Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 8:30:32 AM EDT
[size=4]Interview: John Walker Lindh's Lawyer[/size=4]
[b]Christopher John Farley talks to the American Taliban's attorney about his client and how he will defend him[/b]  BY CHRISTOPHER JOHN FARLEY  Saturday, Jan. 26, 2002

James Brosnahan, the chief lawyer for John Walker Lindh, the American accused of supporting the Taliban, had some harsh words for the U.S. government's conduct after his client's first appearance in court this week.

In an interview with TIME, Brosnahan suggested that the U.S. was breaking with widely accepted international norms in its treatment of Lindh. "My opinion is, I should have been allowed to see him in December," Brosnahan told TIME. Brosnahan says he was unfairly kept away from his client for 54 days. "I think our government is playing with dynamite. He has the right to counsel under the Geneva Convention."

Brosnahan says he met his famous client for the first time this week, in a short session before the hearing this week and in another one just afterwards. Despite Lindh's unpopularity in polls of the U.S. public, and reports suggesting that Brosnahan might have private reservations about representing a client accused of supporting enemies of America, Brosnahan insists he instantly warmed to Lindh. "It was really good," says Brosnahan. [b]"I like him. I enjoyed talking to him. I'm glad to represent him."[/b]

Brosnahan says Lindh knew he had a lawyer and so their initial meeting was not a complete surprise to his client. Says Brosnahan: "He knew because they had finally allowed a little information in there?It was good to talk to him finally. I think no one could really understand the amount of adverse publicity that has been poured on his head. I don't think he realized how much he was being attacked."

Lindh was also reunited with his parents for the first time in two years this week. "He was pleased beyond words to see his parents," says Brosnahan. " I think he's glad to be home and he's glad to be in this country. He's a citizen of this country."

It's clear that Brosnahan and his team plan to fight for Lindh in the court of public opinion as much as the courtroom. However, Brosnahan refuses to go into detail about exactly what sort of legal strategy he and his team will employ to defend Lindh in the case. [b]"It would take all the fun out of it," he says.[/b]

Brosnahan is clear on this point: he plans to mount a vigorous defense. Says Brosnahan: "We will be bringing many motions of many different kinds."

See article at:[url]
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,197611,00.html[/url]

Eric The('TakeTheFunOutOfIt'?WhatAnIdiot!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope he's getting a good fee for his time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
We should have avoided this whole matter. This is going to end up costing the taxpayers millons of dollars thrown away on this f*cker.

When they attempted the prison takeover, we should have evac'ed the friendlies. Put up a perimeter to keep everybody else in and leveled the whole place with daisy cutters. We should have killed the whole lot of them including this jackass.

I feel we were obligated by the rules of war to take these guys as prisoners when they surrendered, but they gave up the free pass when they started the assault at the prison.

We'd be better off if this guy was bits of rotting flesh scattered about the desert and nobody had ever heard of him.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[b] " I think he's glad to be home and he's glad to be in this country. He's a citizen of this country." [/b]

!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Am I mistaken or is there a statute that states if you take up arms against your country, you lose your citizenship?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Amen, Bother!

Miss Walker and Mr. (or is it 'Miss') Lindh [u]should[/u] be spending money for travel to Afghanistan to retrieve the various body parts of what used to pass for their son, rather than be spending the money on some lawyer!

Here's another little take on the 'Jihad' Johnny Affair from Jonah Goldberg in National Review online:[url]http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg012502.shtml[/url]

Eric The(WhenWeWillEverLearn?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
" I think he's glad to be home and he's glad to be in this country. He's a citizen of this country."

Eric The('TakeTheFunOutOfIt'?WhatAnIdiot!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Well I guess that's a direct answer to my question of whether or not Johnny's a citizen.

Now as to whether Johnny's "HOME" or not.........

(Thanks Eric, informative post.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#6]

How much does one got for selling his soul these days? [puke]

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess is a couple of life sentences running concurrently.......
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I find it interesting that Abdul's attorney doesn't use "Abdul" when referring to his client.

I find that insulting, demeaning, and discriminatory.  Johnny has a Constitutional right to change his name and to be called by that new name.

Now comes the worn out:--->I found Jesus, I truly love America and the American people, and the devil made me do it defense.

I say book em Dano, Murder 1 hehehe
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess is a couple of life sentences running concurrently.......
View Quote

Excellent !!  (Obfuscation has its' uses.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Am I mistaken or is there a statute that states if you take up arms against your country, you lose your citizenship?
View Quote

I believe this is right.  I think it states on your passport if you join a foriegn military or raise arms against America you forfiet your citizenship.  Anybody got a passport to see?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe this is right.  I think it states on your passport if you join a foreign military or raise arms against America you forfeit your citizenship.  Anybody got a passport to see?
View Quote

I've spent about three days both on and off the board attempting to determine if Walker is still an American citizen.
From everything I've been able to gather Walker still retains his American citizenship.  Now as to whether Walker is an American................

Now as to your part about joining "a foreign military" - I believe prior to World War II a good many Americans flew for the RAF and still retained their citizenship.

I 'BELIEVE' but am not certain that Jewish American citizens are able to serve in the Israeli military and retain their U.S. citizenship status.  On the Israeli side any problems are handled by making them Israeli citizens and issuing an Israeli passport.

Anyone having better/different information please speak (or type).

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#12]
The liberal media hates GWB so much that they will do anything to paint him as a 'mean spirited bully. This story's basis is laughable, but the media libs won't challenge Brosnahan.

Brosnahan's entire argument ignores the fact that the US has signed no treaty to provide "rights" protection to terrorists, pirates or other criminals. Jihad Johnny and his Al Queda buddies could rightfully be summarily executed. Brosnahan says they should be treated as "prisoners of war". To legally be considered a prisoner of war, a person has to be a sworn combattant for a COUNTRY (ideologies/religions don't count).
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe this is right.  I think it states on your passport if you join a foreign military or raise arms against America you forfeit your citizenship.  Anybody got a passport to see?
View Quote

I've spent about three days both on and off the board attempting to determine if Walker is still an American citizen.
From everything I've been able to gather Walker still retains his American citizenship.  Now as to whether Walker is an American................

Now as to your part about joining "a foreign military" - I believe prior to World War II a good many Americans flew for the RAF and still retained their citizenship.

I 'BELIEVE' but am not certain that Jewish American citizens are able to serve in the Israeli military and retain their U.S. citizenship status.  On the Israeli side any problems are handled by making them Israeli citizens and issuing an Israeli passport.

Anyone having better/different information please speak (or type).

View Quote

Information anyone ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#14]
My passport states:

"LOSS OF NATIONALITY
You may lose your U.S. nationality by being naturalized in, or by taking an oath or making a declaration of allegiance to, a foreign state; or by serving in the armed forces or accepting employment under the government of a foreign state; or by making a formal renunciation of nationality either in the United States or before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States while abroad.  For detailed information, consult the nearest American embassy or consulate."

Hang him.......high.

FYI, there is a whole section on Dual Nationals, however to be considered a Dual National you owe your allegiace to a second country  "based on facts of birth, marriage, parentage or naturalization"  none of which applies to Lindh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Foreign military is speaking of armed forces against the U.S.A.

The RAF was fighting "for us" at that point. Israel's armed forces are doing the same today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Israel's armed forces are doing the same today.
View Quote

I cannot respond further with civility so I won't respond further.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"I think our government is playing with dynamite. He has the right to counsel under the Geneva Convention."
View Quote
Excuse me, but since when does the Geneva convention guarantee counsel to those captured on a battlefield, either as a "battlefield detanee" or a POW?  I didn't see American POWs in 'Nam getting lawyers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
They should have just shot the bastard on sight, along with his buddies. Same goes for the prisoners, oh, I mean detainees in Cuba. Stuff a ham sandwich down their throats and put a few rounds in them. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe he will walk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I believe he will walk.
View Quote

No, I think the "Conspiracy Laws" - pieces of garbage that they are - will get him even if nothing else sticks.

I watched a couple of pages of posts maybe three days ago opining on Walker's punishment and that's with none of us knowing whether or not he was still a citizen.  Big difference in the possibilities.

What may be interesting is to see if the government will choose to argue whether or not Walker 'does' remain a U.S. citizen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
He's gonna get about 10 years and a million dollars for his book.

Anyone want any action on the over/under on the 10 years?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He's gonna get about 10 years and a million dollars for his book.

Anyone want any action on the over/under on the 10 years?
View Quote

NO

[:D]

(Edited to add:  You forgot to mention the movie.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I understand that for about a month, the FBI, CIA, and god knows who else interrogated John Walker Lindh on a Navy ship, with no lawyer present.

There were little blurbs in the press about how John Walker visited al-Quaeda camps and even claimed to have seen OBL.  So it sounds like Johnny was singing like a bird.  He may have even embellished the truth, because he probably thought that's what the government wanted to hear and might be easy on him if he fed them good information.

The little fool probably didn't consider for a second that he was digging his own grave, testifying against himself without a lawyer present. His friends and family always describe Walker Lindh as intelligent, but he seems like a moron to me.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#24]
1GUNRUNNER
I believe he will walk.  

I bet he doesnt get far before someone greases his ass...

I hope i have the "pleasure" of meeting this piece of s**t!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Take a good look at the two clowns he had for parents. A couple of first-class yo-yo's. If morons were green this guy would be a golf course. Naturally, his "lawyer" will paint him as a poor misguided young man and will throw him on the mercy of the court. Too bad the G I's didn't nail this dork before he was captured. It would have saved the other inmates the trouble when he joins them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Hold on here, guys.   After all, there's a retainer to be sorta earned, here.

The decision to take this guy as a client was reported to have caused a backlash at the firm.
In the same article, Brosnahan himself was seeming to allow the possibility (not having met his 'client' at the time) that it wouldn't work.

There must be a few guys inside, lining up to get a crack at being his "prison daddy".  Any one got photos?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Amid all this whining about Brosnahan 'not being able to see my client'  for so long, I have to question when exactly he became Walker's lawyer.  During this time, had Walker contacted him?  Had the court appointed Brosnahan?  Does his family wanting Brosnahan to be his lawyer make it so?  

Or does it start when Walker says he wants Brosnahan to be the guy?

My money is on Walker continuing to shoot himself in the foot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top