Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 7:37:54 AM EDT
During the previews for Black Hawk Down, there was a war film starring Mel Gibson. It looked lke a Vietnam era setting. Anybody know the story line behind this up coming movie?

Karl
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's called "We once were soldiers" or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
We were soldiers once, and young...

The 1st Cav (Airmoble) in Viet Nam, Republic of...

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#3]
We Were Soldiers Once... And Young.

Here's a bit about the book:

In the first significant engagement between American troops and the Viet Cong, 450 U.S. soldiers found themselves surrounded and outnumbered by their enemy. This book tells the story of how they battled between October 23 and November 26, 1965. Its prose is gritty, not artful, delivering a powerful punch of here-and-now descriptions that could only have been written by people actually on the scene. In fact, they were: Harold Moore commanded the men of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, who did most of the fighting, and Joseph Galloway was the only reporter present throughout the battle's 34 harrowing days. We Were Soldiers Once... combines their memories with more than 100 in-depth interviews with survivors on both sides. The Battle of Ia Drang also highlights a technological advance that would play an enormous role in the rest of the war: this was perhaps the first place where helicopter-based, air-mobile operations demonstrated their combat potential. At bottom, however, this is a tale of heroes and heroism, some acts writ large, others probably forgotten but for this telling. It was a bestseller when first published, and remains one of the better books available on combat during the Vietnam War.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.weweresoldiers.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good!

Like 'The Patriot' brought foward 200 years!

Eric The(American)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice site. Holy shit. Reminds me of my days in the Cav. Late 80s. Hueys up the ass. Nothing like a gaggle of 24-28 in one huge formation flight, one rotor disk seperation if that. Great crews, great missions, work hadr and play hard.

E Co 227th Aviation "Vulture Aviation"

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Heard he was a antigunner always playing the patriot hero but in reality he bows to the King and is a trator.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Heard he was a antigunner always playing the patriot hero but in reality he bows to the King and is a trator.
View Quote

never heard anything concrete about him one way or the other, but he did say that he would let his children have access to firearms to protect themselves.  this comment sprang from the uproar over his movie "The Patriot" in which the young boys fire weapons to free their older brother.  the antigunners just about had an apoplexy that children had access to firearms.

how anti can he be?  besides, i think with the movies he's done, he's learning a fair bit of history and probably realizes the importance of protection and defense against tyrants.  perhaps it's rubbing off on him.  i mean, hey, could you really play William Wallace and not have some inkling of what it takes to be free?????
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
At one time this was required reading for officers and NCO's in the AF.  I liked blackhawk down a little better, maybe because it was written by a 3rd party.  I admire Gen Moore in that he took a completely new concept of operations and hauled it into battle.  They had to work on the details on the fly.  The old adage about the "best laid plans turn to garbage in the face of the enemy" did not fully apply in this battle, although they had some work to do.  The Cav eventualy became a powerful fighting concept.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Playboy interviewed Mel Gibson several years ago.

His view was that if criminals have guns, then we should be able to have them for protection.

If I remember correctly, he alluded that he owned a gun(s) but didn't keep them in the house (because of the kids).

He didn't strike me as being pro-gun. Just an owner who would surrender the right if it bought some "security".
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top