Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2002 8:46:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Guys who try to claim credit for something like that deserve to be roasted, always ask him hi sunit, when he finally wises up and gives you one, you just happen to have a buddy who was in that unit at the same time.

Small world.  Huh.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
If he is in "Military Intelligence" then he should be able to speak Vietnamese?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
i know a guy who alternately claims to have been a captain of artillery, or 5th btn rangers. the few rangers i've spoken with say they dont do arty bigger than heavy mortars.
i dont want to be confrontational, but instinct screams "wannabe".
he's a nice guy overall, but plainly a desk jockey. i wonder why he feels the need to bolster his self-esteem this way? seems kind of disrespectful to those who've been there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The irony is that 30 years ago a lot of guys boasted about how they got out of going.  It’s interesting how things have reversed.  

(And, of course, nowadays we have female soldiers who complain about being denied the right to fight in combat.  Absolutely nobody was saying that 30 years ago!!)

As irritating as guys like your classmate can be, I’m delighted that attitudes have changed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#7]
[url=http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=b25de6a01ca54c55e4a0067ce644aa45&forumid=199]Phony Check[/url]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Classic case of "Munchausen Syndrome".

Meplat-
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Well, I'm sure he endeared himself with the instructor.  Look for him to have all A's next to his name when the grades come out.  You ought to ask him how he has time to come to class between National Security briefings.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy I was taking to jail, while he was in the back seat of my patrol car.

Him: You wanna fight?
Me: That would be a bad idea.  You're in handcuffs.
Him: I could kick your ass.  I was a Navy SEAL.
Me: Really?  Which team?
Him: Delta
[rolleyes]

SeMPer Fi
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#12]
You want the bullshiter of all time....I got it.  A Lt. where I work is always spreading these immensely outrageous lies, and expects everyone to believe them.  My favorite....

While in the Air Force he was returning from a couple weeks leave.  As he got nearer to the base he spots something off the side of the road.  When he gets closer he discovers it is a tactical nuke with warhead attatched on a trailer that had come unhitched from a truck...apparently nobody noticed.  Being the outstanding airman he is, he backs his car up and hooks on to it (apparantly he had a pintle hitch on the back for some reason).  He then proceeds to drive on base, pulling a tactical nuke, and drives to the base Generals house.  He strolls up, knocks on the door and says, "I thought you might want this".  According to him, he was put in for a CMH for his actions.

Incidentaly, this guys favorite saying is "I shit you not".  Anybody beat that one?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
At The Wall dedication there were more Green Berets, Navy Seals, and Force Recon Vietnam vets then in the entire history of the freaking world
Dan Rather...and that jerk off history professor just a couple of examples
[url]http://vikingphoenix.com/public/rongstad/military/veterans/phonyvet.htm[/url]
Everybody was in Spec Ops... Cherry Ass file clerk wannabee dirty lying scumbag sonsofbitches %^#42% "
-Doc "H" 2/39th Inf 6/31st Inf- 9th Inf. Div RVN 69-70
Member-Mobile Riverine Assoc.
LifeMember DAV
MOPH Assoc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
While I've never met anyone that found a tactical nuke on the side of the road, I met a guy once that claimed to be a Ranger in Desert Storm. I was in high school when DS was going on and this guy is about 4 years older than me and is an acquaintance of a friend of mine.

He claims he was "clearing houses" in Kuwait of Iraqi troops when one jumped out from behind a door after he had passed and bayoneted him in the back. The Iraqi then pulled the trigger on his AK but the round was a dud. This guy then upholstered his sidearm and shot behind himself killing the Iraqi and another soldier had to help him "pull" the rifle out of his back.

He claimed the bayonet punctured his lung, which later collapsed. He also told me that it was bad enough to keep him off duty for a 'couple' of weeks. He even went so far as to take off his shirt and show me about a 6" scar on his back which went perpendicularly across his backbone.

After he finished his story, I told him that it was pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I truely hate those pathetic wanna-B's. I have one at work, Two of us are former(no such thing as X) jarheads,so we are always swapping stories and here comes Mr.Wannabee " I was a marine", so I asked ", what was your MOS ? he says "when he went through they didn't recieve an MOS that was something that started after the '80's".

After I finally stopped laughing my a_ _ off, I replied to the idiot " if you want to be a true wanna-B at least get some info on the subject, but I dare not tell the idiot what an MOS was.

thats my .02  worth
[marines]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#18]
A stepdad of one of my good friends truly was a sniper in VN. He rarely talks about it, but when he does, boy does he have some good stories. He once shared the recipe for "slick worm pie" with me. He told me if you were lucky you could throw in some ants to add a little "texture".[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i know a guy who alternately claims to have been a captain of artillery, or 5th btn rangers.
View Quote

You can be both a ranger and an artillery officer.  Each Ranger Company rates 1 Lt Arty Officer as the Company FSO, and each Battalion rates 1 Arty Capt as a BN FSO. Alternately it was once common for Arty Officers in light units to go to Ranger school and earn a Ranger tab, so they are "Ranger" Qualified and often referred to as Ranger (fill in the name) by others, except for members of the Ranger Regts who take the position, that the Tab doesn't a ranger make.  I am pretty sure 5th Ranger (Training) Battalion are the ones that run Ranger school.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow!  

I remember there was even a guy on the old board who claimed to be an old man and a holocaust survivor... got everybody quite worked up over it, in fact.

Wonder why?

[;)]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#22]
OK,you guys are tuggin' at my heart strings now.
I have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to claim to be something they were not.
Claiming to be a nam vet though has got to be the lowest.
I mean a nam vet!
Guys that had a hard enough time as it was!
Have met/run into plenty through the years.Always claiming to be Marines/Seals/Recon/SOG/Rangers/Snipers ect,ect.
How sad is their own life that they have to claim to be someone else?
Maybe the worse was a friend of mine from high school that said,a few years ago,"gee,I really wish I had gone-NOW".
You are what you are-be proud of that!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I was a 203MD in the 6908th and 6990th in the Air Force Security Service (Military Intelligence). I can tell you that not all people in the units spoke Vietnamese. We did have analyst who took what we intercepted and translated and then did whet ever they did with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess what really gets me is that I knew guys that were clerks,cooks,mechs,drivers,fo's,supply,fdc,ect,ect ect.Non grunts,non legs.
Just guys that had enlisted or were drafted.
KIA's.
No wannabe's ever claim to be those guys.
It just chaps me.
If you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
"...yeah, I was in sang-bang, dang-gong, special-unit-aiborne battalion,...my name was agent orange, yeah agent orange."
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#26]
This one time, at band camp......
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]

[img]www.phonyveterans.com/bullshit.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Ask that fat bastard to see a copy of his DD214, he'll surely have that, won't he? I mean how could he ever get any VA benefits, like a home loan with out it? If he doesn't have it, slap him upside his fat head, and tell him he's gettin' one of those every day 'til he learns to respect the men, and women that were really there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#29]
jesse ventura was on the news tonight because it got out that he never saw combat when "he was a navy seal in vietnam".  a year ago he made a comment that slammed deer hunting and said he's 'hunted people' or something like that..real vets don't talk that way...i've never met a phony vet yet..a hs teacher of mine was a metoerologist for the air force, i've met a door gunner from the 101st who told me about shooting water buffalos, and a couple grunts.  no 'super heros' though.  once talked to an old guy i met fishing who was in arty in europe in ww2 and he told me about 'arms hanging in trees' and the huge diamond rings the dead nazi officers had on their fingers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a wannabe...broker.  I've been studying for the tests, but we'll see.

While it sounds like he's lying...if you want you can search for brokers at this NASD site:

[url]http://pdpi.nasdr.com/PDPI/[/url]

You'll need the name and the person's current or previous brokerage firm.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Every single homeless "Vietnam Vet" I have ever encountered was lying. Some of the more memorable ones:

"I was in Special Forces."

"Which group were you in?"

"Group?"

"Yeah. Which Special Forces Group were you in?"

"The Dallas Cowboys."

or

"I was a Green Beret in 'Nam."

"Oh really. What was your MOS?"

"What is an MOS?"

"Military Occupational Specialty."

"Trained Killer."

"No, what was your MOS Code?"

"I didn't have one."

"Everybody in the Army has one."

"I don't remember."

"Sure you would. Mine was 98C1PF8, what was yours?

"Classified."

"No its not. I know what the MOS codes for SF are. Were you a 94 Alpha?" (note-a cook).

"Yeah, that one. Deadliest one around."

"From the looks of you (personal-hygeine wise) that is a true statement."

or, may personal favorite,

"I was a Navy SEAL. I can kill a man with one finger."

"I bet you could (by infection, I mumble under my breath). What class were you in?"

"Huh?"

"What was your BUDS class?"

"Man, the buds around here suck. That's why I had that crack pipe."
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:53:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This one time, at band camp......
View Quote

I was waiting to see that appear LOL!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:13:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Every single homeless "Vietnam Vet" I have ever encountered was lying. Some of the more memorable ones:

"I was in Special Forces."

"Which group were you in?"

"Group?"

"Yeah. Which Special Forces Group were you in?"

"The Dallas Cowboys."

or

"I was a Green Beret in 'Nam."

"Oh really. What was your MOS?"

"What is an MOS?"

"Military Occupational Specialty."

"Trained Killer."

"No, what was your MOS Code?"

"I didn't have one."

"Everybody in the Army has one."

"I don't remember."

"Sure you would. Mine was 98C1PF8, what was yours?

"Classified."

"No its not. I know what the MOS codes for SF are. Were you a 94 Alpha?" (note-a cook).

"Yeah, that one. Deadliest one around."

"From the looks of you (personal-hygeine wise) that is a true statement."

or, may personal favorite,

"I was a Navy SEAL. I can kill a man with one finger."

"I bet you could (by infection, I mumble under my breath). What class were you in?"

"Huh?"

"What was your BUDS class?"

"Man, the buds around here suck. That's why I had that crack pipe."
View Quote

Thank you for making my day. By the way, cooks are 92Gs.

Adam
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:26:49 AM EDT
[#34]
The best way to tell if someone is BS'ing about being in Vietnam is very simple...they talk about it.

I was there for 18 months (two partial TDY junkets) and it doesn't come up in conversation.  We may talk about it with friends who were there, or with kids strangely enough (sort of a history reality lesson, not blood and guts).  We also tend to talk about the funny or weird things that happened (or the really scary things)...seems like all three run togethet.  

We don't talk about how many people we killed and at what range (I usually shot one of those bolt guns but was not "officially" a sniper...just a lucky shooter)...it's not considered good manners to ask "did you ever shoot anyone?"

Just because he's really fat doesn't mean he wasn't there, I had an instructor at college, looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy...we was a Special Forces LT. in the unpleasantness...saw the pictures, he was genuine...what a change 12 years made.

Real Vietnam veterans don't wear their old camo or run around with big knives or hatchets saying they were with Phoenix or any such crap. They know their MOS (I was 91T20 by the way).

Gotta' admit, some of us can't rattle off the groups we were with.  I can't recall which group was the "Puken Buzzards"...some of us did'nt care.  I was 9th Infantry (kind've a cookie looking patch, but other than that, was never good at "I was in X Btn, this and that"  Hell, I would've been dead in WWII the second they asked "who played short stop for the 38 Dodgers...I would've answered "baseball, right?"

I've got friends who are feeling guilty they didn't go, sort of never showed they could go through the "test of manhood".   Stupid, but some people feel this way.  I even did up a "veteran kit" for him..set of Class A's, fake DD-214 (easy to do, copies mine and just did cut and paste, very easy to do), a medal or two...peice of cake...told em' "there ya go, now get over it".

My wife's never asked what I did in the Army.  She knows I did something (belong to the VFW) but is polite enough not to ask.  Her dad was in WWII-Korea-VN...we told stories one evening and I learned stuff about her dad she never ever suspected...won't tell her either...not mannerly.

So, have fun torturing the posseur in your class...hang the bastard...for the children.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:34:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"...yeah, I was in sang-bang, dang-gong, special-unit-aiborne battalion,...my name was agent orange, yeah agent orange."
View Quote

Eddie Murphy, "Trading Places"
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Did I ever tell you guys about MY time in the Armed Forces?......
I was in the 287th Tactical Air Artillery Corps in World War One.
I tell ya,.. we were REAL life takers. I flew a Sopwith Camel with special 88mm Howitzer cannons mounted on the wings (it was an experimental attack plane of my own design) Hell, this one time over Verdun we had just finished pounding the Huns with our 88s and we were on our way back to the aircraft carrier when I came FACE TO FACE with the RED BARON.... He took one look at the big guns mounted on my wings and RAN SCARED all the way back to Berlin. (lucky for him I didnt have enough fuel to chase him down)
  Oh yea,...and it was MY PLANE that gave them the idea for the AC130 SPECTRE.
I dont usually like to tell people about all of this classified military info, But WHAT THE HELL, I can trust you guys...right?

OH,...and on a side note, I invented the Internet too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You want the bullshiter of all time....I got it.  A Lt. where I work is always spreading these immensely outrageous lies, and expects everyone to believe them.  My favorite....

While in the Air Force he was returning from a couple weeks leave.  As he got nearer to the base he spots something off the side of the road.  When he gets closer he discovers it is a tactical nuke with warhead attatched on a trailer that had come unhitched from a truck...apparently nobody noticed.  Being the outstanding airman he is, he backs his car up and hooks on to it (apparantly he had a pintle hitch on the back for some reason).  He then proceeds to drive on base, pulling a tactical nuke, and drives to the base Generals house.  He strolls up, knocks on the door and says, "I thought you might want this".  According to him, he was put in for a CMH for his actions.

Incidentaly, this guys favorite saying is "I shit you not".  Anybody beat that one?
View Quote

You mean he wasn't banging the general's daughter as well??
The few times I've heard "top this" stories, I was able to punch hole in them you could drive a truck thru. As soon as I mentioned my Marine Corps service they seemed to lose their steam.  >evil grin<
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I guess what really gets me is that I knew guys that were clerks,cooks,mechs,drivers,fo's,supply,fdc,ect,ect ect.Non grunts,non legs.
Just guys that had enlisted or were drafted.
KIA's.
No wannabe's ever claim to be those guys.
It just chaps me.
If you know what I mean.
View Quote

i think this is the greatest war related post i have ever read on this board. thank you for reminding me of the heros that no one remembers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I just met a short, rather rotund former SEAL. (BS meter: ON) guarding the local stripmall Cellular One outlet from thuggery.  I knew it was coming, too.  I'm standing at the counter waiting for the sales dude to finish with a customer and I see him looking at me out of the corner of my eye, then he starts up with "Hows the weather out there? (He's like, fifteen feet from the door, and in theory should already know what its like)  "Oh, its a little cold, but not bad".  "You in the Army?"  "Nope, I retired from the USMC in 1996" but now work for the Army.  "I retired as a Master Chief in 1992"."I was a SEAL".  Since I go out to NAB Coronado on occasion, it's easy for me to pull his punk card if I wanted, but I just let it go.  I just wanted to get my recharging cord and move on, and I didn't pursue it.  Maybe later.  Could he be a SEAL?  Perhaps, but It would be a big waste of skillsets if his present day job was any indicator.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#42]
THIS IS  A REPOST THAT I ORIGINALLY POSTED SEPT 30

bumped into a person i know casualy yesterday, got to talking about current military situation, and this person proceeds to tell me they knew 12 people who died at the pentagon...kinda unusual since under 100 military personel were killed there...and that would mean this person know 10% of all those killed. then this person tells me that since they had so much high speed training that the Army was recalling them for service,,,now understand this person isnt active reserve, not even Inactive ready reserve. then this fool proceeds to explain that they are Ranger/Airborne qualified, HALO qualified and have over 1300 jumps with the 101st airborne.(yeah i know the 101st is air assault )i did my best not to puke,,then im told this person is also Delta qualified , but refused a Delta position, and has many cental american/south american clandestine jumps. the best part of thae story is that this person is 5'4" 120lbs and is a FEMALE!!!!ive heard war stories before,,,but this was the most outrageous thing ive ever heard!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey, does being a zygote in daddy's sack count as being in Nam or is it just "being in the bush" later on?  Trying to figure out if I can use his stories for myself, although being 24 might raise an eyebrow or two.  Shit, I've got an honest face! [;D]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I was in a college ROTC course for two weeks but dropped it. It was too early in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I went to RVN in 1967.

By 1977 I could tell you every detail of the months I was there.

By 1987 I could still remember names, places and events.

By 1997 I could not remember much about places and events but I still could remember the names and faces of my friends on the wall.

Nowadays I can still remember the names but the only other things I remember was that I got the clap and had a bad night sometime in late January of '68 (or was it '69?)

By the way, as an additional note.  When I went through basic training at Ft Jackson we were given M-14s.  I can still remember the serial number.  However, when I bought my M1A1 a few months ago I had to get a friend to show me how to take the stupid operating rod out.  Dumb memory huh?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#46]
A good friend of mine is always talking about how his uncle/friend (he alternated between the two) was "in the sh*t". If the stories are true, then this person was involved in every major conflict that ever took place in the war.

One of my favorite stories is the uncle/friend was a sniper that shot some Viet-Cong general, and his brain's splattered all over his wife's dress, who was nearby [rolleyes]. The sniper was also fired at because they heard the electronics on his scope zoom in and out [rolleyes] (weren't snipers using 3-9x Redfields at the time?) And of course, the brach of the service changes everytime the story is told.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
jesse ventura was on the news tonight because it got out that he never saw combat when "he was a navy seal in vietnam".  a year ago he made a comment that slammed deer hunting and said he's 'hunted people' or something like that...
View Quote

I worked for a SEAL Captain who was in Jesse's BUDS Class.

I do not think you will ever hear Jesse himself claim to be a SEAL or to have served in Vietnam.

As I understand it, Jesse went UDT rather than SEAL, and never served in a SEAL unit.   Furthermore, he did not serve in RVN.  He may have served in South East Asia (as in the Phillipines, etc.), but my boss said that Jesse flat out never served in Vietnam.

Watch closely, other people make those claims for him and he will not correct them.

There was an Army Major at the Command and General Staff College in the class before mine who decided to wear a Trident to graduation.  The class SEAL (there is almost always one)caught him with the BUDS Class and Intstructor questions and reported him.  He was put out of the Army with over 13 years service for wearing an unauthorized badge, conduct unbecoming, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#48]
In SWA we caught our chubby, unsat, battalion clerk writing a letter home about the night jumps he was making into Kuwait City.

This was 9th Communications BN, 1st Mar Div.  We do nothing of the sort.

His name was Bhueler, just like in the movie, full of shit.

When we got back they kicked his ass out for being fat.

I hated that guy.

Semper Fi Devil Dogs
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Did I ever tell you guys about MY time in the Armed Forces?......
I was in the 287th Tactical Air Artillery Corps in World War One.
I tell ya,.. we were REAL life takers. I flew a Sopwith Camel with special 88mm Howitzer cannons mounted on the wings (it was an experimental attack plane of my own design) Hell, this one time over Verdun we had just finished pounding the Huns with our 88s and we were on our way back to the aircraft carrier when I came FACE TO FACE with the RED BARON.... He took one look at the big guns mounted on my wings and RAN SCARED all the way back to Berlin. (lucky for him I didnt have enough fuel to chase him down)
  Oh yea,...and it was MY PLANE that gave them the idea for the AC130 SPECTRE.
I dont usually like to tell people about all of this classified military info, But WHAT THE HELL, I can trust you guys...right?

OH,...and on a side note, I invented the Internet too.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!  The aircraft carrier kicked it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#50]
This guy hangs out at our airport, once he shows up he doesn't leave the lounge for at least four hours.  We had to teach him how to fly, but apparantly he was just "a tad rusty."  You see, this man flew an O-1 Birddog, an aircraft which he crashed no fewer than 23 times during his tour!!  Amazingly, he emerged without so much as a scratch each time, no doubt due to his superior skill.  Yup.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top