.  I too believe it will be out on Oct 22 for general availability.  In fact, the RTM release is going to be available for download to MSDN subscribers next week.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

OMFG people

LINUX

'nuff said

to the OP, if you really only use office apps and surf the internet/email there is really no good reason for anyone to suggest that you even get ANY version of windows, look into Linux. I personally use ArchLinux, but for a new Linux user I would suggest Ubuntu. If you give it a try before buying a version of Windows, you may just find out you like it. If you decide you don't like it, you haven't lost any money 'cause it's FREE, as is almost every piece of software you would run on it. You can run Firefox (#2 most used web browser) and Thunderbird (made by the same people as Firefox) for Internet browsing and email, and OpenOffice for anything you would use Microsoft Office for ( again FREE, as opposed to $100-$300 for Microsoft equiv.).......

Give Linux Mint 7 a spin.  I've tried several Linux distros.  IMHO Mint 7  is the easiest for refugees from Windows to get used to and run.

It's Ubuntu under the hood but has some nifty user friendly stuff that Ubuntu doesn't have.

http://www.linuxmint.com/start/gloria/

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Hold out for Windows 7. I've been using it this week, and it's fucking awesome. I like it better than XP. It's very well done.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This. Vista blows chunks.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#18]
A lot of places are offering a free upgrade to 7 with Vista machines. Look for one with that offer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#19]
XP with Service Pack 3
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one knows for sure  

Software release dates are notoriously unreliable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#21]
iATKOS v7
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#22]
if you buy vista now you get a free upgrade to win 7 when it comes out. link newegg.com also had some details and I beleive you can purchase the oem version of vista and get a coupon for free upgrade. take a look
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

A lot of places are offering a free upgrade to 7 with Vista machines. Look for one with that offer.

This.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm running Windows 7 gold now and it's awesome.  Get vista for now and Dell will throw in the windows 7 upgrade when it's available.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Get Vista with the free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out in the fall... or wait until Windows 7 comes out in the fall. Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#26]
link 109 for home premium vista with windows 7 free upgrade coupon. Im running windows 7 and like it alot
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#27]
i badmouthed vista for a long time, kept xp on my desktop. my laptop came with vista home premium. i set it up to look like xp. i hated vista.

i had to reinstall vista on my laptop recently, so i started playing around with it some. i gotta say, its not bad. its not as bad as some make it out to be. i like it. i'll be upgrading my desktop to vista soon.

can't go wrong with either xp or vista, imo. or hold out for windows 7.

JT
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Vista is the new WinME - skip it.  Get XP and then later borrow a Win7 CD from another Dell system and install it.  You don't need to buy it because of Dell's "Royalty BIOS."
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Been using 64 bit Vista over a year now with no problems.

Same here.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I would go with the Mac OS , but if you have to go with Windows, wait till windows 7. That way, you will save room on your hard drive when you are trying to upload your software from vista to windows 7.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+1

Vista isn't as bad as it used to be and Win 7 is damn good.  I think Dell has the free upgrade offer, so you should be set.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Dos 6.1..

Now? XP sp3. If you can get free upgrade then do whatever. Been running some version of Windows since 3.0. Vista has issues on a business network, home use is eh..IMO..
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one knows for sure

Which meas a no buggy version available a year later.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

+1000
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#35]

I bought a laptop a couple weeks ago from Best Buy

Most major retailers should be offering a FREE upgrade to Windows 7 with purchase.  I waited until this was offered before I bought one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll probably get flamed for this but I use XP at work, always problems, I've used Vista, what a nightmare (well at least when it first came out, I work for Dell at the time so...) .

My personal desk top runs my favorite, most stable windows of all (IMHO) 2000 pro.
Never in all the time I've used it has it ever failed me. I will continue to use it until long after MS stops supporting it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I run XP on my home machine.  The few Vista machines I have used are slow to load, and aren't as user friendly.  That said, neither owner of those has tried to do anything with them to make it better either.  Pluss, I think they got and XP level machine with a very new Vita installed.  But just less memory shouldn't cause the sluggishness I see.

And, if I waited for 7, I wouldn't run out to be the first on my block to use it either.

How much memory is 7 going to need to run right(not just the minimum)  compared to Vista and/or XP?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I downloaded 7 for free last night from Microsoft
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Get both.

Windows XP and Windows 7 that is.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one knows for sure  

Software release dates are notoriously unreliable.

Yes, but it's released to manufacturing (RTM).

It's on its way.

And FWIW, 7 allows you to run an XP virtualization too, IIRC.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm a Mac user, but my understanding is that it'll be a LOT easier to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 than from XP to Windows 7.

So *if* I felt I'd be using Windows 7 in the future, I'd get Vista now, to minimize the hassle and cost of a future upgrade. I know that's a big "if", since Windows 7 could be just as big a nightmare as Vista.

Anyway, here's a Wall Street Journal article that discusses this question.

Of course the best solution is to get a Mac.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

+2

Vista came on my laptop - I installed XP and it worked great - bought a 500gb drive and decided to give Vista a second try since they've had a few years to fix things. - Wrong Choice!

Vista has been stuck in an endless Windows update loop - trying to install SP1 also fails.

Aero looks nice, but whats the point when the PC is in a near useless state.

I wiped the drive and put in the W7-32bit - after the install completed I ran Win update - Once, bam a complete ready to use PC, I was shocked and thrilled. I will be ponying up my cash when the retail edition is released.

Vista might inspire a not so Accidental Discharge into your PC. - just a warning form those who have been there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#43]
XP then wait
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#44]

DO NOT GET XP ON A NEW COMPUTER

If you get Vista Home Premium or above most computer makers are now offering a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released. If you get the computer with XP most offer no free upgrade you will most likely have to buy Windows 7.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Wait for windows 7 or a deal on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And, if I waited for 7, I wouldn't run out to be the first on my block to use it either.

How much memory is 7 going to need to run right(not just the minimum)  compared to Vista and/or XP?

Win 7 runs just fine on netbooks with 1GB or less of RAM.  Load times and application speed are very comparable with XP.  It's just not the memory hog that Vista is.  As hard as it is for many people to admit, Microsoft actually got it right this time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hold out for Windows 7. I've been using it this week, and it's fucking awesome. I like it better than XP. It's very well done.

What he said.

I've been using in since the first beta came out and it's the best MS OS in some time.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#48]
wait a month and buy a new PC with Win7
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Win 7 runs just fine on netbooks with 1GB or less of RAM.  Load times and application speed are very comparable with XP.  It's just not the memory hog that Vista is.  As hard as it is for many people to admit, Microsoft actually got it right this time.

Don't waste your time.

People that keep repeating such nonsense here have been told that overe and over, they are not going to listen, they are not the least bit interested in the facts they just want to spread FUD and BS.

Everyone who wants to actually know has already found out Windows 7 outperform Vista AND XP on pretty much any computer made in the last eight years.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Win 7 is far more optimized and memory efficient than Vista is.

I'm running it on a dual core AMD 1.7GHz with 2GB RAM, a dual core 2.0 AMD with 3GB of RAM, and on a 2.8GHZ AMD dual core with 4GB or RAM. All run very well. The 1.7GHZ dual core ran it well with 1GB of memory, but I upgraded it because the memory was constantly 75% used. It still ran fine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top