Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2002 2:47:25 PM EDT
I'm sure most have heard this already, but for those who haven't, enjoy some good news for the first time in about 8 years.....

[b]"Bush said that for the budget year that begins Oct. 1 he will ask Congress for an extra $48 billion for U.S. military forces, the largest increase in defense spending in 20 years. Another $38 billion will go toward homeland security, Bush said.

"Every budget reflects fundamental choices, and my administration has made choices to fit the times," he said. "We'll protect our people in every way necessary, and we will carry on the campaign against global terror until we achieve our goal: The peace that comes from victory."

Bush said the effort to root out terrorists with a capability to strike around the world will be neither short nor inexpensive. The armed forces will need the best high-tech equipment available to succeed, he said.

"My budget calls for ... investing in more precision weapons, missile defenses, unmanned vehicles and high-tech equipment for our soldiers on the ground. I will also seek another pay increase for the men and women who wear our country's uniform," he said. "We will spend what it takes to win the war against terrorism."[/b]

About time we had a President who supports our military and all they do. Now lets get some real good teachers for the kids in the U.S., pay'em what they deserve and we'll be just fine.[;)]

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
[i]"Every budget reflects fundamental choices, and my administration has made choices to fit the times," he said. "We'll protect our people in every way necessary, and we will carry on the campaign against global terror until we achieve our goal: The peace that comes from victory."[/i]

The big problem is that he isn't talking about taking money from one department to bulk up the DoD. This will be accomplished simply by adding an additional $48 billion to the federal government's budget.

If he were of a mind to take that money from several other areas in which the fedgov shouldn't be dabbling in the first place, I'd be all for it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Better to make the military what it should be, by whatever means, than to leave it in the state the Klintons did.

Bush is far more likely to cut important taxes during his term than Klinton ever was. Between the two, it's a win for the U.S. I do hear what you're saying, and I fully agree. Chopping down mega-government would be the best ploace for that military cash.

Regardless, our military personel deserve better pay, and they're gonna get it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If he were of a mind to take that money from several other areas in which the fedgov shouldn't be dabbling in the first place, I'd be all for it.
View Quote

He could start by taking it from foreign aid to a bunch of MidEast countries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top