Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2002 1:49:18 PM EDT
I was contimplating the acquisition of an FFL.  Please clue me in on the actual draw backs of this maneuver.  Not worth the exposer or good way to make some extra cash?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
making cash may depend on your local zoning & ability to keep your costs down.

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you up for the rectal exam?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll pass on the rectal.

I can get a business license for $25. Just want to do internet sales and get the write off for the pc and dsl.  My knowledge of small business affairs is zero at this time so I have a lot of reading and research to do.

I was planning to stay with non-FFL req. merchandise, but it seems that most manufacturers want the FFL# to give out dealer info/pricing.

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'll pass on the rectal.

I can get a business license for $25. Just want to do internet sales and get the write off for the pc and dsl.  

View Quote

Stick to buying shit at Walmart and putting it on Ebay.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
only two problems with that

1.  shit IS what you get at WalMart
2.  I hate EGay

Might as well move to Washington and open up a Starbucks.

Point taken Thug.  Big CON.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure what they are, but if you can wait a month or two I'll tell ya after I get mine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been thinking about this myself and have about talked myself into it.  I always wanted to run a gun shop, but the reality of life is a bite in the ass.  I figured I could keep my job, sell a few guns on the side, build a reputation, and if all works out, I can open full time when I retire.  Kinda asked around and alot of people around here are looking for someone to do things as simple as transfers.  Let me know what you decide to do and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#8]
How much does an FFL cost and is it worth it to have simply for your own purchases, or are you expected to have an actual place of business?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm an FFL along with a partner. We had to go about 40 miles outside Dallas to get reasonable rent for a gun shop.

We do all the gun shows in Texas.

We've been doing this for about three years now.

We both still have our day jobs.

The ATF frowns on 'kitchen table' dealers, but so what? They frown on dealers generally!

It's a lotta hassle, I can tell you that! And if you really want to talk about hassles, go ahead and get the SOT license to go along with your FFL, in order to deal with Class III weaponry.

Eric The([u]Nothing[/u]IsThatMuchFun!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to contact the ATF on Monday and get an FFL application form sent.  For some reason they won't post it on their website.  I'll report back with cost, etc.

Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top