Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 11:02:31 AM EDT
This is wierd. I had a little watch compass sitting on my desk, and placed my CQB down next to it and noticed that it had a negitive charge(pushed the needle away from the pistol). So I decided to try it with my military lensatic compass. The barrel is negativly charged, and the frame and slide are positivly charged. Why is that ? I'm not a metalurgist, but I would have figured that the pistol would have the same charge, since the metal is grounded together.
And the negitive charge of the barrel is stronger than the positive charge of the slide. When you moce the fwd part of the slide towards the compass, the needle moves away, but it you use the rear part of the slide, it attracts the needle.

Yes, I'm bored!!

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]

The barrel is 416 SS?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, I await one of the experts answers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm certainly not an expert...but I'll hazard a guess.

I would guess the back and forth movement of the slide sets up a magnetic field between the parts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm certainly not an expert...but I'll hazard a guess.

I would guess the back and forth movement of the slide sets up a magnetic field between the parts.
View Quote

Kind of an electrolysis?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
More like magnetic induction. The compass is actually the magnet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the heating and forging process will also create a magnet. Pounding the metal should force many of the molecules into facing the same direction.

Friction with wool will create a magnet so maybe the constant friction of two different alloys will make a magnet also?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

... I would have figured that the pistol would have the same charge, since the metal is grounded together. ...
View Quote

Well, the compass needle is one piece and it has a positive and a negative end - why shouldn’t a pistol?

Isn’t there anything worth watching on TV?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Football
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#10]
To add to what Shadow blade said you can also magnetize a fire arm by mechanical shock.

I used to have a range in my back yard that faced north.  I figured the sun would always be on my targets.  After a couple of sessions I noticed that the ends of the barrels seamed to become magnetic, weak but they would attract and hold light ferrous objects.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top