Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 2:25:13 PM EDT

Ok where I used to live when I stoped at the local gun shop to buy some fodder for my babies the process was pretty easy.  You plunked the ammo on the counter showed your drivers license to be recorded ( Ontario needs photo I.D.) you showed the guy your FAC/PAL/POL to prove that you were an upstanding law abiding citizen....paid and were on your merry way.

Well,  I moved to the K/W Guelph area and decided to shop local .....dropped into the local shop " The Gun Room" in Waterloo and grabbed a box of UMC .32 Acp for some of my toys.

I was asked for my last name as the clerk stood at a computer terminal.....

I naturally responded with my last name!

Pretty neat....these guys are computer litterate I thought...this must be the big city. ( my old haunt was a one man shop started in the 1960's)

Oh I see he says that you have not bought ammo here before...

Yes I say.

Well I need to see your PAL/POL/FAC so I can enter it into our computer.

What I say?  No you just need to see it!  To confirm that I am me and I am legit.  You can take down my DR # if you want to but not my PAL #

Nope he says that is the LAW!!!  We need to take down the number.  I said that I did not agree but he could have it on the condition it could be removed once I proved
my point......

Well I double checked myself and as I thought the law says NOTHING about the creation of small data bases in the store as to my PAL number.  In fact all it says is that you have to have one to buy ammo.. Which means if they ask and I say yes that is all they should need.. If I lie....it would be on me.

Naturally I called the Gun Room to explain the actual law to them...

They said...well we need to see two pieces of ID so we just put both in the computer to make it easier!  

Well I said now that you know that the law does not require this will you be making a policy change at your store?...

No was the quick reply the policy remains.

Oh!  Well I said.....then what is your RETURN POLICY!!!

Needless to say I returned to the store first thing this morning and returned the ammo. I also supervised while the clerk took my name off of their computer.  
       The guy honestly did not seem to understand why I was upset about this whole issue.....that is the saddest part.

Its bad enough to have to fight the LIEberals on gun issues and fight to stop their silly little laws....BUT TO HAVE OUR OWN STORES FIGHT US?????

Now the question is....do I shop there for other items???

It is the only local place to buy SAR magazine that I have found.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
That is the most ludicrios rules I have ever heard.  All I have to do is prove I am at least 18.  But I am lucky I guess

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Ok where I used to live when I stoped at the local gun shop to buy some fodder for my babies the process was pretty easy.  You plunked the ammo on the counter showed your drivers license to be recorded ( Ontario needs photo I.D.) you showed the guy your FAC/PAL/POL to prove that you were an upstanding law abiding citizen....paid and were on your merry way.

Well,  I moved to the K/W Guelph area and decided to shop local .....dropped into the local shop " The Gun Room" in Waterloo and grabbed a box of UMC .32 Acp for some of my toys.

I was asked for my last name as the clerk stood at a computer terminal.....

I naturally responded with my last name!

Pretty neat....these guys are computer litterate I thought...this must be the big city. ( my old haunt was a one man shop started in the 1960's)

Oh I see he says that you have not bought ammo here before...

Yes I say.

Well I need to see your PAL/POL/FAC so I can enter it into our computer.

What I say?  No you just need to see it!  To confirm that I am me and I am legit.  You can take down my DR # if you want to but not my PAL #

Nope he says that is the LAW!!!  We need to take down the number.  I said that I did not agree but he could have it on the condition it could be removed once I proved
my point......

Well I double checked myself and as I thought the law says NOTHING about the creation of small data bases in the store as to my PAL number.  In fact all it says is that you have to have one to buy ammo.. Which means if they ask and I say yes that is all they should need.. If I lie....it would be on me.

Naturally I called the Gun Room to explain the actual law to them...

They said...well we need to see two pieces of ID so we just put both in the computer to make it easier!  

Well I said now that you know that the law does not require this will you be making a policy change at your store?...

No was the quick reply the policy remains.

Oh!  Well I said.....then what is your RETURN POLICY!!!

Needless to say I returned to the store first thing this morning and returned the ammo. I also supervised while the clerk took my name off of their computer.  
       The guy honestly did not seem to understand why I was upset about this whole issue.....that is the saddest part.

Its bad enough to have to fight the LIEberals on gun issues and fight to stop their silly little laws....BUT TO HAVE OUR OWN STORES FIGHT US?????

View Quote

That really sucks bad.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
perhaps its time you started rolling your own,
assuming they will let you up there
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
po89nm  

I do roll my own....just not 32acp and .22

I buy surpluss .223 when I am in the states....

The worst part is what they are demanding IS NOT THE LAW!! ITs BEYOND THE LAW!!!

Stiker I went to the Canadian Tire and they do the same thing...writing it down in a ratty book...when I talked to the manager he said that he would have the sports guy talk to the local PD... ( who are the ones that told him it was needed AN OUTRIGHT LIE!)

I am going to drop an actual copy of the law to the Canadian Tire manager..

As to the Gun Room.......guess I will still buy SAR there but that is about all!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Stormbringer, you're that guy from the CFD!  Kewl.

Anyway, we had the same problem here in Winnipeg with a certain local store.  Some schmoozing and education resolved the issue - they still ask to see your license, but now they don't create a database on your ammo purchases.  It's very legal, is respectful of the privacy of a store's customers and is the same policy followed by the largest retailer in N America, Wal-Mart.  If they wanted to create a database on you they could probably do a reasonable facimille of it anyway using cc or debit card #s, but that's not the point.

But Po89um is right, 32 ACP deserves to be handloaded.  With diy cast bullets and half a gnat's mouthful of Bullseye, the loads are as cheap as 22LR.  Speaking of handloading with those about-to-be-regulated 'inexplosive ammunition components' have you checked out bill C-42?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The above story is very scary to me.  In the immortal words of the original Earl Pitts "Native American Redneck"  WAKE UP AMERICA!

HIV virus identified. Cabbage Patch Kids debuts, as does Madonna. Sally Ride is first US woman in space. Pioneer 10 becomes the first man-made object to travel beyond the solar system. Grandson of Alexander Graham Bell answers first commerical cell phone call. Computer hackers break into US defence computers. Programmer Jaron Lanier coins the term "virtual reality".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top