User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 2:37:29 PM EDT
Anyone taken a class?

Thoughts?

considering an evening class
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for it. Acting helps you become a better speaker, a much better reader, and a more insightful critic of theater and movies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotta be full of poon!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
if the chicks are hawt, why not?

but all of your buddies are gonna say you're  teh ghey.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Acting worked wonders for Team America.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go for it. Acting helps you become a better speaker, a much better reader, and a more insightful critic of theater and movies.

I'm considering it to improve for voice-over work
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Pie central

Tell one of them that you're really blown away by how she really gets into a character, really plays the part well, and then ask her for help/tutoring.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm considering it to improve for voice-over work

Voice-over work is real tough to break into, at least in this market. My next-door neighbor is a sports announcer, and did a couple promo spots that were terrific. He told the engineer/producer that he was available to do voice-over work for anything else. The producer gave him one of these:
and basically said he'd add my neighbor's name to the 10,000 or so names he's already got.

Still, it's another skill that can't really hurt. Plus it could be fun! I still have parts of The Odd Couple memorized from 8th grade. That was like, umm, 30+ years ago!

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I say go for it if it interest you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
If it is just to pick up chicks, then cool. If is is so you can participate in Taming of the Shrew, Or the Pirates of Penzance, or whatever, then I can't help you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
My uncle is acting now.

He took a commercial acting class in L.A. and started getting jobs not long after he finished.  He's been in a music video and a commercial, so far, and he finished the class about 9 months ago.

I was talking to a girl at the bar last night who does the same type of acting in NYC.  She gets paid anywhere from $100-$400 to sit in the background while a commercial is shot.  Easy job, and you get to have a lot of fun on set.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#14]
A friend of mine took acting classes a few years back, and was always going to casting things, and working hard to get that SAG card (we were stationed in CA at the time).. I remember the day he was all excited, he got to dance in a Mexican Coors commercial.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#15]
If your married it will be Divorce Court (Trust me)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My uncle is acting now.

He took a commercial acting class in L.A. and started getting jobs not long after he finished.  He's been in a music video and a commercial, so far, and he finished the class about 9 months ago.

I was talking to a girl at the bar last night who does the same type of acting in NYC.  She gets paid anywhere from $100-$400 to sit in the background while a commercial is shot.  Easy job, and you get to have a lot of fun on set.

400 bucks an hour to sit on my ass?

My life has been wasted.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My uncle is acting now.

My life has been wasted.

my acting buddy tells me that type of payment is per day (or more specifically, 8hr period)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If your married it will be Divorce Court (Trust me)

single.

and I'm not too keen on drama queens* .... but having fun in the meantime ............ well I'm ok with that.

*yes they can all be drama queens but I'm talking the one's who are predisposed to it lol
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Lots of crazy sluts in those classes.  Make sure to tell them your uncle is a Hollywood producer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#20]
if you aren't certain about the class, are there any community theatre groups in your area? or local universities with clubs that could expose you to higher levels of production than a community college and without the cost?

most of the voice over guys i know come from a radio background. not sure if it's because it's easier to find clients or make the connections that way or if it somehow prepares them better. at least one does the community theatre. the others probably don't have the stage appeal needed.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Hairy armpit poon with less than adequate personal hygiene.  Full of all sorts of illness, including various stages of mental disorders from mild to wild.  Including the stalking types to manic depressives in need of institutional care.

Been there, done that.  Fun, sure.  If you are brave.  

If you want to speak in public well, Toastmasters.  If you want to be crazy, associate with the thespians.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hairy armpit poon with less than adequate personal hygiene.  Full of all sorts of illness, including various stages of mental disorders from mild to wild.  Including the stalking types to manic depressives in need of institutional care.

Been there, done that.  Fun, sure.  If you are brave.  

If you want to speak in public well, Toastmasters.  If you want to be crazy, associate with the thespians.  

Well .................

2.  One of the couples at my table on a cruise, the husband, had done acting on a whim.  He took a class on acting and ended up doing some commercials just like that.
My point here is that there are plenty of 'normal' people out there.

Ok, but now #1:

You have to remember I'm in south florida where there's less chance of that than say, Ohio
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My uncle is acting now.

My life has been wasted.

my acting buddy tells me that type of payment is per day (or more specifically, 8hr period)

Right, I meant per day, not per hour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top