Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/31/2009 1:23:10 PM EDT
Did you think it was a good game? I know a lot of people bitch about being able to get killed with one shot but that made me like it more then COD or MOH type games where you could 'heal'. I liked the oil rig & desert convoy ambush missions.

In case anyone forgot or never played it.

Plot
It is the year 1999.

RAINBOW is a newly created multinational counter-terrorism unit, composed of elite soldiers from NATO countries, formed to address the growing problem of international terrorism. The organization's director is John Clark, and the team leader is Ding Chavez. The term "Rainbow Six" refers to the director of the organization, John Clark.

Soon after its inauguration, RAINBOW finds itself responding to a series of seemingly unrelated terrorist attacks by the Phoenix Group, a radical eco-terrorist organization. Throughout its investigation, RAINBOW is assisted and advised by John Brightling, chairman of the powerful bio-tech corporation Horizon Inc.

However, RAINBOW eventually learns that the Phoenix Group is actually a front for Horizon Inc itself. Brightling's company is developing a super-virus, codenamed "Shiva", with the ability to kill every human being on the planet. In order to protect "mother nature," John Brightling is planning to kill the entire human race, sparing only Brightling's chosen few, who will re-emerge and rebuild the planet into a scientific and environmentally-friendly utopia. To achieve this goal, he has used the scattered terrorist attacks to create fear of terrorism, which he then exploited in order to secure a security contract for his own private security firm at the Olympic games. Brightling's plan is for his "security personnel" to unleash the virus at the games, spreading it to all the countries of the world.

RAINBOW succeeds in preventing the release of the virus at the Olympic games, and Brightling and his collaborators retreat to their Horizon Ark facility in the Brazilian jungle, from which they had originally planned to weather out the global holocaust. RAINBOW infiltrates the facility, killing all of Brightling's collaborators and capturing Brightling himself.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Vegas series for 360.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Loved it
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I way dug the original. I had it when it first came out.

I picked up R6: Vegas 2 for my PS3 and pretty much hate it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The book was even more amazing....and the movie should be awesome too!!! John Woo is directing!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone find a list of the original game's levels. You can't search for "raindow 6" anyhting without the "Vegas" game getting ALL the results.

I think I will play it again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Book was awesome, original games were amazing.  The new Vegas series is ok, but I miss how it was before.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#9]
big fan of vegas myself
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Good game, I still have the original R-6 and Mission Pack: Eagle Watch from 1998.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Great gook... Great game.  

I was over in Korea in around the time the first game came out on PC.  My buddies and I would spend hours playing that game on-line at a "PC bar" downtown.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Whats diffrent about the originals and Vegas? Did Vegas try and copy COD?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Loved the original R6 games. Tried to play Vegas and instantly thought WTF is this fucking bullshit? And uninstalled. The game series is Rainbow Six, not "Another Average FPS."
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#14]
What is with the guys saying they loved the first game but hated Vegas?  
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I loved vegas
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't have a PC when the original came out. Got into the series at "Rogue Spear". Loved everyone since.
Quoted:

Not copy CoD as much as be like most other FPS. Weapons are in view like most FPS as opposed to just the cross-hairs in the older games. Less strategy is needed/used. Linear stages/gameplay. Cut-scenes. You and two other AI team members as opposed to multiple teams like the first few games.

I played the hell out of Vegas and still play Vegas 2. Co-op "terrorist hunts" with friend's are very fun and addictive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Never could get into the old R6 games, too tactical for my generation I guess.  Love Vegas though, run and gun!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Played Rogue Spear in college for hours a day. Was an outstanding game. Never actually played all the way through Rainbow 6.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Never could get into the old R6 games, too tactical for my generation I guess.  Love Vegas though, run and gun!

The difference between the original Rainbow 6 and Vegas seems to be like Call of Duty and Flashpoint. COD is more of a lame "run-and-gun" and Flashpoint is more of a simulator.

Anyone remember the name of the 'desert ambush mission'?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#20]
The original Rainbow Six was the first first person shooter I played. I was either 6 or 7 years old, and played it religiously.

Loved that game! Rainbow Six Vegas on the other hand, not so much. "They killed Marcello! He owed me money!"
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I didn't have a PC when the original came out. Got into the series at "Rogue Spear". Loved everyone since.
Quoted:

Not copy CoD as much as be like most other FPS. Weapons are in view like most FPS as opposed to just the cross-hairs in the older games. Less strategy is needed/used. Linear stages/gameplay. Cut-scenes. You and two other AI team members as opposed to multiple teams like the first few games.

I played the hell out of Vegas and still play Vegas 2.

yep, less strategy, but its looks sexy, and you can customise armor and all that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Original games were incredible.  R6 and Rogue Spear had fantastic SP/MP, and the expansion packs were great.  Countless hours of MP action in all of them.

The Vegas games are a different breed.  I'd like them a hell of a lot more if they weren't under the Rainbow Six tag, but they are still fun, though highly different than the originals.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pretty much.  Run and gun, regenerating health system.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Liked it, but the AI for your squad mates was set on full retard.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Loved Rogue Spear. That one sneak mission really kicked my ass.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The original Rainbow Six was the first first person shooter I played. I was either 6 or 7 years old, and played it religiously.

Loved that game! Rainbow Six Vegas on the other hand, not so much. "They killed Marcello! HeBitch owed me money!"

"What do we do?"
"Grow a pair of balls!"

and

"Cover me"
"Fuck you, man! Cover me!"

I was honestly shocked to hear such from what was previously a more classy game series.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Vegas 2 pissed me off.  The gameplay was so slow, grenade tosses looked like they came from little girls and they were not very creative with the maps.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Vegas made a lot of improvements over earlier installments that I much preferred.  I haven't played them all but I did dabble in the first one and Rogue Spear on PC, Black Arrow on the first Xbox and Vegas1/2 on the 360.  Vegas has the better gameplay, by far.  The only major difference in that regard is the lack of deeper strategy elements which I never cared for.  I was always more interested in shooting over setting waypoints.  Even if the story rang hollow in Vegas the presentation made up for it and was still an improvement on the earlier games.  I see no point in looking at games through nostalgia colored glasses.  I embrace the new stuff and appreciate it for what it is.  Plus, what other game lets you don and doff a suppressor on both your weapons on the fly?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Can anyone find a list of the original game's levels. You can't search for "raindow 6" anyhting without the "Vegas" game getting ALL the results.

You know if you put a minus sign before a word in google it will filter out results that have that word?

Like "rainbow 6 -vegas"

ETA: also gamefaqs has what you are looking for.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Rainbow 6 / Rogue Spear were the shiznit.
I spent HOURS on line with friends from work playing. One of my buds even went in and tweaked the game, not only custom mods to the weapons, but he somehow changed the character models and put our pictures on the 'toons heads. It wasn't a "perfect" mod, but it was close enough that we could recognise each other

Taking down the hijacked 747 was my favorite mission. Close second was a modded map of the Mint (Minty Fresh!). MANY intense firefights in that stairwell
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#31]

I voted No.  The only one I played was Vegas.  I thought GRAW 1 and 2 were much better games for my tastes, although they are a little different styles.  I finally caved into the COD4 bug last September, and its been all COD4 since then.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#32]
loved that game,  and that led me to ghost recon,
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rainbow+6+-vegas

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Loved Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear.

Never really did Vegas.

I think they're making a Rainbow Six movie.  Could be awesome but I bet they'll make it like that SWAT movie that came out with collin farrel a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The book was even more amazing....and the movie should be awesome too!!! John Woo is directing!!!

That means it will automatically suck hard...
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Rainbow Six, Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, and Rainbow Six: Vegas were all great. The best of them being Raven Shield.

Rainbow Six: Lockdown and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 are arcade games.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Did you think it was a good game? I know a lot of people bitch about being able to get killed with one shot but that made me like it more then COD or MOH type games where you could 'heal'. I liked the oil rig & desert convoy ambush missions.

If you like the dying from a single shot, get "Operation Flashpoint," or better wait for the new one to come out in a couple of months.
Or get ArmA gold (I just got the new ArmA, and am still in basic training, so I can't comment on the game yet).
ArmA and Operation Flashpoint are very particular (read that, real flaky game play), but once you get used to the buggy game play, it is very neat game. Very hard, and you will die ALOT, but once shot one kill really is true in the game.
I thought Rainbow 6 Vegas was a hoot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I spent HOURS on line with friends from work playing. One of my buds even went in and tweaked the game, not only custom mods to the weapons, but he somehow changed the character models and put our pictures on the 'toons heads. It wasn't a "perfect" mod, but it was close enough that we could recognise each other

Yes! I forgot about the mod community. That's why I loved PC games. I had all kinds of weapons-packs for Rogue Spear. Had custom characters, too. Chuck Norris/Col. James Braddock, Steven Seagal/Casey Ryback, and MacGyver were the only ones I remember.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you like the dying from a single shot, get "Operation Flashpoint," or better wait for the new one to come out in a couple of months.
Or get ArmA gold (I just got the new ArmA, and am still in basic training, so I can't comment on the game yet).
ArmA and Operation Flashpoint are very particular (read that, real flaky game play), but once you get used to the buggy game play, it is very neat game. Very hard, and you will die ALOT, but once shot one kill really is true in the game.
I thought Rainbow 6 Vegas was a hoot.

I'd be careful of the new OFP.  It is not made by the same people who made the original.  ArmA 2 is the most recent one made by the original developers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#40]
The first to Rainbow 6 games were great because of all of the meticulous planning that was involved in pulling off a successful mission. It slowed the pace down, but felt more "realistic".

The games after that took the good parts away that made the first two great, and added COD elements to speed up gameplay.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes! I forgot about the mod community. That's why I loved PC games. I had all kinds of weapons-packs for Rogue Spear. Had custom characters, too. Chuck Norris/Col. James Braddock, Steven Seagal/Casey Ryback, and MacGyver were the only ones I remember.

Yeah, the Rogue Spear mod community was the best one I had ever been a part of.  There were thousands and thousands of different mods, it was incredible.

I miss those days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#42]
We had a CO that we called Rainbow 6.  It was because he was a total fag but no one let him in on the joke so he thought it was cool....

What a fucking douche.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Good game, I still have the original R-6 and Mission Pack: Eagle Watch from 1998.

I have them all (and the beta of R6 from early-98) up to the first Ghost Recon...

I still have them loaded on my desktop image (because I do like playing them).    R6 WAS the reason to goto the MSN gaming zone.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Found my old Rainbow 6 & Covert Ops disks. I'm going to load them back up.

Does anyone know if the original Red Alert will play on Vista?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have them all (and the beta of R6 from early-98) up to the first Ghost Recon...

I still have them loaded on my desktop image (because I do like playing them).    R6 WAS the reason to goto the MSN gaming zone.

OOOOOH MAN.

Totally forgot about The Zone.  Haahaha
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That means it will automatically suck hard...

Not a fan of John Woo eh? Broken Arrow was pretty awesome, Face/Off was kickass, Mission: Impossible II was pretty darn good, and Hard Boiled was fucking amazing. If he follows at least 75-80% of the book it'll be ridiculous!

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

In regards to the OP:

Rainbow six was one of my first addictions! First it was wolfenstein 3D, then it was Doom 2, then it was Dark Forces, then it was Rainbow 6

Now I have to track down my Cd's and install!!! Do you remember Ghost Recon??? THAT game kicked ass as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

YES.

R6 Vegas got rid of the best part of the game, the realistic (Get shot, you die) damage model....

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I still remember the best combo for me:

M16A2 and the 92FS silenced.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

R6 is all about realisim....

Get shot... Get dead... No medkits, no health bar, etc....

You *might* survive a grenade blast if you were far enough away, but if you got shot in the head or COM, down you go...

ALSO, R6 was as much about strategy as it was run-and-gun (Esp the single player mode)... You were the team leader, you came up with the plan, etc... Games were as much won/lost over how you deployed your forces, as who shot first...

Vegas changed that, and made it more arcade-ish....

Ergo, it sucks...

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I played the originals (on PC and N64), loved them.  The NATO mod for the original kicked ass. I picked it up again with the Vegas games on 360 and found those fun as well (for different reasons).  

Book was a snoozefest.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top