Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2002 11:07:38 AM EDT
Some freind and i get together for a freinly game of 5 card stud.dollar anty with a dollar raises max 3 raise per round except on the last card which is 3 dollars. i have come to the realization that I can't bluff with 3 dollars.
I would like to raise the last card raise to 10 dollars.this would make people think. They all go one 3 buck just to see th card. Its not painful enough IMHO. Are there rules that set the raise??

Thanks Jim
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok, Meaty, here's the deal--You guys are playing, it's you guys who make the rules.  Got it!

If the House Rules are "..$3 raise max per round except on the last card which is $3." then that's it.  On the other hand, there's nothing that says you can't lobby to have the rules changed.

Poker games, especially regular ones, are entities unto themselves.  If you find that you are all consistently raising max on every hand, then you need to agree to raise the max.

Be aware, though, that as the pots get richer, the friendships get poorer.

OK?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice Fatman.I have always thought the art of playing poker is the bluff.
When I play with these guys they go every time on 3 bucks. It's frustrating not to be able to bluff. My thinking is if someone gets burned a few time at 10 then it make them think the next time,is his hand real or not??? I myself would think if someone put in 10 bucks.

Thanks Jim
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The Bluff is definitely an art.  

We had a 5 handed group last night for our regular poker session.  The game was "Lose Your Lips" and I drew AJJA as my first four cards. I declared that I was "in", and that I thought everyone else should be in too.

Amid cries of "He's got a great hand" 3 people stayed in.  I drew a 3rd ace and turned in the best "lips" hand anyone had ever seen.  I used the "everyone else should stay in" 3 more times that night. I had nothing on 2 hands and a pair of 3s on the third.  Took all three.

Sometimes you've got to bluff with a blunt instrument.

You're right. If everyone always goes on $3 you need to raise the limit.  It's gotta pinch just a bit to be good poker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top