[#1]
Quoted:
I have done this for "good will" with him
View Quote

What's the going rate for "good will"?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
No flame intended, but...

Might you think about just why your future brother-in-law was willing to pay $600 to [i]not[/i] have [b]you[/b] do it for [i]free[/i]?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is some hard won advice.  Listen closely because I'm gonna whisper.

DON'T EVER DO BUSINESS WITH FAMILY OR FRIENDS!!!

When the discount job is done you will not have gotten paid what it's worth and they will inevitably think they paid too much.  And anything that goes wrong (the chimney falls off the house) will be the fault of your paint work in the basement.

You think you lost out on $600.  What really happened is you lucked out.  When the paint doesn't look right or the wall paper lifts, or what ever is the consequence of his wrong side out installation of the wall board.  Who would he blame?  Himself?!  NOT!  Learn a lesson.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Go back there and rip your tape and bead off the walls.

Then piss in the joint compound buckets.(The replacement crew will love that "urine stench" when they sand it)

I do drywall on the side and have seen all kinds of crazy,family related nonsense.

Just realize that the guy is a dick!

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
1gunrunner-evidently $600. It went from good will to a poss. side job at that point. I give much free work to friends and family so don't even push your selfish bs on me.

Kbaker- If that is a poss slam on craftsmenship I can make a wall look like glass, drywall or plaster. I work quickly and with a purpose.

I was told tonight that I wasn't asked because he didn't want to pay family because in their family they won't pay each other for things, it's expected for free. No one in their family creates anything of material value. I now understand, don't like it, but understand. I have done work for many friends and family and am still good friends with all, I give quality to all. I take pride in my work. If someone isn't happy I make it right, even paid another sub to do work after letting the unsat person look at their work and then having them do the work. They still weren't happy, but not at me. Then whole thing was lack of consideration, so Kbaker might have hit the nail in the head if that is what he means.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Kbaker- If that is a poss slam on craftsmenship I can make a wall look like glass, drywall or plaster. I work quickly and with a purpose.

Then whole thing was lack of consideration, so Kbaker might have hit the nail in the head if that is what he means.
View Quote
No, I meant nothing about quality of your workmanship, but I can see how you might draw that conclusion first.  Sorry.  I meant it was either a family conflict or a personality conflict.  Example:  my brother is an excellent auto mechanic.  I will take my daily drivers to him and have him work on them (and pay him for it).  But I do NOT want him "helping" me work on my '67 Mustang - he's a PITA if I'm around him more than an hour - and I'm sure he feels the same way about me.  To avoid that particular personality conflict, that stuff I do myself or farm out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1gunrunner-evidently $600. It went from good will to a poss. side job at that point. I give much free work to friends and family so don't even push your selfish bs on me.
View Quote

Listen jackhole you asked I answered.  You said you were doing it for "good will" - So now you don't have to do anymore free work.  Maybe he was tired of your piss poor attitude.  Maybe after seeing your complete lack of self esteem and constant self doubting, you drove him into such a deep depresion and to the point that he was having sucidal tendancies he figured it was well worth $600 not to have your dumbass at his house but, what do I know?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
..another internet tough-guy. Sorry, not lacking in self esteem, or self-doubting,he might have suicidal tendencies (genetically) not from me. I enjoyed the time working with him, it's just that time became an issue and it turned to a job for him.

1GUNRUNNER

, what do I know? ..not much. Too bad you need to resort to name calling.What a piece you are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:14:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top