Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 10:04:04 AM EDT
Okay, to you really computer savey people.  Got my computer last Friday (1/18).  It's an ABS computer w/ Windows XP home edition.

Now, I loaded some older programs, Word 97, Works 4.0 (updated it to 4.5a), my dial up and reloading software.  Also updated Windows using the system update.  So I have the 'critical updates' that Microsoft says it needs (I've head of the security problems that XP is suppose to have).

Now, I had an older Trek game playing when it first went (uninstalling this and that didn't work), so I used the System Restore option to get it back to the stripped down, nothing updated nor loaded (like out the box).  I reloaded just what I needed.... and while I was typing on Word 97, it froze up completely... no mouse, no 3 key reset nor soft power shut off.  I had to use the manual power switch in the back.

I am not happy right now......  I can use it, but it's not reliable.

Suggestions, info on this........

Thanks.

Kaliburz
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am not happy right now......  I can use it, but it's not reliable.
View Quote

Welcome to Windows XP.  You have been assimilated.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, xp wont support some older programs. Just before I installed it on my system, I had purchased Norton AV 2001. Guess what? wouldn't work with xp. I had to go purchase AV 2002.
You might go to the website of the software manufacturer and see if it is xp compatable.
I had hardware driver problems when I first installed xp to the point of going crazy. I solved them all and became a computer expert[rolleyes]along the way.[;D]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to windows START then ALL PROGRAMS then ACCESSORIES then PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY WIZARD. I have heard this will allow you to run older software on XP?????? Try it and let us know
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go to windows START then ALL PROGRAMS then ACCESSORIES then PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY WIZARD. I have heard this will allow you to run older software on XP?????? Try it and let us know
View Quote

schv,

Tried that the first time (read about this option).  Still 'winks out and restarts the enter computer'.  It mainly happens when I'm using Word 97 and Works 4.5a.  You get that message that Windows has recovered from a major system (what ever) phrase.

I'm starting to think that this XP is programed to start acting up so that you're FORCED to upgrade.  Sound really corny?  I wouldn't say, but I'll stop accusing Microsoft.

I've tried the Microsoft user groups.  Someone said to increase the virtual memory; set it to the computer controls.  Still does it.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, xp wont support some older programs. Just before I installed it on my system, I had purchased Norton AV 2001. Guess what? wouldn't work with xp. I had to go purchase AV 2002.
View Quote

Yup, even with XP's "compatibility" feature, there's still older programs that won't run.  For example some programs want direct access to the hard drive instead of going through Windows...an XP no-no.

I had a few hardware/driver issues to work through too.

Though I didn't have a problem running Norton AntiVirus 2001 with XP...strange it didn't run on your system.  I wonder if they'll give you your money back for one of the Norton's.

[img]http://www.lpconnect.com/pb2/xpandnorton2001.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
More than likely you'll have to go to Office 2000.  I believe some of the system/API calls are different on XP than the other OS's.  I think it is true that MS wants you to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of everything so they can keep track of licensed and/or unlicensed software.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I don't like the idea of shelling out more money since this system cost me 1200+

I'm thinking of returning it just for that reason.  Not being able to work w/ it as is.  I'm not going to wait around for Microsoft to fix it and have my 1200 smacks in system I can't use the way I want.

I gave up the LEGP 1911 for this damn thing!!!  At least the 1911 would save your life!!!

Hypothetical question:  If one had the oppurtunity to get a legal copy of 98 to put on an XP machine (and do it right), would you?

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same problem when I installed WinXP home edition on my home built system.  I had old games that all the suddend didn't work.  Windows compatibility mode wouldn't work for most of them either.  I was discouraged until I found out I could set up a "duel" boot system.  That is, I have both Windows Me and xp on the same computer.  So when I want to play an old game now, I reboot the computer and at a certain point on start up, it asks which operating system do I want to use and I tell it depending upon what I want.

I like xp very much.  It is a whole lot more stable then 98 or Windows Me was for me.  I just use the old operating system for the old games and win xp for everything else.

Don't give up, half the fun for me with computers is learning how to get them to do what you want, and most of the time, it can be done, you just have to learn.

Do a search on the internet for duel boot system set up with win xp and you will find it.

I can help also if you want.

It does require a total reformat of your hard drive though.

I found an article here that explains doing it with Win 98 and Win 2000.  I read it and it is pretty much the same thing that I did with Win XP and Win Me.  Like I said, Now I can play any game that I ever did that worked with Win ME or Win 98 that won't play with XP.

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/win2kdualboot/

patsue
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking of just sending it back.

I don't have the time, patience nor knowledge to do it.  Any how, it's a brand new computer!  What's the dang warrenty for then???

This is a dual use computer.  Personal and business.  Right now, I can only do half of that.  Actually, I can't even write a letter since that 'crashes' the system.

Granted, it's fun to learn things, but ..... patience is not on my side right now.  Any how, if one spends a nice chunk of cash on something... I don't want to be trying to 'fix' it out of the box.

Oh, XP came out when, last fall?  How many different versions do you think are out there?  It's possible that if the computer makers changed copies between start and now, it's possible that cetain programs would work now w/ XP when it didn't at first.  Still too much hassel I'd say.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey bud - the thing to do is to buy and install system commander - it helps you have mulitple OS's on your PC.

I have Linux and Win 98 SE.

When I buy XP (don't ever want to have to - I hate MS), I will have three OS's.  XP to be "current", 98SE and Linux to continue to be able to work.

As the person before me wrote, having a multiple boot system is the way to go

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Kaliburz, shoot me an email with your email address.  I think I can help you.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually, I think "sending it back" was a rash thing, since I like the chip performace.

But I just got off the phone w/ the company that sold me the computer.  I've got a brand new in the wrapper, complete copy of Win98SE on it's way.

I've got a computer tech buddy who knows this stuff.  I want to give this thing an electronic 'labotimy'(sp).  The dual Windows system interests me, but the three (linex) sounds even better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Well, i'm even a little off topic here, but who knows, maybe i'll get some help.  I just got a new system too with XP Home.  Its a computer show special with an Athlon 1900+ CPU, 512 MB RAM, etc.  Long story short, the computer crashes alot.  Just toally freezes up.  The wierd thing is the BIOS lets you change the bus speeds.  If I set it for 100/100 instead of 133/133 it runs 100% perfect.  I mean not even a hickup.  If I crank it up though (which is what I would assume the 1900+ wants) it just does nothing but freeze whenever I run almost any application.  Anyone have any suggestions?

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#14]
hipowr,

sounds like your BIOS allows you to overclock (i could be wrong) without moving jumpers.

Don't tell AMD that you do this; may void the warranty.

to my understanding, if you overclock and don't have everything set right, it may cause some stability issues.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Problem is, for an XP 1900+ that shouldn't be overclocked.  As a matter of fact, when the system starts up set at 133/133 it properly shows an Athlon 1900+.  When its set at 100/100 it shows only an Athlon 1200.  Keep the ideas coming!

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Windows XP is cool. But, it has had a program hang problem since RC2. Sometimes, programs will hang causing the computer to come to a stop. What you do is Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Then click processes and find stuff that shouldn't be running like AcroTray, AOL, etc...Kill each of these until it works. DO NOT kill tskmgr, svchost, or explorer.

Now, you can also easily do dual boot. It would be preferable that you install Windows 98, then install Windows XP.

If you do not mind loosing your data, do this:

Repartition (not using XP) your hard drive with 4 primary partitions.

1-FAT16 w/ 256 MB
1-FAT32 w/ 5 GB (5,120 MB)
1-NTFS w/ 10 GB (10,240 MB)
1-FAT32 w/ The remainder

Of course this is assuming you have 60 GB.

Install DOS on the FAT16 Partition.
Install Windows 98 on the smaller FAT32 Partition
Install Windows XP on the NTFS Partition
Install System Commander on the FAT16 Partition

Enjoy.

You now have a system w/ both Windows 98 and XP.

You can also simply reformat the HD as FAT32 and install Windows 98. Then, install Windows XP in a different directory.

As far as the Athlon XP issue. I haven't dealt with these, but some of the older Athlons came in 200 or 266 MHz. These are actually doubled 100 or 133 MHz. So, if your system has a 200 MHz Front Side Bus, then you set it for 100 MHz.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#17]
OH, I see the problem. Seriously, some of these idiots are using PC-100 SDRAM in there. If you can, check and see if it is using PC-100 SDRAM or PC-2100 DDR-RAM.

Quoted:

Well, i'm even a little off topic here, but who knows, maybe i'll get some help.  I just got a new system too with XP Home.  [red]Its a computer show special[/red] with an Athlon 1900+ CPU, 512 MB RAM, etc.  Long story short, the computer crashes alot.  Just toally freezes up.  The wierd thing is the BIOS lets you change the bus speeds.  If I set it for 100/100 instead of 133/133 it runs 100% perfect.  I mean not even a hickup.  If I crank it up though (which is what I would assume the 1900+ wants) it just does nothing but freeze whenever I run almost any application.  Anyone have any suggestions?

later,
AJ
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OH, I see the problem. Seriously, some of these idiots are using PC-100 SDRAM in there. If you can, check and see if it is using PC-100 SDRAM or PC-2100 DDR-RAM.

Quoted:

Well, i'm even a little off topic here, but who knows, maybe i'll get some help.  I just got a new system too with XP Home.  [red]Its a computer show special[/red] with an Athlon 1900+ CPU, 512 MB RAM, etc.  Long story short, the computer crashes alot.  Just toally freezes up.  The wierd thing is the BIOS lets you change the bus speeds.  If I set it for 100/100 instead of 133/133 it runs 100% perfect.  I mean not even a hickup.  If I crank it up though (which is what I would assume the 1900+ wants) it just does nothing but freeze whenever I run almost any application.  Anyone have any suggestions?

later,
AJ
View Quote
View Quote

You need good ram to overclock.  My XP1700+ is overclocked and I'm using Crucial DDR2100 ram.  I can push it to 140 on the motherboard.  1542mhz.  The sucker sure gets HOT.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]

I know the 1900+ is a 1600, but at startup the computer shows what CPU is in it.  It actually says Athlon 1900+ at the 133 setting and changes to Athlon 1200 at the 100 setting.  I'm beginning to think the guy shafted me on the RAM, but I have to figure out how to tell what kind is in there.

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually, some boards come with both SDR and DDR slots. Notably, Asus. But, if it is DDR, then you may have got PC1600. So, simply upgrade to PC2100
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help.  I took the computer back to the computer show vendor.  He happily swapped out the two 256Mb PC133's and put in a 512Mb simm.  This solved the whole problem.  I don't know if it was bad memory, or the motherboard just didn't like 2 simms.  Either way, i'm in business.

later,
AJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top