Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2001 11:49:56 AM EDT
For the last few years, the VHTA (Virginia Hospitality & Travel Association - http://www.VHTA.org/) has done everything in its power to block the passage of a bill that would repeal the ban on concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol on the premises. So far all efforts to thwart them have failed. While the VHTA is not a very large organization, it has a lot of power as a lobbying organization in the Virginia General Assembly.

I have watched the VHTA in action in Richmond and seen firsthand the strength that it has. The repeal of the ban on concealed carry in restaurants will not pass as long as the VHTA continues to support it. The only way the ban will be repealed is if the VHTA is forced to rethink its stance on the ban. To this end, I need the help of everyone who reads this message. Below is a link to the VHTA website that has a list of members on it. If you live in Virginia, contact the VHTA-affiliated restaurants in your area and let them know that you will not dine at their establishment(s) as long as they are members of the VHTA, and specify the reason as the stance on the restaurant ban law by the VHTA.

The goal of this endeavor is to encourage VHTA members to leave the organization. Please be polite and courteous in your calls and letters. Restaurant owners and managers don’t know the VHTA’s position on the concealed-carry issue as the VHTA has not informed their members about it, nor is it stated anywhere on their web site.

Some talking points for your letter include:

* Up until 1995 concealed-carry in a restaurant with a license to serve alcohol was legal. Prior to that point no permit holder had used his firearm inappropriately in a restaurant.

* As a responsible gun owner you recognize that gunpowder and alcohol don’t mix. The law that the VHTA opposed would have set standards for “carrying under the influence” similar to the current law regarding “driving under the influence”. Currently no such standard exists in Virginia law.

* Open carry is still legal, and practiced, in Virginia restaurants, though it does occasionally upset the other patrons.

For everyone in state and from other states, on the VHTA website is also lists of hotels, campgrounds, and other tourist centers. Please contact them and let them know that you will be visiting the region as a tourist, but you will not be staying in their establishments nor will you recommend them to any of your friends who are interested in visiting the state. Please visit their website for contact information for their members.

You may want to save the lists of affiliated restaurants, campgrounds, etc. from VHTA's web site at http://www.VHTA.org/ to your computer’s hard drive as once the VHTA starts hearing from its members, they will most likely pull these membership lists off of their site.

This idea and request is from SAS Brother Mike, aka Hard Rock on AR15.com, who has been very helpful with SAS's effort to promote the right of self-defense in Virginia. I know we're all used to sending letters to our legislators, and getting a standard form letter in return. However, we're finding that the restaurant owners and managers are much more inclined to listen to us and take action, and many are quite pro-gun and are upset at the VHTA's stance. Also, the service and tourism industries are usually the first to be hit and the last to recover during a recession; they don't want to take on the risk of a boycott given the current economic ou
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Melinda,
 Quick question. Doesn't Virginia law state that any buisness serving alcohol by the drink also have a food menu thus making all Virginia pubs, clubs, and just plain bars become in escense restraunts?
 That has always been my take on the law, but I may be wrong, correct me if I am please.

Jake
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top