Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2009 9:32:34 PM EDT
Got home tonight and let the dog in.  Him and the cats had been getting along well until tonight.  A couple minor incidents early on.  Hell, had all three on the bed the other night, dog and both cats.

The female flipped out.  Went after the dog, room mate was "oh shit"... I went after the cat and dog and broke it up.

I'll be damned if that little bitch didn't stalk him (the dog) and pick another fight.  Backed the dog in a corner and went at him...

So I wade into it again and break them up, tossing her into the bedroom and shutting the door.  Tomcat is like "WTF?"  Dog retreats under the old chair wondering "WTF?" as well.

She seemed to calm down, just talking up a storm with me.  After a bit, I open the bedroom door and I 'll be damned if she didn't go after the dog again.

This time I get a hold of her and she turns on me.  3 bites that punctured, and several deep scratches before I could get ahold of her back-neck.  Even held, she was trying to get ahold of me (have never had a cat/dog do that with that hold...it's like she went full psycho)), dog tries to follow me and I yell at the dog to back off...throw the cat onto the bed and close the door.  

Room mate is trying to find a first aid kit, bleeding all over the fricking place from my hand.  Pissed.

I get my kit out of my pack and grab the bottle of vinegar...flushed the wounds with water, then vinegar, then more water.  Bled a bit but, turns out to be just heavy scratches and a couple punctures.  First time she ever went after me like that.

This, at 9 pounds:

Took on this...at about 30-40 pounds:

And this was like..."What the Fuck?  What the hell are you two doing?"  at 15 pounds....he's lost some weight (he used to push 20).

Is this where I say...  FML  ?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
cat needs a beatdown
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Strange how many dogs won't go full out on a cat even when the cat fighting for blood...
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
OP: You know what you have to do...

-Ed
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I would check to make sure that nothing is bothering the cat.  Sometimes if they aren't feeling well, or something is bothering them emotionally they will lash out at other animals or people.

Though, I will say I have found that black torties tend to go through periods where they are lovey one moment, and then devil spawn the next.

Edit:

Bucca, my black tortie started swiping and biting at us recently because we temporarily brought another cat into the house.  She's gotten bopped a few times on the nose by us, locked in the bathroom and squirted with water.  She knows better now.

Judging by your later post, it sounds like you recently brought the dog into the house.  If that's the case, cats tend to be pretty territorial if you don't know already and if she is Top Cat (which the black torties tend to be), she may be trying to assert her authority.  I would say, the cat should calm down after a while.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Strange how many dogs won't go full out on a cat even when the cat fighting for blood...

Aye.  I think he was around cats.  He was a stray that camped out on my door for a bit.  Could not find the owners so he's been adopted.  Took a couple weeks to get the cats, who were never around dogs much to accept him.  Apparently one hasn't  He thinks he's in trouble when its the cat who is in trouble...and, of course...the cat doesn't really care.

Blargh.  going to be an interesting winter, I think.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would check to make sure that nothing is bothering the cat.  Sometimes if they aren't feeling well, or something is bothering them emotionally they will lash out at other animals or people.

Though, I will say I have found that black torties tend to go through periods where they are lovey one moment, and then devil spawn the next.

I've called her 'demon-possessed' for a few years now.  She likes to figure things out...such as drawers and doors.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
*Sigh* WOMEN....
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd suggest you get checked out.  Cat bites can be very serious.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Are they all fixed???  I'm thinking there's something hormonal going on....
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a cat that looked just like the first pic... mean as a snake! She'd fight with anything...genuine badass. Used to bring me a rabbit every day when we lived at the ranch. One day, she picked shit with a racoon, and unlike dogs, a coon will go 'all out'. I don't really miss that cat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've called her 'demon-possessed' for a few years now.  She likes to figure things out...such as drawers and doors.

haha.  Bucca does that too.  I had her in the bedroom the other night because she decided to charge my littlest cat.  3am and I hear, "MREEEEOWR!" from the little cat (Tilly), who is half Bucca's size.  Within an hour of being locked in there with us, she had jumped up on the dresser by the door and was using her paws to try and turn the doorknob.

Here's a pic of demon spawn.  The room is dark in this picture, but she's a bit darker than your cat––to the point where I can't get a good picture of her without it looking like a negative with eyes, or the glowing eyed devil cat thing.  She's really sweet when she wants to be, but definitely queen of the household.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
*Sigh* WOMEN....

Concur.  Must be kitty menopause?  Is there such a thing?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 10lb Tortie that looks like a long haired twin to your cat. They can be a handful at times.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
My cat is pretty aggressive, too. I remember a friends cat that would slap around two pit bulls on a daily basis and they were genuinely scared of it, lol. Then the pit bulls figured it out and the cat lives ontop of the fridge/ cupboards/ in the shadows now. She stills gets them with drive-by clawings though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm keeping an eye on a couple.  One didn't seem to take the flush well, debating on taking a razor to it to open it up a bit more for another vinegar flush.  The rest have settled down a bit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Fox Labs Mr. kitty next time?

ETA- Might flip the fuck out even more after the spraying.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Hormonal.

Female is not fixed and is going apeshit.  Just had round 5.

Payday is Monday and this will be taken care of.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Rabies, Dibs on the guns.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#19]
If that was my house... bye bye kitty...

I wouldn't kill her.  I'd give her to the pound.

'course, I'm allergic to cats, so I'd do that anyway!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#20]
It's commonly called "Tortitude" as these little females are known to be batty. Also, genetically, mixed orange and black color in cats is always (well, almost always) found in females only. That's why Calicos and Torties are female.

I think I'll stick with male Tabbies for a little less eventful cat ownership experience.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#21]
All reaction to bites and claw have settled down on inflamation.  Psycho kitty is rubbing against me and I'm like  "Yeah..k...what next?"

Psycho kittie is going to be pissed when I get her fixed.  Serves her right.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#22]
keep an eye on it, my hand swelled up like a ballon a couple days after a small bite. took oral antiBiotic for a week and all was better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn, That female looks like my cat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Are they all fixed???  I'm thinking there's something hormonal going on....

are you suggesting one of these?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=906539

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's because they are scared. Have you ever seen a cat go all out? I would rather fight with a dog.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#26]
You might get the cat checked by a vet.

Sickness (or tumors) can cause that behavior.

She is pretty BTW.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I knew it was going to be a tortoise shell or calico.
Was she a stray at one point or does she wander around with neighborhood cats?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because they are scared. Have you ever seen a cat go all out? I would rather fight with a dog.

Cats are like women.  I love to watch MMA and UFC - but can't watch the women fight.  Guys - even in a bar fight - have certain rules/lines they won't cross.  When a chick fights they want to kill the oponent and won't be satisfied until they desicrate the body.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had and have quite a few cats,and while this isn't gonna be a popular thing to say........
When one of mine comes in the house (they be barn cats more or less) they are expected to live by the house rules,disobey them,fight whatever and they tossed-HARD  into a nearby wall,I've literally bounced some off the walls and had them land several feet away.

They behave after and anytime they start up I yell at them and the reaction is something like this-Me Cat Me

Quoted:

I've been bit far worse by mine,just kept it clean and pour the iodine in it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Get her a full check up before the fixing.
Cats get cranky when sick.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a Tortie too:

Very gentle, but extremely clever and constantly getting into trouble.  One of her favorite naughty activities is climbing my dresser and fishing out all my underwear and dumping it on the floor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#32]
That looks exactly like my tortoise shell kitty. I'll get a picture of her up when she comes out from under the bed.

She'll freak the fuck out too, but doesn't attack me. Just my other cat, who is usually the aggressor. I figure it's some sort of nerd rage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to be a fear monger, but Hoppy's right.

My thread and recent dealings with the matter

I too have been bitten/scratched and I fared pretty well.  My wife on the other hand needed surgery and has lost some function in her finger.

They don't turn serious every time, but it's a lot more common than you think.  Cellulitis, if left untreated, can cause serious problems resulting in amputation/etc.

Bites to the fingers are bad place-not much blood flow to the area. Cat bites are bad due to the small puncture wounds they create-don't bleed out and flush the bacteria and have a tendency to seal up.

Look for localized and later regional swelling and redness.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Drank too much and lost it - look at all the empties  
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#35]
This is Isabella, but we call her Bella.  She has NEVER attacked anything and is the most gentle, sweet, cat you will ever meet.  Actually, she doesn't even act like a cat.  She greets my husband with chirps (she does not meow, instead chirps) and kisses (if he allowed it she would lick him for hours).  If he tries to get his face away from her she will reach up with no nails whatsoever, bear hug his face, and try to bring it down to her level.  He can care less about any cat, but this one.  If he is not in the vicinity she will lay on anything that smells like him.  She is one beautiful, strange cat, I must say!  I wish I had more pics of her, but this is the only one I have of her besides when she was 5 weeks old.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#36]
You cleaned your wound with VINEGAR?

Dude, you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

You cleaned your wound with VINEGAR?

Dude, you are doing it wrong.

Vinegar is considered a natural disinfectant.

ETA:  Not that I would use it for that, but I see why he did.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Cats are like women.  I love to watch MMA and UFC - but can't watch the women fight.  Guys - even in a bar fight - have certain rules/lines they won't cross.  When a chick fights they want to kill the oponent and won't be satisfied until they desicrate the body.

Or sometimes they just flail at each other and look really pathetic, at least that's how all the chick fights I've seen went.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Vinniger and silver were disinfectants commonly used by the Romans.  They knew their stuff.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#40]
We should start a Tortie club. I never knew much about them till I picked up my cat from a rescue center in California in 1999. Torties are in a world of their own. She is a blast, but her attitude is very different from your average cat. The Hunter-Killer force is strong with her.    She is pretty difficult to photograph, but here are a couple.  She's sticking her tongue out in the top pic.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#41]
95% of female cat behavior problems can be fixed by getting them fixed.

Do that first, then worry about other stuff later.  After she's recovered, she'll probably be fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Beautiful cat

If she's not fixed, and if the dog has been around for a while I'd guess it's feline PMS.  That or she's injured or sick; cats only attack "for real" when they feel threatened.  I've lived with cats my entire life and have had many many scratches and bites but only a handful that I didn't deserve and even fewer that were serious attacks by the cat.  You will know when the cat is truly distraught and not messing around; they can do a TON of damage for animals of their size.

Definitely make sure the wounds are as clean as you can make them.  I'd use Neosporin or Hydrogen Peroxide and make sure you keep them clean and as covered as possible.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to be a fear monger, but Hoppy's right.

My thread and recent dealings with the matter

I too have been bitten/scratched and I fared pretty well.  My wife on the other hand needed surgery and has lost some function in her finger.

They don't turn serious every time, but it's a lot more common than you think.  Cellulitis, if left untreated, can cause serious problems resulting in amputation/etc.

Bites to the fingers are bad place-not much blood flow to the area. Cat bites are bad due to the small puncture wounds they create-don't bleed out and flush the bacteria and have a tendency to seal up.

Look for localized and later regional swelling and redness.

Yea,I guess I should have added I "bleed" any wound by squeezing asap after I get nailed,one thing I do too is to open the wound and THEN pour stuff in it-trust me you'll find interesting new things to say when you do this!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I knew it was going to be a tortoise shell or calico. Was she a stray at one point or does she wander around with neighborhood cats?

Stray as a kitten, unknown litter, about half-wild.  Was trying to get into a friends house looking for food.  Just sorta ended up with her; ended up calling her Shae, just seemed to fit.  All three are strays of one sort, or another.  Tomcat came from an older couple who could no longer keep pets, and Sam (the dog) just sorta showed up on my door; been here about a month-and-a-half now.  

Shae's been chatting up a storm all morning while I was getting ready for work.  She always has been a talkative cat  Though last night and this morning it almost sounds like she's just being demonic...speed talking and such.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Let me see if I have this right.

Tomcat was the first.
Shey came second.
Sam to dog is third.

In terms of pecking order, is it

Shey, Tomcat and Sam?

Or is Sam the alpha and Shey usurping him now?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew it was going to be a tortoise shell or calico. Was she a stray at one point or does she wander around with neighborhood cats?

Stray as a kitten, unknown litter, about half-wild.  Was trying to get into a friends house looking for food.  Just sorta ended up with her; ended up calling her Shae, just seemed to fit.  All three are strays of one sort, or another.  Tomcat came from an older couple who could no longer keep pets, and Sam (the dog) just sorta showed up on my door; been here about a month-and-a-half now.  

Shae's been chatting up a storm all morning while I was getting ready for work.  She always has been a talkative cat  Though last night and this morning it almost sounds like she's just being demonic...speed talking and such.

May I suggest flashing this to her and see what the fuck happens?

Maybe this will be the result?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Years ago, when my wife and I first moved in together she had a maine coon, appropriately named Lestat. One day he rubbed against my leg and purred at me, when I reached down to pet him he bit the hell out of me, it even drew blood. It seems that was one of his favorite tricks to do to people. I chased the little bastard around the apartment until I caught him, I beat the crap out of him and threw his headfirst into a wall. He had a skinned up nose for a week.

After that he was as nice as a cat as you could wish for. He would jump in my lap for attention and never gave me a bit of trouble. He just needed to be shown he was not in charge and that there were consequences for being a little prick. He was a great cat until the day he died. I don't particularly like cats, but I miss him.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Any chance your cat is pregnant?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
*Sigh* WOMEN....

Okay, I LOLed at that.  It's true.  What can I say.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Let me see if I have this right.

Tomcat was the first.
Shey came second.
Sam to dog is third.

In terms of pecking order, is it

Shey, Tomcat and Sam?

Or is Sam the alpha and Shey usurping him now?

Shae was first, Tomcat second.  Tomcat pretty much lets her run things until she does something to annoy him (such as purposely blocking his view in the window).  The dog pretty much leaves the cats alone, occasionally wants to play with them.  

Quoted:
Any chance your cat is pregnant?

Not unless she's been letting one of the neighbor cats in when I'm at work

I like the fire kitty...right click, save as
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top