Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2002 12:20:10 PM EDT
Maybe looking to move We want to live in a free state if you could where would ya go? We are looking at Montana, Wyoming , Idaho. Just cant take the bullshit associated with the Democrap controlled states anymore.I MUST BE FREE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The big plus is the wife is ready to go to SOOOOOO that means I get to leave all the whack pack inlaws behind!!![BD]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just find Handgun Control's(now the Brady Mutual Masturbation Society or something like that) website. Look for their state report card page. Pick a state that got a D or F! That tells you that state has less gun control and less crime.

I knew those folks would finally be good for something!

docmac86
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
but you can get electricity.
View Quote

At what a price[shock]$7,000 per mile.[shock] That is what I was told my the electric company when I was looking then you have to dig a well and that will set you back they said from $500-$1000 and if your electricity every goes out well your going to be without if for a long time.

If you do think about doing it I would say screw electric company and go with solar power and the wind. It might cost you just as much as have the electricity brought to your home but you don't have a electric bill every month. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Montana is great.  I go there pretty often.  Big Sky, buffalo steaks, and decent laws.  No speed limit on some roads during the day.  Other tickets are usually handled on the spot if you're unlucky enough to be pulled other by the one LEO in a 200 square mile patrol area. If you're into snow mobiling, get there soon.   Yellowstone is going to prohibit it starting next year.
I live in L.A. now.  Its great.  I'm going to miss not having someone worth shooting at when I rotate back to the real world...Yes, we are jolly green gaints, with guns!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it here in Las Vegas, though I won't BS you and say it's anywhere near as pretty as Montana. We have:

1. Shall-issue concealed carry (and next yeat we go from 2 to 10 guns on your permit, yippee!!)

2. Legal class III ownership (if you can afford it)

3. It's Las Vegas! You don't have to go anywhere, everything comes here!

4. Land and housing is not that expensive.  $150,000 will get you a really nice 2 story place on a half acre, and if you move a few minutes out of town a couple of acres is dirt cheap.

5. You can shoot damn near anywhere, just drive into the desert for 5 miles or so.

6. You're close to Utah, good hunting, fishing, camping and skiing.

7. A lot of other stuff that I don't wanna waste bandwidth on.

I love this place, can you tell? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Texas. You just can't beat it. You can find a place in the state for just about any climate you want (except artic).
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:I MUST BE FREE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The big plus is the wife is ready to go to SOOOOOO that means I get to leave all the whack pack inlaws behind!!![BD]
View Quote
 YOU ARE A VERY VERY LUCKY MAN MY FRIEND!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is my .02$.

Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho-great views, low land prices but high unemployment rate. Locals entice with low cost housing and don't tell you that the problem is getting a job that pays at all. Also it is best if you have some wilderness skills because there is little in these states that is considered urban. This can be good if you like rural settings, but it can get dicey for EMS response or hospitalization. If you are 'handy' with emergency medical treatment and are 'handy with home repair/maintenance/expedient engineering then they would be for you.
The biggest downside to these states is the weather. The old joke is that there are two seasons for this area... the Forth of July and winter and sometimes the Forth of July only lasts until about 3pm. Winter is a stone cold BITCH!!. While in high school in Wyoming I had a 4 hour a day job thawing pipes in a local housing developement. The cold is so cold that calves born will immediately freeze to the ground and the amniotic fluid will freeze around them. We spent 6 months with solid overcast one winter. People are not built for that shit and were going loopy all over the place.
Spring is about 2 months long and is worse because when the temp climbs over 32, the snow melts and everything gets about 3ft deep mud in and around it. Then the temp will drop at the end of the day and the mud will freeze causing many broken legs for animals and humans.
Summer gets up around 75 or so and then fall begins to get cold again. The whole area revolves around how much snow there is/was/or will be.
As you can tell, I really loved it[:D] No, really it is a great place to live just don't tell anyone else. We need to keep out all of the liberal Democrats and other whiney bags.

If you are not a great lover of extreme cold, there are other options for you.

Klamath Falls, ID - Outside of KF is a large valley that has some sort of wierd atmosperic conditons that keep it about 20 degrees warmer than the rest of the state. They call it the Banana Belt in Idaho.

Northern New Mexico - OK, a little prejudiced here, but I got very tired of the extreme cold in the states you mentioned. I looked around for mountains, sparse population, good job prospects, good weather, and favorable politics.
In New Mexico, I got it all except for the politics part sometimes, but we still got a D- rating from Brady, YEAH!!
Our CCW is currently in front of the NM Supreme Court after a lawsuit by the outgoing Democrat Mayor of Albuquerque. All expect the lawsuit to fail amd we will be shal issue by March of this year.
Another plus for New Mexico is that the majority of the population is under-motivated and under-educated. This means that there is a large part of the workforce barely above minimum wage with no desire/ability to advance themselves. With a modicum of ability, desire and education, a person can either get a great job immediately or advance very rapidly.
The cost of living is quite low here, housing can go for as little as $75 per square foot for new construction.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Gee Wiz.....Made my VA look like paradise.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is my .02$.

Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho-great views, low land prices but high unemployment rate. Locals entice with low cost housing and don't tell you that the problem is getting a job that pays at all. Also it is best if you have some wilderness skills because there is little in these states that is considered urban. This can be good if you like rural settings, but it can get dicey for EMS response or hospitalization. If you are 'handy' with emergency medical treatment and are 'handy with home repair/maintenance/expedient engineering then they would be for you.
The biggest downside to these states is the weather. The old joke is that there are two seasons for this area... the Forth of July and winter and sometimes the Forth of July only lasts until about 3pm. Winter is a stone cold BITCH!!. While in high school in Wyoming I had a 4 hour a day job thawing pipes in a local housing developement. The cold is so cold that calves born will immediately freeze to the ground and the amniotic fluid will freeze around them. We spent 6 months with solid overcast one winter. People are not built for that shit and were going loopy all over the place.
Spring is about 2 months long and is worse because when the temp climbs over 32, the snow melts and everything gets about 3ft deep mud in and around it. Then the temp will drop at the end of the day and the mud will freeze causing many broken legs for animals and humans.
Summer gets up around 75 or so and then fall begins to get cold again. The whole area revolves around how much snow there is/was/or will be.
As you can tell, I really loved it[:D] No, really it is a great place to live just don't tell anyone else. We need to keep out all of the liberal Democrats and other whiney bags.

If you are not a great lover of extreme cold, there are other options for you.

Klamath Falls, ID - Outside of KF is a large valley that has some sort of wierd atmosperic conditons that keep it about 20 degrees warmer than the rest of the state. They call it the Banana Belt in Idaho.

Northern New Mexico - OK, a little prejudiced here, but I got very tired of the extreme cold in the states you mentioned. I looked around for mountains, sparse population, good job prospects, good weather, and favorable politics.
In New Mexico, I got it all except for the politics part sometimes, but we still got a D- rating from Brady, YEAH!!
Our CCW is currently in front of the NM Supreme Court after a lawsuit by the outgoing Democrat Mayor of Albuquerque. All expect the lawsuit to fail amd we will be shal issue by March of this year.
Another plus for New Mexico is that the majority of the population is under-motivated and under-educated. This means that there is a large part of the workforce barely above minimum wage with no desire/ability to advance themselves. With a modicum of ability, desire and education, a person can either get a great job immediately or advance very rapidly.
The cost of living is quite low here, housing can go for as little as $75 per square foot for new construction.
View Quote
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww WOW Thanks for the story uhhhh I mean response [;)] NM did come up in conversation we live in the northeast now and it SUCKS and it keeps getting worse. again thanks  The gotta be FREE PROPGUY![}:D]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:I MUST BE FREE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The big plus is the wife is ready to go to SOOOOOO that means I get to leave all the whack pack inlaws behind!!![BD]
View Quote
 YOU ARE A VERY VERY LUCKY MAN MY FRIEND!!!!!!!
View Quote
Yes Sir I cant wait to tellem CYA[smoke] I keep asking do ya really want to go and she says YES I can't beleive it[shock]  aaaaaahhhhh Life is good and gettin better yahoooo[}:D]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I would look seriously at Idaho or Montana. The Boise area where I live has a lot going for it. I love it here.The winters arent bad at all. I looked on the the HCI site and those pigs rated Idaho as a F+. If you want email me your address and I will send you the job classifieds from Sundays Boise area paper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
ND. Cold as fuck -- keeps the rif raff out (very few non white people, other than the injuns)
Low population. Low crime. Can get a carry permit. Lots of rural area.

Cons: No trees. Cold as fuck. Too damn many welfare receiving farmers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Tulsa Oklahoma.

Good hunting, fishing, lots of public land, Lots of lakes, trees,  friendly people  WORLDS LARGEST GUN SHOW (Wannamacher's)
CCW state = low crime.   Resonable cost of living, decent public schools.  Good colleges.  Bass Pro Shop within driving distance.  Lots of good gun ranges.  Nobody's afraid of black guns.  
Enough cultural events and big malls to keep the wife happy.  Huge bike path system.  Mass transportation is so, so.

Best of all Brady masturbation society gives us a D.  Not even a gentleman C.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#17]
The “Brady Campaign” has a search engine for gun laws [url=http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/statelaws/index.asp]]here[/url].   Sure there search engine is bias, when ever you add an element it goes to “have this stupid law”, but it dose a really good job.  Arizona is probably one of the freest states out there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I live up here in the Northwest.  I agree with WIGGY on most everything.  Idaho and Montana are great places to visit and there is a lot of freedom.  BUT it is cold as hell most the time and services are few and far between.  Some people love it but many more are bored.

I lived in Florida for most my life and moved to Eastern Washington five years ago.  It is not too bad.  Wide open spaces, conservative people and a relatively warm climate (about 20 degrees warmer than just a few miles east).  It is a desert here but the nearby is some of the most beautiful areas in the U.S.  Another advantage is that Seattle and Portland are only 3 hrs away.  Great for the three or four times a year you need to experience the big city (e.g. NFL football)

You have the Columbia River which supplies all the water you need at a cheap price.  Electrical rates are the cheapest in the US.  Gun laws are OK providing the commies in the west part of the state don't get their way.  Taxes are a little high but not too unbearable.

All in all not too bad of a place to live.  Oh, one more thing.  Mormon people are great and I have a lot of respect for them.  However, be careful not to move to a Mormon community unless you plan to convert.  They have a tendency to put major pressure on you to convert and then treat you and your family as outcast if you don't.  Many of them in the West, especially Idaho.  (no offense meant to any Mormon reading this post, it is just stating a fact that a non LDS should know)
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I enjoy reading threads like this one. It's kinda like going into a travel agency and seeing all the posters of all the neat places to visit.

[i]Just imagine if all the "F" and "D" states bordered each other. If you lived in one, it'd be like a whole different country.[/i]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I would move to Vermont in a heartbeat. Great fishing-absolutely no gun control.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would move to Vermont in a heartbeat. Great fishing-absolutely no gun control.
View Quote

What was Vermont's rating by the idiot patrol?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Frankly I enjoyed my time in San Antonio.  Great weather, great people, great food and a lot of guns.

Where else can you get beer and marguaritas at fast food joints?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Finland.....[:D]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What was Vermont's rating by the idiot patrol?
View Quote

D-. I don't know why it didn't get an F. You can legally posses a concealed handgun at 15.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Idaho, near the Clearwater National Forest.  There is a stunningly beautiful town named Syringia on US12.  A little further west, there's Juliaetta, which is adorable.

But, really, Seattle isn't bad, at least not compared to everywhere else I've been stuck.  The city is extremely leftist, but it doesn't seem to affect my life much (other than high property taxes -- which are still lower than anywhere else I've lived).
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Flash66 where are you getting this stuff from?  "BUT it is cold as hell most the time and services are few and far between. Some people love it but many more are bored."
Not exactly true for the SW portion of the state. Winter lasts for about 3-4 months you know 4 seasons...The summers are great.Looking at todays paper its 46 in Boise and 40 in Spokane and were in the middle of winter.

"Mormon people are great and I have a lot of respect for them. However, be careful not to move to a Mormon community unless you plan to convert. They have a tendency to put major pressure on you to convert and then treat you and your family as outcast if you don't. Many of them in the West, especially Idaho".                                          It is true we have alot of Mormons here but I have never had them try to recruit me. They live in my neighborhood but they dont come knocking on my door. I see the kids riding around on there bicycles doing there mission thing but fortunately I am not on there knock list.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#27]
PROPGUY,

All the "Boys" in West Hollyweird are waiting for ya. Bring yer whips and chains for some bitchin' West coast fun.
You can bring your ARs too (i.e. actually, pics only please).
Hey! You like Veggies 'n Sushi?????
Got any gerbils???

ROTFLMAO...
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
PROPGUY,

All the "Boys" in West Hollyweird are waiting for ya. Bring yer whips and chains for some bitchin' West coast fun.
You can bring your ARs too (i.e. actually, pics only please).
Hey! You like Veggies 'n Sushi?????
Got any gerbils???

ROTFLMAO...
View Quote
I am on my way Hell I hear Kommiefornia's Real Free No gerbils but a couple of large dogs [BD]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I lived in Florida for most my life and moved to Eastern Washington five years ago.  It is not too bad.  Wide open spaces, conservative people and a relatively warm climate (about 20 degrees warmer than just a few miles east).  It is a desert here but the nearby is some of the most beautiful areas in the U.S.  Another advantage is that Seattle and Portland are only 3 hrs away.  Great for the three or four times a year you need to experience the big city (e.g. NFL football.

You have the Columbia River which supplies all the water you need at a cheap price.  Electrical rates are the cheapest in the US.  Gun laws are OK providing the commies in the west part of the state don't get their way.  Taxes are a little high but not too unbearable.

-----------------------------------------------
I'm from GA but have spent a good deal of time in the Tri-Cities area working at the Hanford Site.  I do agree it is a pretty cool area.  Everyone hunts and fishes and boats on the Columbia or Snake Rivers.  The air is dry and it stays light a long time in the summer.  It is relatively close to big timber mountainous areas.  Seems very conservative. There is alot of good local wine and beers of the NW.  Also, good jobs at/near the Hanford site.  The only downside I found was it is windy alot of the time, sparse trees, and it is a little remote.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#30]
My two cents: Wyoming.  Some of the best scenery on earth (the Tetons).  Great skiing (Jackson Hole, et al).  Some other good states nearby (Idaho, Colorado).  Excellent gun laws (F on Brady report).  Plus, the Vice President lives there at an undisclosed location. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Althought its not on your list, consider Western NC in the mountains.. we have:

Consevative population (outisde the Ashevile city limits)
Shall issue CCH
C3 legal
low cost of living
mild winters compared to the north
Very mild summers compared to the rest of the south
Lotsa good places to shoot.
View Quote
Yea that is something to think about we are just lookin now and keeping ALL options open like I said the northeast is just to friggin uptight if you know what I mean I must be free[BD]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#33]
 Ever think of Pennsylvania?  Ignore Philly, we tried to give it to NJ but even they wouldn't have it..
 Shall-issue CW
 Class 3 OK
 Great hunting
 ditto fishing
 Very conservative (except for Philly)
 4 seasons
 OK taxes
 Employment available
 The only weird thing is no semi-auto rifles for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Redhawk

I didn't mean to offend anyone.  You are right about southern Idaho.  My personal experience with LDS gives evidence to my comments.  Others have told me the same thing.  Like you I like the Mormons but there are some closed areas that non LDS people should be aware of.  I probably should not have said anything in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Costa Rica, N.W. on Pacific coast, oops...not on your list, never mind
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Costa Rica, N.W. on Pacific coast, oops...not on your list, never mind
View Quote
keeping ALL options open where is this place?[}:)]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm real partial to Playa Flamingo in Guanacaste providence, about 30 kms south of the border with Nicaragua.  Good food, good surf, good diving, excellent billfishing, nice people, high literacy rate, most like Americans, beautiful "Tico" women, gun ownership possible under right circumstances...
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#38]
You did say you liked Democrats, right?  Then you know about MY state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Ahhh, Vermont, where I grew up.  All non felons can conceal guns if they want, no permit necassary.  The only thing that sucks is the no silencers thing.  I live in Washington now.  It's not bad, just wish it was more Class 3 friendly.  The folks live in alabama so my dad may need an UZI soon (my UZI haha).
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Flash66- I had to bail out of the dri-shitties myself.  Just got too brown and windy.  Grew up in Richland (Hanford class of 88'), went in the Corps for 5 and moved back to Kennewick.  Stayed 5 then moved down to SW Oregon.  Much greener here, but paying state income tax sucks.  No bird hunting where I'm at, but the steelhead/salmon fishing in the Rogue kicks ass.
The people up there are friendlier than here. This is a "mind your own business" community.  There are an overabundance of enviro-fags that plauge the local political systems.  But it is green, beautifull, not too much wind, elk hunting, no sales tax, helluva lot closer to the Mts.

Oregon is good to go if you keep out of Portland, Salem, and Eugene.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Another perspective heard from:
http://[url]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorialsopinion/134395643_satrdr26.html[/url]

The Reader's View
Timless in Texas

By Michael Littlefield
                                         Special to The Times

The thing that impressed me most during my recent visit back home to Texas was that there is no tax-limitation crusader like Tim Eyman.

According to the Tax Foundation, Texas ranks 48th in per capita taxes and Washington ranks ninth. In Texas, I would travel one of the best highway systems in the country, which is constantly being improved with high-profile rebuilds such as the new IH-30 overhead to replace the old Lancaster Eyesore and a new interchange that replaces the old Mixmaster. If I decided not to drive, I could ride on the Trinity Rail Express that connects Fort Worth with Dallas. There are 350 more miles of commuter rail in the works as well.

Unlike the insecure politicians in Seattle, Texans aren't going to waste time and money on studies. We aren't afraid of decision-making. We act. We also don't use construction projects as a front for social engineering to restore "disadvantaged" neighborhoods. And, having a system that isn't corrupt helps.

In Texas, I could avail myself of the finest educational system in the  Union. Of course, Texas children don't get a politically correct, touchy-feely, froufrou education; they are taught the four Rs (the fourth R is Respect). We believe in teaching the basics and letting our students make up their own minds rather than indoctrinating them with liberal thinking.

In Texas, I wouldn't be asked to vote for special levies for Medic One or other essential services. Because of a constitutionally imposed ceiling on taxes, essential services such as public safety, education and transportation are always taken care of first.

We believe that special causes should be funded solely by those who support them. This philosophy has not jeopardized the social safety net, because we have excellent faith-based charities that provide these services. It is much more economical to have these services provided by those who feel it is their calling rather than by those who have to be paid to show up for work. And really stupid projects like changing the name of Tarrant County to Tarrant County or ordering county employees not to say "Merry Christmas" would never see the light of day.

And of course, there is no income tax. One legislator did propose one several years ago. The body still hasn't been found.

If Seattle's latte liberals don't want Tim Eyman around, they need to have a government like Texas. They need a government that is efficient and economical; one that provides only the essential services. Of course, they won't want that, so I suppose Tim Eyman, patriot, is around to stay.

Oh, yes. I've heard the retort, "If you don't like it here, why don't you move." Good suggestion. Tell it to Griffey, A-Rod and the Big Unit. Better yet, tell it to Boeing and all the other companies that can no longer afford to do business here.

[i]Michael Littlefield, who still hasn't left, writes from Bellevue.[/i]
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#42]
East Tennessee is the only place besides MT/WY or Alaska to be.

Shall issue CCW, no limits or registration
Mountains all around
Four true seasons without hot Summers or tons of snow
Class III
Person to person sales of firearms w/o check
Great educational systems (OR and Knoxville)
Many, many ranges and places to plink
Conservative all the way
Lots of jobs
No state income taxes
Short list for lottery
The South won the war
If it weren't for us, there wouldn't be a Texas
Lots of hunting
Lots of fishing
Tons of lakes and rivers
Pro sports
College sports that might as well be pro
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Mountains all around
Class III
Conservative all the way
Lots of jobs
No state income taxes
Short list for lottery
The South won the war
Lots of hunting
Lots of fishing
Tons of lakes and rivers
Pro sports
View Quote
OK NOW YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION I Must be free  That sounds like what me and my family are looking for we are NOT dead set on the west we just want something  that this place does not offer [:)]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mountains all around
Class III
Conservative all the way
Lots of jobs
No state income taxes
Short list for lottery
The South won the war
Lots of hunting
Lots of fishing
Tons of lakes and rivers
Pro sports
View Quote
OK NOW YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION I Must be free  That sounds like what me and my family are looking for we are NOT dead set on the west we just want something  that this place does not offer [:)]
View Quote

Plus RAMO Mfg., Barrett, and a couple of other firearms manufacturers and customizers
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#45]
TeufelHonden

I hated leaving Florida in '96 but have liked in Kennewick.  Lots of nice people and good things nearby.  As soon as my son graduates from high school next year I think I'll head on back to Florida.  I love the South.  There are still some good places to live in Florida but when all those babyboomers from up north retire no telling what will happen.

Love Oregon.  You are right in everything you said.  Too bad all those commies from Kalifornia moved up and messed the polictics up.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Also in East Tennesse is Oak Ridge which is the HOME of the "A" bomb as well as a few other goodies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Also in East Tennesse is Oak Ridge which is the HOME of the "A" bomb as well as a few other goodies.
View Quote
Hows the job market housing mkt. etc. / whats the local paper?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Aside from Denver and Boulder, Colorado is a fantastic place. It gets cold, but not like Montana or Idaho. Humidity is basically non-existent, so cars and trucks last forever because they don't rust. If you like pro sports, you can live out in the middle of nowhere and still be within an hour or two of Denver (basketball not included - the Nuggets SUCK).

I live in Greeley, about 40 miles NNE of Denver. This is basically where the Great Plains start, but it's only an hour to Denver or an hour to the mountains. Several really good spots to live up here: Fort Collins, Greeley, Windsor (a FANTASTIC little town/city of about 15K), and Loveland, as well as a number of smaller communities sprinkled along the Front Range.

Average daytime high in the winter months is in the low 40's; average low about 15. During the summer it goes about 88/60. Air conditioning really is an option here, because it's something you could live without and not really miss it. Heating is obviously a different story!

All in all, I love it here!

(And the gun laws are very friendly, too!)
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Hows the job market housing mkt. etc. / whats the local paper?  
View Quote

Things were great when I visited last June.

When I went back at Thanksgiving, factories were shutting down everywhere, lots of businesses had signs up saying "we're not even taking applications, go away", and the housing market was falling like a rock.

"Local paper" depends on which part of eastern Tennessee you're thinking of.  Johnson City Press-Chronicle, Elizabethton Star, Knoxville News-Sentinel, Chattanooga Times. . . .
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#50]
texas = gods country!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top