Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 6:00:39 PM EDT
Had a catastrophic case failure in a FAL today.
Milsurp IMI .308, purchased right before Y2K.
Blew the bottom off the mag, bent the rattail a bit, no other gun damage, but geeeeeez!!!
[IMG]http://album.gunsnet.net/data/mp40/17_p1626.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://album.gunsnet.net/data/mp40/full_17_p1627.jpg[/IMG]

Watch out for this stuff!! We had a couple others split, but nothing like THIS!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Abend Hannah,

Alles klar?

Anyway, on this side of the Pond I also had problems with IMI ammo bearing the same headstamp as the one in your pic. I didn't experience any splits but did encounter a large number of slamfires in both a FAL and a G3 about 4 years ago. After this I discarded the stuff and didn't shoot any (surplus) IMI 7.62NATO anymore.

Prosit,
RG.nl
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
YIKES!! I have never had such a catastrophic case failure.

Did you experience this with any other ammo?

Are you and your rifle okay?

Have you checked the headspace of your gun? Sounds to me like excessive headspace. That kinda of stuff would scarce the piss out of me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Headspace is fine, rechecked it with gauges when we got it home.
This ammo has had some small splits when fired in my M1A as well. Don't think it was the gun.
FAL is ok, we are ok. IMI sucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Hannah_R,

Was that by any chance some of the IMI that was originally linked, surplus ammo?
Hope you and your rifle are okay.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Dunno if it was ever linked, the source was Paragon. We and the gun are fine, thanks :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a known deal.  It was posted on the falfile web board.

The IMI is good stuff, but dont shoot the ones with the "TZ 80" headstamps.

These are the ones that are giving some people these failures.  Very dangerous.

All the other stuff was fine.  At least, mine all has been.  I believe all this stuff was from that real cheap southern ammo.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Who is importing .308 IMI ammo currently?

Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Headspace is fine, rechecked it with gauges when we got it home.
This ammo has had some small splits when fired in my M1A as well. Don't think it was the gun.
FAL is ok, we are ok. IMI sucks.
View Quote

Glad everything/everybody is okay. I would pull the bullets, and use it another day; and discard the powder and case.  OT: If you are going pull the bullet with a kinetic hammer puller, you have got to break the case neck seal with a loading press and bullet seater. You have just got the move the bullet a few thousandths of an inch to break the tar-like substance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dunno if it was ever linked, the source was Paragon.
View Quote

Why am I not surprised??  I've never heard anything good about Paragon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Pull the bullet and section a case if you get curious. Was this ammo in a sealed case, or bulk packed? Perhaps some shifty group got some of this ammo as a lot of "scratch and dent" and attempted to tumble polish it or used some ammonia based cleaner on the cases to increase resale value?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]
IMI "match" surplus shoots worse then other regular surplus for me. I don't buy IMI ammo anymore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
IMI makes some of the very best brass in 223 for target shooters. I have no idea what went wrong with this 308 but I would never put this stuff in a rifle again. Thanks for pitching it out and not selling it..
I use IMI as my long range brass in my ar dcm rifle and have never had a problem, in fact it is my prefered brass. It ranks right up there with norma in quality but at ww brass prices.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
IMI makes good ammo.  Ever hear of Q3131A we all like so much?

This is related to the 1980 production year, and typically happens to loose packed ammo, of unknown origins.

[url]http://www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000144[/url]

[url]http://www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000521[/url]

I personally bought 1000 rds of loose packed .308 from "southern ammo" and have had 100% reliability thus far.  I doubt I will be buying it again tho....
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:07:31 AM EDT
[#14]
DAMN!..............and I just bought some....(not too much though.....whew!)
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Just pull out any marked TZ 80.  The rest should be fine and dandy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I personally bought 1000 rds of loose packed .308 from "southern ammo" and have had 100% reliability thus far.  I doubt I will be buying it again tho....
View Quote

I have had pretty bad luck with this ammo. A lot of hard primers, but they usually fired the second time through.

I think I had the same problem that Hannah did. I was rat-a-tatting away and there was an unusual POP and the base plate blew out of the mag. It scared me shitless, because I thought my newly built gun just blew. I couldnt find the casing, because of tall grass, but I'm willing to bet that it was split.

BEWARE SURPLUS AMMO!!! There is a reason why the military makes it SURPLUS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#17]
The headstamp on this ammo was "TZ" (Isreali)
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I had the same thing happen with this ammo in a NM M1A.  Bought the ammo from Burns Bros (now Wholesale Guns and Ammo).  After the kaboom, I checked some of the fired cases and found small fissures in the side near the base.  The case head on the KB had split in three places from the primer pocket up the side.  BB tried to tell me it was the headspacing on my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I use IMI brass and bullets, nothing but high quality, I have some portugese .308, it was in sealed battle packs and many were green and corroded.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There was a HUGE lot of 1980-production IMI (TZ headstamp) .308 that was deployed and later water-damaged, and allowed to sit in the heat and corrode.  This ammo was eventually imported and sold here at discount prices a couple of years ago.  That's what the problem is.

IMI is high-quality ammo, but any ammo that's been improperly stored can have serious problems as shown here.  As stated, this is a well-documented problem with this lot of ammo.

-Troy
View Quote

Thanks Troy. I'll bet that was the problem with mine. I'm going to pull all the 1980 TZ out of my ammo can.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#23]
This brings up a related question... What is a safe way to dispose of unwanted ammo?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Small piles of powder can be burnt.You can also flush it.Or spread it out and mix with dirt and water thourghly[good fertilizer]Primers can be deactivated with oil wd40 ect.Turn the brass in for scrap.The brass ads up.I just turned in $140.00 worth.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This brings up a related question... What is a safe way to dispose of unwanted ammo?
View Quote

I'm just gonna pull the bullets and shitcan everything else.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone wanna buy 109 rounds of IMI 7.62??? I'll give ya a good price! [;)]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
                                            Drive the boat five miles out in lake...whatever....drop it in milk jugs full of sand............[spank]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#28]
What a crappy day.

First my Aimpoint CompM stops working, and now I realize I have half a case of potentially worthless (and damaging!) ammo...
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, HKocher, I hadn't seen the warnings about this batch either. Hopefully this saved you some potentially dangerous and/or expensive kB's. A half a case of ammo is nothing, compared to body parts, or a beloved gun.
So smile [:D]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:53:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Good point.  Just think, a month ago, I was being cheap and shooting that crap out of my 91, that could have turned out very badly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top