Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 10:30:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Its always a good idea to try reseating the boards.  Pull out everything but the memory (one DIMM or whatever) and CPU.  Check the speaker wire.  If the speaker wire is okay, and if the POST isn't running (no beeps) then your CPU maybe toast.  If you get beeps, diagnose, then add the video card, and slowly add components from there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I've built a lot, it sounds like the cpu or motherboard, most soyo boards have jumperless settings that are set from the bios screen. By the way if you change, i now only use aopen boards, I had trouble with soyos, I love the ax34 pro II, overclocks great, great support and the board is done in miltary spec black, so it even looks cool.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Check your MB manual for a jumper setting that clears your BIOS - resets to default values. I had to do this on a MB that came from the factory with some oddball setup that wouldn't allow it to boot.

HTH
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
make SURE your CPU is in the right way!!! If it's wrong the board my have a failsafe to cut power to the board and thus not fry your CPU!!! [=D])

I know SOYO boards are cheapo boards and I just got one myself so I will check it out (it came today) and letcha know what I find out...
View Quote

Damn GB it is pretty hard to seat the CPU in wrong as they will only fit one way [flame]
And as for the Soyo Boards being cheap..  I don't think so! Granted this is my first Non-Asus board and I have had zero problems with it.  I also got the Soyo Dragon Plus board with an XP 1900 chip.

[b]Brouhaha[/b] I would venture to say that your board is unfortunatly BAD and it should be replaced how ever if you try to even fire that thing up for a 1/2 sec. without the Heatsink installed on the CPU then it to is fried.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#12]
one last thing.  I have a word document on some of the trouble shooting and setup proceedures for this board at home. I will send to to you when I get there in about an hour if you like.  There was something about pulling the main power cord, popping out the battery and shorting the CMOS jumper for a few seconds in it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you tried a different power supply?  Eventhough the fan is running, you may be missing either the +12 or the +5 volts.  If you have a volt meter, the yellow should read +12 and the red +5.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Is your HD plugged in correctly?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Ummm  (mutter mutter . . . 1 beep to verify internal speakers and beep capable) . . .ummm.  Here's a shot.  You're using one stick of DDR?  But DRAM are how many slots?  Aren't you supposed to populate the banks?  

Hey I might be wrong and shooting in the dark here.  I'm just getting my A+ in 5 weeks.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey I might be wrong and shooting in the dark here.  I'm just getting my A+ in 5 weeks.  
View Quote

DDR and SDRAM Memory only requires one bank installed.  The pairs are for FPO,EDO and RDRAM
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been building them for many years, and the same principles have always applied:

Rip it down to the bare minimum requirements and see if it will boot.  That usually means [b]a minimal amount of RAM, a keyboard, a floppy drive, and a monitor[/b].  If it won't boot in that configuration you have a hardware problem.

The Power-On-Self-Test (POST) sequence is pretty much the same for most machines.  It should show a video BIOS message on the monitor (maybe very briefly) followed by a RAM check.  Somewhere in there you should see the lights on the keyboard flash on and off, and the floppy drive light go on and off.  And there should be a beep from the MB somewhere.  No beep often means a bad processor or MB.

Only after it boots with a minimum configuration do I bother adding any other pieces.  Trying to put it all together at once is a big waste of time.

Sounds like you are on the right track.  Keep at it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#18]
A few comments :

Not to insult anyone's intelligence - I've done dumber things - but one thing I would NOT do at this point is try another CPU on that board.

Also, I don't think you can get voltage readings from an ATX power supply until it is plugged into a MB. Without a special device, that is.

Finally, I hope you bought the MB and CPU from the same dealer. LOL
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#20]
If I get to this point. As a last resort, I take the board and lay it on some cardboard or non-static mat and plug the power supply into it with memory and video on it just to make sure the board isn't being shorted out on the case somewhere.

I've also seen MB's that wouldn't fire without an IDE device connected to them... something to think about.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]
If your gonna send everything back id like to suggest an ABIT motherboard, i built mine with an ABIT KT7E. This MB is geared towards the AMD Thunderbird but they have several more for whatever cpu you like and they usually come recommended so they'll work correctly. Just my personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know SOYO boards are cheapo boards and I just got one myself so I will check it out (it came today) and letcha know what I find out...
View Quote

Whuchoo talkin bout, Goattis?!  The Soyo Dragon Plus seems to have gotten great ratings from both AnandTech and StevesHardware.  I'm thinking of that exact setup if/when I build a new machine.

Brouhaha, where did you buy these from, anyway??  Sounds like a local shop, since you mention taking them back, but just to check. . . .
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top