BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/28/2002 5:10:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All i can say is screw glock! My G30 kb'd with my dad yesterday. Factory hornady xtp loads not reloads.

I will post a pic tonight for any that care. Time to find a new ccw pistol. luckily no one was hurt other than some stained underwear.

mike
View Quote

Impossible.  Glocks only KB with hot handloads....(ask any Glock junkie.)

Glad you're ok.  (buy a 1911!)
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to excuse any shortcomings Glocks may have, but kB!s are often related to poorly loaded rounds...not just reloads but factory loads too.
I've seen some pretty crappy QC with some factory loads.  Don't be overly quick to blame the gun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't be overly quick to blame the gun.
View Quote

Why not?  Doesn't KB=Glock more often than not when you hear about it?  I'm not keep a score sheet on it but from memory I've heard the word "Glock" and "KB" in the same sentence more often than I've heard "all other brands combined" and "KB".  Like I said - just a personal observation, unsupported by statistical evidence.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Defective loads are a fact of life, whether factory or hand.  I prefer a gun that has some safety margin built in that can withstand those rare events.  When it comes to Glock I believe I will pass!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry to hear that your Pops had a kB but glad to hear no one got seriously hurt.

When you can, please post details.

Some of the details that I'm curious about personally include:

Was it the first shot off?  If so how was the slide closed? (Racked? Sling-shot? Slide-release?)

Was the mag full when this particular string of fire began?

How recently had the gun been cleaned?

What sort of aftermarket accessories are on/in the gun (if any)?

Have any non-jacketed bullets been fired out of the gun?  How many (approx) rounds of any ammunition type has the gun seen?

Thanks!  I've been thinking long and hard about picking up a G30.  Your post has changed that.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Never hear this happening with a 92FS, which everyone claims to be a POS...  [:P]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Mike,
 Sorry to hear about your Glock, glad your Dad wasn't injured any worse.  A friend recently had the same thing happen with a .40 S&W Model 27 loaded with Federal H.S.
 Please keep us advised how Glock and/or Hornady handles this.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a question, in your pics, the slide has completely seperated from the front lower guide rails. I can't see It really well, but both front lower guide rails appear intact.

Is it possible that the slide and lower frame were mis-assembled and that this led to your problem?

Mike
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Every time I see a post about a handgun blowing up, it's a Glock. Yet some people always seem to want to shift the blame to the ammo. Is there that much crap coming from the ammo makers? Are only Glock owners buying the defective ammo? Denial? I have from time to time considered buying a Glock. I won't be buying one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the answer, BeerSlayer.

Mike

PS - Glad no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never heard of it happening with any of the 9mm, or 10mm guns.
It seems like it's always the .40 and sometimes like in The_Beer_Slayer's Dads case, the .45
Best to your Dad, glad he's OK.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Never send tupperware to do a real guns job.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm glad to hear that your dad is alright and suffered only very minor injury.  I wish him a very speedy recovery.

According to what I have read Hornady will pay for a replacement pistol, since that seems to be the trend.

I would really like to see a full metalurgical study of the barrel steel.  I wonder if Tellurium slipped into the mix.  That is what caused the brittle slides on the M9 pistols.  If the ammo generated too much pressure the case should  blow out into the magazine well.  But thats not generally how they go.

Also how come no ammo recalls after each KB?  If a round will KB a Glock why not my Colt Gold Cup????

Also the side came off because the frame flexed.  Lets keep in mind under CA law a Glock is a "junk gun" because its frame is plastic and melts when tested per "the law".  I heard the Trial Lawyers Assoc. is chomping at the bit for a chance at Glock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Beer - I would do nothing except have the pistol examined by a competent gunsmith to determined whether it was the ammo or the pistol which was defective. Then proceed from there. [b]Not to mention there are plenty here who will want to know the cause.[/b]

Mike
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Keep it as a reminder why not to buy a glock and spend the $273 on a Sig.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All i can say is screw glock! My G30 kb'd with my dad yesterday. Factory hornady xtp loads not reloads.

I will post a pic tonight for any that care. Time to find a new ccw pistol. luckily no one was hurt other than some stained underwear.

mike
View Quote

MIke - glad all are OK. I"m not gonna slam Glock  even though I don't personally like them. I'm just glad nobody got hurt.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Glad to hear your Dad's okay. These things happen with all handguns, but like Richard Gere's rear end people pay more attention to Glocks.

If you contact Glock with your story and those pictures they will replace your G30 free of charge. Good PR for them. New gun for you.
Just downplay, or avoid, mention of lead ammo.
It's in the manual as a big no-no.

M.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I keep hearing these stories about Glock and I hate to hear it happening to people.

I knew there was a reason I hated Glock pistols.

I love my HK's and never heard a KB story on a USP with any type of ammo.

Tupperware is for food, refrigerators, and housewives[:D]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#26]
sure is a funny-looking kB.  Looks like a double charge to me.  There must have been excessive recoil force to separate the slide from the front rails like that.  You're probably lucky the slide even stayed on.

Just my .02, not defending glock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to hear about your Glock and I'm glad that your Pop is allright. I wonder what kind of reaction you'd get if you posted on GlockTalk.......
[url]http://www.glocktalk.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#28]
glad to hear that your pops wasn't hurt too bad.

Now I remember why I got a sig pro when I wanted a plastic frame carry gun, especially when it cost the same as a glock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Have there been KB's with 9mm Glocks too?  I've read about KB's with everything else.  Lovely Bride carries a G19 loaded with standard pressure ammo and I don't want her hurt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Man... get the new one, sell it, and buy a USPc .45, you'll be a lot happier...not to mention safer.

QS
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#32]
While I agree that Glock and KB'd seem too synonymous these days I can only speak from my own experiences and say that I have never had such an occurance.

My history with Glock is extensive and goes back to about 1989.  From that point to now I have shot and owned 2 different 17's, a 27, a 23c and also a 21.

We originally used handloads in the 17 but with FMJ only.  I have over 4000 rds through the 27 with factory loads only and have had zero problems with the 23c or the 21 both of which have been purchased in the last 9 months.

I am not quick to blame anyone or anything for a KB.  Yeah, dirty guns, lead rounds, bad handloads, poor factory QC etc etc but I will admitt to the apparent randomness being somewhat of a bother.

Until I experience such a thing myself I will continue to use my Glocks (mine are the good ones ya see?) for all my carry/defensive/shooting needs.

Glad you and your Dad are okay Beer_Slayer
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Sorry about the KB. I too am glad nobody was hurt. But if you are seriously thinking of just throwing it away, I'll give you the $273 to send it in and happily take the new one off your hands. I like living dangerously.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#34]
May I suggest replacing your G30 with a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact V10.

[img]http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/ultracompact-a.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/ultracompact-b.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wonder what kind of reaction you'd get if you posted on GlockTalk.......
View Quote

Done! [:D]
[url]http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60096[/url]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey Mike - Glad to hear that your Dad is ok.

Sounds like Glock's customer service leaves a lot to be desired [pissed].

Buy a SIG or HK [;)]

Tyler
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Why would a Glock be more dangerous to shoot with an over-pressure round than any other pistol in the same caliber?  The chamber walls aren't much thinner (if any) than those of most pistols.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I have heard of many K.B's usually involves a Glock chambered in .45 or 40 S&W and I have actually witnessed 1 K.B and it was a  Glock. I'm not slamming Glocks, I have a G-19 which has been a great pistol but the percentage of failure in some models appears to be quite high.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Like anyone on glocksnob....er...glocktalk.com will admit their beloved plastic guns to be capable of failure[rolleyes]

They have already resorted to the "he must have been shooting lead previously" cop-out (pun intended)[:D]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Re: glocktalk.com, since when do semi-autos have topstraps?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I have three Glocks (19, 21 and 27), thousands of rounds, all reloads, jacketed, no problems ever.  While the stories about Glocks blowing up are concerning, I have personally seen one Colt AR15 blow up about eight feet from me and personally had a PWA AR15 blow up on me, and I still shoot AR15s anyway.

The moral of the story?  I dunno, but I guess it is I am not risk-averse enough to dump Glocks because I like them, they work flawlessly for me, and I think there is some chance that *any* gun could blow up.  But don't tell the American Trial Lawyers Assn. I said that . . .
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I have over 10,000 round throught my Glock 22 and nothing like this has ever happion to me and way I'll buy that glock off of you if you don't want it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Waldo,

I take it your post was aimed at me.  As I said, I am not defending Glocks, or commenting on them in general.  It just looks to me like the slide retracted quite violently causing it to jump the front rails.  I would love to hear a description of the actual shot - whether indeed it did seem to be excessively loud, etc.

That said, I personally refuse to buy any Glock other than 9mm just cause...[:D]

Quoted:

That sure is a funny looking gun. I'm just sure you put a thermonuclear weapon in the chamber by mistake, them stuck the barrel in the mud before pulling the trigger.

Please check in at the Flat Earth Society (Glocktalk)  For some more abuse.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#48]
In fact, I just decided I WILL buy an old Glock 22 with the express purpose of kBing it.  I handload and it would be an interesting exercise to gradually work up to a kB and see
1. just what kind of load it takes to blow it, and
2. what it looks like afterward.

I'll have to set up a rest that I can use to pull the trigger remotely, but that should be fairly easy.

Anybody ever done this before?

J
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They have already resorted to the "he must have been shooting lead previously" cop-out (pun intended)[:D]
View Quote

Point of information - it was stated that lead had been fired through this weapon. It isn't something that the GTers made up.

Quoted:
Lead bullets were fired in the past prior to hearing it was a nono.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Glock should just flat replace the gun without question. $273 is a total rip off.

If I were in your shoes I would call up Glock and Hornady and let them know that if New Glock and Case of ammo is not on your doorstep soon that your gun and the remaining ammo from the Hornady you bought will be going to American Handgunner magazine for a preduct evaluation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top