Posted: 1/27/2002 7:21:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh man! You asked for it....good luck pal.[grenade]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The only problem is that you'll be toast after fumbling with those stripper clips when trying to reload. Which you will have to do after FIVE shots.

Now you MIGHT have an arguement about you're AK74.

But that SKS? That's funny.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Your Yugo gun is like a Yugo car.  It will get you from point A to point B OK.  Even cheaply, but is that what you really want to drive around all the time?  I think not.

However, your point is excellent.  The SKS is a very good semi auto medimum rage combat rifle.  The Gooks used them very effectively in Nam.  I brought one home in 1969 and it still shoots great.  The fire power of an M-16 with high capacity mags are no match in a fire fight with an SKS.  The M-16s nowadays are very reliable, unlike the ones were issued in Viet Nam.

Hey, you have some good support for your theory. Fred of Fred's M-14 Stocks is a big proponent of the American "Rifleman" concept.  He writes articles all the time in Shotgun News.  He has said many times that if you cannot afford a M-14 or M-1 go out and buy a SKS.

I think the bottom line is that I know of no situation in the Cold War or post Cold War that Americans have been outgunned by the opponents using ComBlock weapons.

As for me when the flag goes up I'll use my weapons in the following order:

1.  M1A1
2.  FAL
3.  ARs
4.  AKs
5.  SKSs
6.  1911
7.  10-22
8.  K-Bar
9.  Baseball bat
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Slight accuracy difference, but I like SKS'.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Flash66:
Your Yugo gun is like a Yugo car.  It will get you from point A to point B OK.  Even cheaply, but is that what you really want to drive around all the time?  I think not.
View Quote

Huh?

A Yugo car will work for a week or two.
A Yugo SKS will work for a generation or two...  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#8]
You go right on thinking a sks is better than an AR. [%|]
How about for your next topic you tell us how your yugo, pacer or hyundai is better than real cars OR how about how your 13" black and white TV is better than my color big screen.

BTW when are those LEGP AK's shipping ??
[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/nogood.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool, flash66 has an Abrhams as first line defence [:D]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Slight accuracy difference, but I like SKS'.
View Quote

[b]slight:[/b] (noun) a unit of length equal in the U.S. to 0.9144 meter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldnt plan on getting close enough to use the bayonet.  If you do, the guy with the AR must have made a big mistake.  Consider the bayo a spam opener.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I generally could care less about these "my guns are better than your guns" threads since they're meaningless, but there is one irrefutable fact about the AR-15:

No other 'assault weapon', be it AK, SKS, etc.,  has so many options available and allows the owner to customize the gun to his/her preference, most without even a gunsmith.

That's why I like the AR-15 and no other gun even comes close!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Problem is there are too many (not all) on this board who have AR-on-the-brain
View Quote

Thats why it's called [b]AR15.COM[/b] and not "I_love_my _Yugo_ SKS.com"

AR's rule the roost here, everything else is window dressing.  [:P]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
SKS:  11 rounds, no detachable magazine, unattractive styling.  Fit and finish: Looks like it was made in a tractor factory, and probably was, by peasants with the equivalent of a fourth grade education.   But it's reliable, cheap, and effective.  Few variants of the SKS are to be found.  One is much like all the others.  Doesn't require much in the way of maintenance to preserve reliability.   Can be stored in mud and fired immediately upon clearing the barrel.

AR-15/M16 family: Fed by detachable magazine, up to 40 rounds per mag (20's and 30's are more reliable), cool looking and quite stylish as military style rifles go.  Fit and finish: Excellent to precise.  Usually made on the best milling machinery available, by high school graduates or better.   Fairly expensive, but highly effective, much more accurate than the competing SKS, and customizable to an unreal level.   With reasonable maintenance it's quite reliable, these days.   Doesn't like being stored in mud, but it is assumed that the owner knows better anyway.

My choice is the AR-15 family.  Its superior long range accuracy tips the scales for me.

CJ
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
ya well my raven.25 is better dan all yo shit cauz it be chrome plated yo.

Uh huh.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
HiramRanger
You lurk in the shadows and when you emerge it's always a controversy. How have you been?
What are you up to? Still in the area?
Hope the New Yaer is better for you than 2001.
Gerry
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Yawn...Whatever!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#21]
[img]http://members-http-1.rwc1.sfba.home.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/BS1.gif[/img]  With stink!!!![:D]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Shooting sounds good. I don't drink in public since it would mean I'd have to drive with alcohol in me. Can't be too careful. I don't want people to think I'm a cop (local joke). Have you seen Brain lately? I was in last Sunday. Had a nice talk. Store was just about empty. He had a a PHD from State University of NY looking to join a local club so he could shoot. Signed him up on the spot. Need more professionals in shooting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
"The owners of Russian SKS rifles are above this fray."

ok raf! just because of you, i'm gonna miss all the fun! heheh!

(campy dejectedly drags away his tula arsenal relic...)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#26]
high-falutin club????
Don't know where you got that idea?
Just got my membership card for Brunswick.
That makes 3 clubs. I'd like to get into Guan Ho Hu (sp). They've got the best indoor range around.
Gerry

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I just received a Yugo SKS.  I paid a little more than the $150 that you stated, but opted for an example in excellent condition.  Mine looks unissued, with only minor handling marks.  The worst is on the launcher...................looks like it was put into some sort of rack that rubbed the finish off.  

I feel these Yugos are constructed better than the Chinese SKS's that I have handled.

Not a replacement for any of my AR's, but still an addition to my collection
OSA
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I remember having a discussion like this a few years ago. But this involved the AK47 vs AR15. Man said that the AK was better than the AR15. I mentioned that it may be more reliable but the AK is still ugly as sin and that the AR15 was sexier. Man said that he preferred ugly instead as long as it would shoot. So I asked him if he had a chance to be with a beautiful sexy woman that could "shoot" and not cook or an ugly woman which could "shoot" and cook which would he choose. The guy perked up and said that he would prefer the beautiful sexy woman. I asked him why didn't he choose the ugly woman. After all she could both "shoot" and cook and the beautiful woman could only "shoot." The man said the hell with cooking as long as she was beautiful and sexy and could "shoot." After a moment the man became silent. He said, "I get your point."

Enough said.

Yanqui
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#30]
What part of NY are you guys from?  Any chance of starting a local AR15 chapter here for weekend shoots and the like?  Could be the start of something mahvoolus, simply mahvoolus!
Greg in NYC
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Diamonds are beautiful like the AR15. SKS/AK are like a clump of coal. Someday with the right amount of pressure they will turn into a diamond.

Besides when the beauty fades you can always pick up a new model.

Yanqui
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Russian SKS. Shoots great, probably shot 1000 rounds through it without a single missfire. I love the little thing.  The barrel shows no wear. I guess I picked a good one. :) Is anyone selling the Yugos with out the grenade launcher? I'd love to get a hold of one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The SKS is a very good semi auto medimum rage combat rifle.  
View Quote

What would you choose for extreme rage and or mild rage?[:)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#35]
What would you choose for extreme rage and or mild rage? [:)]
View Quote

Respectively, I'd choose an AC-130H gunship and the largest brick of Black Cat firecrackers they make, with all the fuse lines tied together.

The AR's and M16's are now a battle-proven design with close to forty year's worth of developments and improvements.   I'd bet that reliability in the thousand rounds test would be quite comparable to an AK these days.

It's hardly a big secret that the worst of the early reliability problems were based on bad information ('You don't have to clean these new rifles!'  They were sent into the field without cleaning kits! ) and improper powder selection for the early production ammo.  (IMR powder was used, when cleaner ball powder was specified.)

The AK (or SKS) design may be more resistant to jams caused by foreign objects in the mechanism, but remember that the parts fit is loose as a goose compared to the M16/AR fitting.

The 5.56mm round has better ballistics for long range shooting and is also better at defeating body armor and helmets, too.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What part of NY are you guys from?  Any chance of starting a local AR15 chapter here for weekend shoots and the like?  Could be the start of something mahvoolus, simply mahvoolus!
Greg in NYC
View Quote

Greg sounds good except we're in Upstate NY around Albany. It would be a long drive fro you. Not too may clubs you can shoot at in NYC.
Gerry
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#37]
One good thing about the SKS, it weighs more than the ar-15 so it will make a better club!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm waiting for the Springfield Armory SKS and the Yugo AR-15.  Gonna get one of each.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey Wal-mart sell's SKS Ammo for what its worth!
[:D] But i order my "7.62x39" from a dealer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Now tell us why your '64 VW Beetle is better than my '69 427/435 'Vette.  Sure, it gets better mileage.  Sure, it's easier to fix.  Sure, it has no radiator.  Sure, it's cheaper to own and maintain.  But, when you really, definitely, positively have to be somewhere at a certain time...hmmmm....
wanna trade?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Southern Ohio Guns has the Yugos without the grenade launcher.  $179.99  800-944-4867

And anyone who wants to spout off about the AR is welcome to join me at the range and we will run 1,000 rounds through an AR, an AK and an SKS and we will see how many jams/ftf/ftes et cetera each have.  No cleaning allowed during the test.  You can use whatever ammo you like and I'll use the cheapest dirtest steel cased surplus ammo out there.  I'm betting the AK and the SKS come out far ahead of the AR.

Like I said, I love my ARs, but anyone who can not see the inherent superiority of the AK and SKS designs in terms of reliability is fooling themselves.  Yes, the AR is more adaptable, more accurate and sexier.  But if you aren't able to to properly maintain it during prolonged tours in the field without support, what good is it as a battle rifle?  For most of us it will never matter, we plink and have fun and maintain them and pray they never need to be used for anything else.  But in terms of reliability and dependability, ARs lose.  That's not to say that they suck, because they are fine rifles, but they do not have the track record that the "commie crap" does.

Besides, they are a fraction of the cost, cost less to maintain and are cheaper to shoot and they are FUN!
View Quote

I'll take that bet anyday of the week. and my AR has a grenade launcher on it, no M203 either.
GG
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Let me know when you want to go shooting, I'd love to see this high-falutin club of your's...  Some of us just shoot at good ole boy clubs like Brunswick...
View Quote

Ohhhh...class warfare!  What a troll.  Wait, isn't that a Mason symbol on your profile?  Insert something about glass houses here and the people that live in them...

I'll take my K of C against your Masonic bs any day...wanna-be Arabic crowd too.  What a bunch of freaking maroons.

BTW, A2's have night sights STANDARD.  And a "grenade launcher" but I've yet to see any grenades...They can be modifed to fire from a plain barrel easier than stink.  A roll of HVAC duct tape (the real aluminum stuff) is all that's needed.  Some bushings made from the right sized tube will also work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Hiram have you done gone plumb loopy?

I got a couple of them thar SKSs and I love them like I love all my little children. But you gotta be kidding!

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#45]
can i just use my ak to shoot someone and take there ar?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wouldnt plan on getting close enough to use the bayonet.  If you do, the guy with the AR must have made a big mistake.  Consider the bayo a spam opener.
View Quote

...or a mono pod...
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well, I remember having a discussion like this a few years ago. But this involved the AK47 vs AR15. Man said that the AK was better than the AR15. I mentioned that it may be more reliable but the AK is still ugly as sin and that the AR15 was sexier. Man said that he preferred ugly instead as long as it would shoot. So I asked him if he had a chance to be with a beautiful sexy woman that could "shoot" and not cook or an ugly woman which could "shoot" and cook which would he choose. The guy perked up and said that he would prefer the beautiful sexy woman. I asked him why didn't he choose the ugly woman. After all she could both "shoot" and cook and the beautiful woman could only "shoot." The man said the hell with cooking as long as she was beautiful and sexy and could "shoot." After a moment the man became silent. He said, "I get your point."

Enough said.

Yanqui
View Quote

Rifles are tools, not women. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#48]
If I intend to carry a mid-range 30 caliber I prefer to carry my trusty Winchester Trapper in 30 W.C.F.

Yanqui
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#50]
HiramMason I want to be a mason like you. I live in Fairfax, Virginia, will soon be moving to Gainesville and I'd like to join the local chapter. Will you help me?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top