Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2002 4:44:27 PM EDT
I have a 2000 Ford F-150, 4.6 liter V8 (automatic transmission). I have 27,400 miles on it. About three weeks ago I noticed the transmission seemed a little rough when it shifted. In particular, there was an audible ‘klunk’ when I stepped on the gas about half the time. I took it in to Raceway Ford and they told me the tranny was done for. At 27,400 miles! Accumulator spring broke; entire system contaminated.

Because it was under warranty, they put a new one in, no charge.

I drove the truck home and it did the same damn thing! I looked at the tranny and it appeared to be brand new; it didn't appear to be just steam-cleaned. I took it back to Raceway the next day and told them about the noise. I test drove it with a mechanic and the service manager. They both assured me that the noise I am hearing is simply the torque converter engaging and disengaging when I work the accelerator.

Have any of you noticed this in your newer F-150s? It’s very obvious and it sounds horrible. The truck did not do this the first year and a half that I owned it. The service manager told me the noise is an ‘acceptable level (to Ford) of play in the transmission’. The new tranny has a 24/24 warranty (starting from 27,400 miles).

I want to hear if your F-150 has a loud-ass torque converter.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a '98 F-150 with the 5.4 litre V-8, about 40,000 miles.

No clunking torque converter.
Very happy with my POS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
My 2000 ranger is doing the same thing (32000mi V6).  It shifts really hard into 2nd and 3rd most of the time, and when just driving sometimes it knocks and starts to jerk.  I gotta take into Ford and see whats up, it just started doing it a week or so ago, and is just getting worse by the day.  Best of luck to ya.

Kevin
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]
My Mustang shifts really hard at 5K from 2nd to 3rd if I don't take my foot off the gas. At least it did until I threw a rod. Now it doesn't shift at all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm on my 2nd F-150 and 4th Ford Automatic Over drive Transmission.  I haven't had any problems with any of them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems Ford has lots of transmission problems and they are not limited to the late model stuff.  It also seems hit and miss whether or not you get one that has problems.  My Uncle has a 3/4 ton '90 model that does the same thing, Ford does'nt know what it is and neither does anyone else, my Grandfather bought a new '99 F-150 same thing, they have a Mercury Grand Marquis not sure what year, and yep you guessed it same noise and hard shift.  Now my Dad bought a new Grand Marquis in '97 not a problem shifts fine, nice and quite, they also have an '89 model that's fine with over 120,000 miles on it.  Me, I decided to go with a Toyota and stick. [;)]  As a side note I bought a '94 Mazda, transmission puked at 60,000 miles, and guess what?  Every little plastic connection had "Ford" molded into it.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I never heard of a torque converter that engages and disengages. They will lock up at a certain RPM or TV position (usually only in 3rd and 4th gears) but that's generally signalled by a very slight "bump." Any chance of taking it to a dealership where the personnel know what they're talking about?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
It's funny to hear all the disrespect heaped on Toyota trucks because they're Japanese and small, but you never hear this sort of crap about them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
1st transmission on my 97 F-150 destroyed itself at 65K. Drove it the dealer with it locked in second gear. Guts were trashed. Second transmission developed sprague noise 15K ago but has 110K on it. This is despite maintenance flush and filter every 30K. Ford transmissions are a big disappointment. Wiring is squirrely too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Got a 99 f150 with 56k on it and no trany problems yet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It was!

In Oct 97', I ordered.........freakin' ordered.........a 98' F-150 Extd. Cab, 4x4, Off-road, Flare-Side with the Lariatt Package, the 5.4L Triton and every other bell and whistle I could find including sliding rear window, CD changer, tinted glass, different gearing etc etc.

Dang truck listed at $33k plus when I took possession of it.

Ran great until a year ago this month.  Tranny started acting funny at highway speed, odd shifting, hard shifting..............when I got home it stalled when I put it into reverse to back up the drive-way.  I had to go up forwards.

Warranty was out and the local dealer quoted me from $2250 to $2600 depending.  Finally took it back to dealer I bought it from and the dude said "Bet you wish you had bought that extended warranty"  I said, no not really, I just wish you guys could make a frickin' tranny that would hold up to occasionally 4x4 use and very very few heavy towing jobs.  I have been really easy on this truck!

Anyhow, the guy let me buy the warranty and he back dated it to my original purchase date.  Sure, that cost me $500 but it saved my about $1600 on the total job.

They said a servo motor blew and screwed the whole thing.  Runs fine now and Still gonna keep it.

FWIW, my Dad had a new 91' 4x4 Ford that shifted way way hard and they put in a new torque converter that calmed it down.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Its about time I didnt get the shaft on something... My 95' F-150 has 110,500.. not one proplem.. not one.  Well the window did break when some a$$ broke in and stole my radio... and it was a stock RADIO !!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a '95 F-150 5.0 automatic. Mine is just starting to slip at 160K. Its been a pretty damn good truck. The one I had before it blew at about 140K.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
My 94 GMC K2500 Suburban has 157,000 miles and it's 4L80E transmission still works every bit as great as the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 They both assured me that the noise I am hearing is simply the torque converter engaging and disengaging when I work the accelerator.

View Quote

Hmmmm...what do they mean by "engage and disengage"?   A locking torgue converter could engage/disengage, which yours is.  But it should only engage in OD.  If it is engaging/disengaging during acceleration in the first 4 gears, then the transmission control computer is malfunctioning.  At any rate, see if they replaced your torque converter (look at the work order), as they may not have when they replaced your tranny...you know, to keep their costs down.  If the converter is busted up inside, it probably would make some clunks.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#16]
That 'new' transmission isn't new... it's remanufactured.  Trust me, I know.  My 2001 F-150 Lariat, with 2200 miles, had an engine oil leak.  They ended up replacing the engine with a remanufactured one.  I bitched about it, but they said this what Ford's policy is.  New components only if the vehicle is in the current model year.  I pretty pissed about spending $25,000 for a vehicle with a reman engine.  I've already started the Lemon Law process, as I have 17 days in shop and the value has been reduced.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's funny to hear all the disrespect heaped on Toyota trucks because they're Japanese and small, but you never hear this sort of crap about them.
View Quote

that's because jesse is there to keep em runnin.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#18]
MC_Man

That 'new' transmission isn't new... it's remanufactured. Trust me, I know. My 2001 F-150 Lariat, with 2200 miles, had an engine oil leak. They ended up replacing the engine with a remanufactured one. I bitched about it, but they said this what Ford's policy is. New components only if the vehicle is in the current model year. I pretty pissed about spending $25,000 for a vehicle with a reman engine. I've already started the Lemon Law process, as I have 17 days in shop and the value has been reduced.
View Quote

I congratulate you for not crashing the truck through the dealership showroom.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MC_Man

That 'new' transmission isn't new... it's remanufactured. Trust me, I know. My 2001 F-150 Lariat, with 2200 miles, had an engine oil leak. They ended up replacing the engine with a remanufactured one. I bitched about it, but they said this what Ford's policy is. New components only if the vehicle is in the current model year. I pretty pissed about spending $25,000 for a vehicle with a reman engine. I've already started the Lemon Law process, as I have 17 days in shop and the value has been reduced.
View Quote

I congratulate you for not crashing the truck through the dealership showroom.
View Quote

Tempting as it is... I need to behave myself.  Actually, I surprised myself for not going ballistic.  I figure if I remain calm and sensible, I might have a better chance of obtaining either a 'new' engine, credit towards my loan, or a new truck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#20]
This is nothing new with Ford.
In the last 20 years, they've had serious problems with trannys.
I have a 90 Taurus SHO and my tranny has busted twice (both under a used car warrenty, whew).
The regular Taurus also have a HUGE issue, I found offical documents about people taking ford to Court over this and winning. Its like they know their shit is bad, but a recall of something that big (tranny work) would HURT so much, so they just deny it, and only the loudest barkers get what they want, 5000-10000 grand in lawer bills later.

My buddy has a 94 SHO with 40K on it and the tranny puked. Form your opinions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think it's your transmission that is crap......Your FORD TRUCK is crap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top