Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 5:17:27 AM EDT
I have always thought that NG is exempt from the Posse Comitatas act unless federalized because the work for the governor and only within the confines of their state (since the governor of one state has zero authority over another state) So how exactly is the NG from many states protecting the Olympics? Some of the troops are out of jurisdiction so if they are federalized are they not in violation of the Posse Comitatas Act? I don't think it is a bad idea for them to be there just wondering how it could be legal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#1]
They are probably doing this the same way they did for the Atlanta Olympics. Military personnel from AD, Guard and Reserve Units will most likely be handling support functions, like medical support, traffic control, surveillance of Olympic facilites and general security and will not be armed. They may run some security functions, like screening points or roving patrols, that would require duties close to what LE does, but probably will not have any arrest or search authority unless under the direct supervision of an LEO. This would not apply to the Utah guard, however, unless they have been federalized for the event.

To handle the "armed" portions, the State of Utah has been actively recruiting (pre-9/11) LEOs and LE Agencies to send individual officers or teams of officers to Utah to assist. If I remember correctly, the LEOs bring their own weapons, and will be paid by the Olympic committee. All will go through a training program and be provided with uniforms and housing by the Olympic folks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If situation is as you say, I don't think it is legal. But since when does the fed have to abide by the law?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You should see all the new shiny chain link fencing going up around here ...
And all the blocked streets...

Ted...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top