Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2009 8:12:19 AM EDT
Visitiing my son this weekend who moved to Chicago in May. He was moving from a room he rented near China Town to a room in a house near Logan Square. Took us an hour to drive from one to the other to move him. Traffic is horrible but this is one big ass city.  When be got to back to hotel near Michigan and Wacker, there were thousands of bicyclists riding down the street.   Been 30 years since I've been in Chicago and I had forgotten how big it is.   The wife and I are doing some sightseeing today.  

It is interesting to listen to my son. We are from outside of Detroit and compared to Chicago, he says, Detroit is like a bombed out city.  Lots of stuff to do in Chicago all the time.  I would have to agree, the contrast is startling. People all over the place all the time in Chicago.  

For  those outside of Michigan, understand that there are 4 million people in the Detroit metro area. Most live in the suburbs now. SE Michigan is actually a pretty nice place, but it is quite a contrast between the metro area and the city of Detroit itself.  At one time there were nearly 2 million people who lived in the actual City of Detroit, population is now 800K and falling. The only people left are the ones who can't get out,  

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
house near Logan Square......... Start looking for some where else to live. unless your son is a Latino gang banger.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
3100 N Lincoln Ave, Charley's Surplus.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Never been, but will be visiting a friend who moved there in a few weeks.  Hear its big, but I was raised outside NYC so I guess I'll just see how it compares.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Chicago is a great city, just terrible weather in the winter.  Sounds like you may not venture outside MI too much, if this is the case I would highly recommend a visit to NYC and San Fransisco.  Both are great cities and NY will make Chicago look pretty small in comparison.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I went through O'Hare once. Never saw the city, but I'm pretty sure there were people living right there at the airport. They had to, couldn't find the way out!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Try visiting Jacksonville, FL sometime.

Biggest city area-wise in the country, it is the entire Duval county.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Jacksonville has a smaller metro population than kansas city. Not that big.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jacksonville has a smaller metro population than kansas city. Not that big.

I said area-wise.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#9]
U - 505  german submarine i suggest the onboard tour.

enjoy the food and the city!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Never been, but will be visiting a friend who moved there in a few weeks.  Hear its big, but I was raised outside NYC so I guess I'll just see how it compares.

New York is bigger.  Twice as big.  There is no American equivalent to NYC.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Chicago does have the best pizza on the planet!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I always loved Chicago, great city.  Damn, now I'm craving an Italian Beef sandwich  but I don't think

there is one place in the whole state of Utah that sells one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always loved Chicago, great city.  Damn, now I'm craving an Italian Beef sandwich  but I don't think

Try Portillos. They ship the fixins.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Cool city.

Some of the shittiest weather and politics in the country tho
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try Portillos. They ship the fixins.

Thanks! I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YUCK!! Its either a cracker or a cake. East coast big slice fold em like a sandwich is the king.

Portillo's jumbo dogs with everything, and Italian beef, or combo's are to die for.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lived in Chicago for 3 years, hated it!  But the pizza is damn good, mom & pops not the chain shit.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Been there once and wouldnt go back at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Chicago is a world class city and prior to Daley was a decent, but still very corrupt, place to live.

When Maxwell St. was killed off, the city died.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

stay in podunk and enjoy the fragrance of nature!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

papa charlies
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

stay in podunk and enjoy the fragrance of nature!

I'm more than happy to stay in podunk. The taller the buildings the more libs there are.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Isn't that area (Bucktown) becoming the new Gay area?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#24]
For Italian beef sammiches, it's Carms, Buonos, or Portillos. And make mine wet, with xtra sweet peppers! Or try a combo(Italian beef and Italian suasage)....even more goodness.
That's one thing I really miss about living there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

New York is bigger.  Twice as big.

Manhatten, or the 5 Burroughs?

If you're using the Burroughs, compare to Cook Co.  Chicagoland is larger in area than 5 NYC Burroughs.  The sprawl outside Chitown is definitely bigger, but the population density would favor NYC.  Pretty sure the area around LA has them both beat.

There is no American equivalent to NYC.

On that, we'll agree.

<== Grew up >15 mi from Manhattan, work regularly in Chicago.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Drive across LA if you want big. Better yet, drive from LA to San Diego. You'll never leave the "city" except for Camp Pendleton. Over 125 miles of people. You're never alone on I-405. Never.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago.  It really is a fun city to visit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chicago is a great city, just terrible weather in the winter.  Sounds like you may not venture outside MI too much, if this is the case I would highly recommend a visit to NYC and San Fransisco.  Both are great cities and NY will make Chicago look pretty small in comparison.

Actually, I been to NYC, LA, San Francisco, and most of the other big cities in the US numerous times.  Just been a long time 30+ years since I was in Chicago, I had forgotten how spread out it was.  

FYI, my son loves Chicago the city, hates the traffic, the prices, the  politics and the fact he can't have his guns there.  He also misses Michigan. Except for Detroit, Michigan really is a nice place. Lots more trees there.

BTW, we did have some damn good pizza last night.

The biggest thing I noticed walking around dowtown today is that this city is full of white people.  I don't mean that in a good or bad way. Just a large contrast to Detroit which only has white people in it  when a sports team is playing and then only in a relatively small area. Chicago, large urban city full of white people, who'd of thunk?  

Boy do I sound like a rube or what?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Hot Doug's of Chicago!
Mmmmmmm, duck fat french fires.

http://www.hotdougs.com
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm from Chicago originally but have been here in SE Michigan for over 15 years.  

I go back often for the friends and food.  One of my favorite restaurants.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm from Chicago originally but have been here in SE Michigan for over 15 years.  

I go back often for the friends and food.  One of my favorite restaurants.

Is it better than some of the resturants in Greektown?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#33]
FYI, looking at the demographics of Chicago, NYC, LA and Detroit it is as follows. Note these are populations within the city limits not the surrounding metro areas.

Chicago population 2.8 million in 227 sq miles
NYC-8.2 mill in 304 miles
LA -9.8 million in 469 sq miles
Detroit- 0.8 mill in 138 sq miles

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Needs to be nuke from orbit...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#35]
yes, there are a lot of fatties in chicago.

if you have a chance, check out the menu at avec - on w. randolph st. small, casual, and consistently one of the best meals i have.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

FYI, looking at the demographics of Chicago, NYC, LA and Detroit it is as follows. Note these are populations within the city limits not the surrounding metro areas.

From wiki, Jax is: 885 sq mi ([[109_m²|2,264.5]] km2)

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#37]
we're pikers compared to the brazilians:

sao paulo has 11 million people in their metro area, with about 20M total in the surrounding areas.  i think the metro area is ~500 square miles.

no thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is incorrect. LA is more like 3.7 million in the city, according to the 2000 census.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0644000.html
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#39]
A buddy made this image of Chicago:

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
we're pikers compared to the brazilians:

sao paulo has 11 million people in their metro area, with about 20M total in the surrounding areas.  i think the metro area is ~500 square miles.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp101/cart08/saopaulo.jpg

no thanks!

Pretty big, but Tokyo has over 35 million in its Metro area.  Pretty much destroys every other major metro area as far as overall population goes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The biggest thing I noticed walking around dowtown today is that this city is full of white people.  I don't mean that in a good or bad way. Just a large contrast to Detroit which only has white people in it  when a sports team is playing and then only in a relatively small area. Chicago, large urban city full of white people, who'd of thunk?  

You are just not in the right spots
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Been to Chicago, had to drive a work truck through down-town and try to park. You want to talk about ridiculous!  And nobody in the entire city knows how to drive.

I'll stick to podunk.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Chicago aside from its Mayor and guns laws is a beautiful city.  Grant Park, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Brookfield and Lincoln Park Zoo, Art Museum.... lots of things to see and do.  As others have said, the food is absolutely fantastic.  Find a Lou Malnattis and have a pizza, they're excellent.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I grew up in the Northwest suburbs, was practically raised at Billy Goats, and left in '74. Went back to Chicago for my Grandfathers funeral three years ago. Once I had my Italian beef sandwich and a hot dog, I was ready to GTFO.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Also felt very paranoid CCW'ing in that city, what with it being a felony and all.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is incorrect. LA is more like 3.7 million in the city, according to the 2000 census.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0644000.html

The number for NYC above includes the 5 Burroughs (roughly equivalent to a county-sized chunk of land encompassing two entire islands, a large chunk of Long Island, and a small piece of NYS [the Bronx] - not just Manhatten/NYC proper).  Compare to Cook County, IL (5.3 Mil, 946 Sq. Miles), and LA County, CA (9.8 Mil, 4k Sq. Miles) for corollaries.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#49]
they make a pizza pot pie, its awesome

http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#50]
PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!

Just do it!!!!

Followed by a Chicago Hotdog!!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top