Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2002 4:46:32 AM EDT
Below is a story published by a local media outlet. The usual whining about tightening gun laws at gun shows and domestic abusers are a threat to women epsecially with guns. Dealears are required to do BG checks already last I knew?

Anyone have a good response argument to this or any stats. I guess the thing that irks me the most is our state orgs. let alot of this slide with no or little response

BTW: If you are in Iowa, write these assholes and anyone else for our side.

Thanks

IAJack

Coalition Urges Passing Of Gun-Violence Laws
Background Checks, Firearms Possession Restrictions Proposed

POSTED: 8:39 p.m. CST January 23, 2002
UPDATED: 9:16 p.m. CST January 23, 2002

On Wednesday, members of the Iowa Coalition for Sensible Gun Laws urged lawmakers to pass two bills to reduce gun violence in Iowa, KMBC 9 News reported.

The first bill would require all gun dealers at gun shows to do background checks and keep records of all their sales. The second bill would prohibit the possession of firearms by anyone who has been convicted of domestic assault.

"Firearms and domestic violence combine to make a deadly mixture, injuring and killing women every day. A firearm is the most frequently used weapon in domestic homicide," said Jill Avery of the Family Violence Center.

Supporters said there is a loophole in the law that allows felons, domestic abusers and minors the opportunity to buy a gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
When I lived in Iowa I came to hate that group.  They're located in Iowa City with the rest of the whackos if I remember correctly.  One of their gurus is that little girly man with the white hair and Ghandi glasses that shows up on the news everytime somebody gets shot.  

I was at a continuing education event in Des Moines which addressed teen violence.  That butt-munch gave an hour lecture on how our oppression of the Native Americans is the root cause of our youth violence.

He ended his propaganda speech by picking up a Guns and Ammo magazine and displaying a Kimber ad.  He then said (and I quote) "See, even our youth can buy handguns through the mail and on the internet!"

During the break I informed him about his erroneous statement and the laws concerning the sale and transfer of firearms in Iowa and in the US in general (GCA 68).  Did he retract his comments during the next session?  No, he simply wrote me off as a "radical".

You can't argue with these people.  

You just have to defeat them.

The idea of a class action legal action against these people is a good idea.  Use their crap against them.  Keep them in court and paying lawyers instead of lobbying and buying ad spots.

I once ordered tons of McGruff "Take A Bite Out of The 2nd Amendment" brochures just to make sure that they didn't get into anyone's hands.

We need to get creative in our response to these idiots.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a response for them: "Go fuck yourselves"  oh wait...that makes me a radical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top