Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 9:49:13 AM EDT
Greetings.

I was thinking of purchasing a Springfield Armory M1A this spring and was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the AA9126 Scout Squad.  

I used an M-14 in the service and I loved it.  I think they are reliable and accurate bur I have never seen or handled the Scout Squad.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine, I think the forward scope mount is more practical than the normal one.

I have heard some have had trouble with the forward scope mount ruining the gas system, but I have never heard this confirmed.

I also love being able to use clips. I would choose it again over the basic Springfield M1A.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Some where I've read but cannot remember where that this rifle was fast becoming a favorite of the police.  
I believe this was due to the smaller size and ability to more rapidly develop a sight picture.

This rifle is on my short-list.  Hope you'll keep us informed if you do make the move.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love mine, I think the forward scope mount is more practical than the normal one.

I have heard some have had trouble with the forward scope mount ruining the gas system, but I have never heard this confirmed.

I also love being able to use clips. I would choose it again over the basic Springfield M1A.
View Quote

SS109,
Have you shot your rifle for accuracy ??  Results ?

What scope did you choose ??  Springfield Armory mount ?

Seems you're one of the few to actually have this rifle.

I haven't been to the Springfield Armory site in a while to drool but you mention using "clips."
Please don't tell me this thing actually uses clips rather than detachable magazines ??
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the responses guys.  I will look for some more info on the scope mount ruining the gas system but it looks like a winner for springtime.

I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
AFIK, Burris and Leupold are the two makers of quality, purpose-designed Scout scopes.
When ordering your scope, I strongly suggest you obtain a [i]heavy[/i] plex reticule, as it is much more visible to the shooter than finer reticules.
Most Scout afficianados obtain a scope in the middle of the range of available magnifications, YMMV.

The clips referred to are standard USGI 5-rd M-14 stripper clips, which are used to reload detached mags quickly via the use of a stripper clip guide.  The '03 Springfield/Mauser stripper clips ARE NOT identical to the M-14/M1A clips.
The stripper clips can also be used to top off the mag while it is attached to the rifle, as the M1A has an integral stripper clip guide attached to the rifle's receiver.
BTW, this attached guide is often sacrificed when attaching a conventional scope and mount to the M1A.  Yet another point in favor of the Scout concept.
Many shooters store their ammo on stripper clips and bandoleers, with a stripper clip guide for each bandoleer. Makes a handy grab-and-go package, as it was designed. Just a thought.
View Quote

"which are used to reload detached mags" - whew !!  Now this works for me.

The heavy plex reticle makes very good sense.

Thanks !!

(Got a specific Leupold recommendation ??  I have a credit at SWAFA that needs spending !)
[:D]

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One aspect of the Scout concept is to sight and shoot using both eyes.  The offside eye is used to find the target, while the scope-side eye does the final dialing-in.  Thus, the Scout scope must not be too high a magnification else there is too great an image disparity between the offside and scope eyes.
I suggest that you practice with an adjustable magnification scope to see how much magnification disparity you can tolerate, then back down a bit in magnification.  Here's a link:[url]http://pw1.netcom.com/~chingesh/scoutrifle.html[/url].  Let me know if I can help.  Good luck!
View Quote

Thanks !  (Added to my favorites list)

The few good shooters I know (Not the sniper-types.) all tend to less magnification.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
has anyone mounted the 56mm mildot scope on their scout as you would a normal m1a?  Does the weaver mount get in the way and need to be removed?  Looking to buy one but I want to be able to change out between a red dot and the 56mm.  Also, what kind of velocity/accuracy drops come with the shorter barrel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top