Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2002 4:19:57 PM EDT
SOG has two little autos I'm interested in.  There's a Bulgarian 9x18 Makarov with 2 mags and holster

Then there's the Romanian Md95, a .380 for the same price, also with 2 mags but no holster (not that the holster is anything to brag about).

So which one is the better buy?  Maks have slightly better fit & finish, but .380 is cheaper at Ammoman...but also slightly less powerful (not that either caliber is what I would call hard-hitting).  I can't decide!

I just thought it would be fun to have one or the other.  Which one has more parts availability?  Aftermarket add-ons?  Anyone know if the Romanian is an exact copy of the PPK (PPK/S?)?

BTW--The PA-63s are out of the running--too ugly. The only thing I like about them is the mag release catch is in the right place.  

[url]http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplus_hand.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the Mak.
9x18 is about the same price as .380 in bulk.
[url]www.makarov.com[/url]
[url]http://www.bobtuley.com/makarov/[/url]
[url]http://www.gunandgame.com/cgi-bin/boards/makconfig.pl[/url]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You asked for opinions soooo, I like the PA63 better than the other two. Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You asked for opinions soooo, I like the PA63 better than the other two. Just my .02
View Quote

Do you have one?  What is it that you like about it?  

Still looking for input...
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my Sig Sauer P232.  Nice little .380.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I already have a 226.  I'm just thinking of picking up a cheap Mak or similar Eastern Bloc surplus gun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
trickshot (I assume you're a cruffler?),

Those Ballester Molinas are GREAT 45s! Just too big for what you want?

I'd stick to the Mak in the REAL Mak cal if those are the only two choices.
The cheap surplus 9x18 is everywhere, & it WORKS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#8]
trickshot:
03shooter:
View Quote

Do you have one?  What is it that you like about it?  

Still looking for input...
View Quote

I've owned one for a couple years. I agree that they're ugly (mine came with one brown, & one black grip?!), but the thing is 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
My Makie will stick them in the head, or middle of the chest at 10 yrds or less.  
Hit count, not .45 misses.

Get the mak, its a great commie gun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The PA-63s are out of the running--too ugly.
View Quote

I think the Makarov is the way to go, though I disagree with the ugly part...the lines don't seem too bad to me. I prefer the looks of the PA63, but the Mak has a bit of a following here. My .02  -Squib
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone recommended the Ballesters to me. I had a crappy 1911 that shall remain unnamed (to save me any embarrassment from the Kimber crowd). I got rid of it--jammomatic.  It was not a Ballester though.  They are milspec and good "base guns" for building on from what I hear.

I currently have a EAA .45 compact that is okay, but I haven't shot it enough to get good with it.  I noticed that in my hands the 226 knocks over every pepper popper dead on at 25-30yd, but I often miss with the .45 under any kind of stress.  Lack of training and a very short barrel, mainly.  Also, the rear sight is very hard to drift, so that may be another problem.  I don't mind the bigger cartridge, I guess I don't care either way.  I have a couple .357s that I love to shoot as well.

I've been looking into 80% .45s also.  Little bit of everything...figured I'd take a chance on a cheap 9x18 because I'm sick of .22LR and .32 ammo costs as much as 45ACP it seems, so I don't want a .32.

I already have "too many" guns, but whatever.  What's $120 or so for an addict.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've owned one for a couple years. I agree that they're ugly (mine came with one brown, & one black grip?!), but the thing is 100% reliable.
View Quote

I'll second this.  The PA-63 isn't the prettiest gun out there, but it's 100% reliable and well made.  I even carry mine when I want something smaller than a 92.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: Someone recommended the Ballesters to me. I had a crappy 1911 that shall remain unnamed (to save me any embarrassment from the Kimber crowd). I got rid of it--jammomatic.  It was not a Ballester though.  They are milspec and good "base guns" for building on from what I hear.
View Quote

Eh?  The Ballesters are not "milspec" in any sense of the word.  They were used by military and paramilitary forces, but are not a 1911 by any standard.  About the only things you can interchange between 1911 and Ballesters are mags and barrels.

Now the Rock Island 1911s are supposed to be a good base 1911 (the new Norinco, if you will.)

Oh, and I recommend the Makarov.  Better gun all around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]
if you want a good cheap 1911, i think the systema 1927 colts are milspec, made under license in argentina. a friend has one named "imelda", shoots just fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]
What ken_may said. The BM's look like a copy of John Browning's design but most definitely are not. Don't buy one as a basis for building a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, the makarov isn't really a "pocket" gun if that is what you are truly after.  With the factor "red star" grips, they are easily concealable with an IWB holster, but many prefer to swap these out with more comfortable (and larger) grips so you lose a little concealability there.  It is much to large and heavy for a pocket gun, IMHO.

Rocko
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I said pocket gun, but I meant "easily concealable".  I think both the Mak and the PA fit that category.  A true pocket gun would be more like a derringer or maybe Beretta Tomcat.

I didn't know the Ballesters weren't milspec--bad info!  
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Is anyone selling the pa 63 in basic blue?  I don't like the 2-tone look, saw one at the gun show that was gold.  I think that's my hangup with that gun.  I still might get one of each though, just for the hell of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top