Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2009 9:38:53 AM EDT
How dirty/bad is it? The gun shop sages say it's so dirty it will scratch up your bore.

Poll incoming.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How dirty/bad is it? The gun shop sages say it's so dirty it will scratch up your bore.

Poll incoming.

I say again.

It is fine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
They are right. I only use Ivory© Cleansing Bullets*

*so pure - they float!
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, I think it fires really dirty.  I sold what I had of it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot that shit all the time and works just fine.

Guns get dirty when you shoot them, so what?

Scratch your bore? Please. It's a ball of lead in a thin, smooth copper jacket being shot through a hardened steel barrel. It isn't going to scratch your bore.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It's dirty, it's cheap, it shoots just fine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poll incoming.

Gun shop sages are usually morons...especially the ones that lounge there and offer unsolicited advice.

At this point I've put a few thousand rounds of Blazer brass and aluminum cased ammo downrange in 9mm and .45 ACP without much problem. The aluminum stuff actually shot considerably cleaner than WWB, and was more reliable than WWB. The brass cased ammo is pretty clean as well, certainly much cleaner than Remington's bulk ammo or WWB. Most of my handgun ammo stash at the moment is Blazer of some type or another. I'm not concerned about it.

I prefer brass cased, but the aluminum cased stuff works just fine even in my 1911s. The only downside to the aluminum cased stuff is that it's not as robust as the brass cased ammo. The case can be pierced more easily than brass cased ammo and it doesn't stand up to repeatedly being cycled as well as brass cased ammo...but there has to be some tradeoff, right?

Accuracy is decent. At the Vickers 1911 class this month I didn't notice any real accuracy issues caused by the ammo, not even back to 110 yards.

EDIT –– And "scratch up your bore"....
Yeah. I'm sure that a couple of flecks of unburned gunpowder is going to be a big deal for a metal tube that has a hunk of brass coated lead zipping through it at high speed.

+1

I have used it at Steel Plates Shoots with no issues.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoot it
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poll incoming.

Gun shop sages are usually morons...especially the ones that lounge there and offer unsolicited advice.

At this point I've put a few thousand rounds of Blazer brass and aluminum cased ammo downrange in 9mm and .45 ACP without much problem. The aluminum stuff actually shot considerably cleaner than WWB, and was more reliable than WWB. The brass cased ammo is pretty clean as well, certainly much cleaner than Remington's bulk ammo or WWB.  Most of my handgun ammo stash at the moment is Blazer of some type or another. I'm not concerned about it.

I prefer brass cased, but the aluminum cased stuff works just fine even in my 1911s. The only downside to the aluminum cased stuff is that it's not as robust as the brass cased ammo. The case can be pierced more easily than brass cased ammo and it doesn't stand up to repeatedly being cycled as well as brass cased ammo...but there has to be some tradeoff, right?

Accuracy is decent. At the Vickers 1911 class this month I didn't notice any real accuracy issues caused by the ammo, not even back to 110 yards.

EDIT –– And "scratch up your bore".... Yeah. I'm sure that a couple of flecks of unburned gunpowder is going to be a big deal for a metal tube that has a hunk of brass coated lead zipping through it at high speed.

He was so sure of himself and exuded such confidence in his information, I admit I began to second guess myself.

This must be the first bona fide gun shop sage I've met. Others have babbled inanely, but this one I think was the real deal.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poll incoming.

At this point I've put a few thousand rounds of Blazer brass and aluminum cased ammo downrange in 9mm and .45 ACP without much problem. The aluminum stuff actually shot considerably cleaner than WWB, and was more reliable than WWB. The brass cased ammo is pretty clean as well, certainly much cleaner than Remington's bulk ammo or WWB.  Most of my handgun ammo stash at the moment is Blazer of some type or another. I'm not concerned about it.

EDIT –– And "scratch up your bore".... Yeah. I'm sure that a couple of flecks of unburned gunpowder is going to be a big deal for a metal tube that has a hunk of brass coated lead zipping through it at high speed.

He was so sure of himself and exuded such confidence in his information, I admit I began to second guess myself.

This must be the first bona fide gun shop sage I've met. Others have babbled inanely, but this one I think was the real deal.

Self confidence does not automatically mean someone is right.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#11]
It works, but it shoots about 4" higher in my XD than WWB. Good for training.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#12]
It's perfect for the range and way cleaner than WWB.  I've never had any trouble with it and have fired thousands upon thousands of rounds.  People who have an issue with it are just trying to justify them paying more for something else to make a holes in paper.  

Is it a good SD round?  No and it's not claiming to be either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to shoot that stuff all the time.  Never had any problems myself.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#15]
*Eyeroll*   Just shoot it, it's fine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I've shot my share of the tin cased Blazer,frankly I'll take it over the WWB stuff if I have a choice.

In fact I'll take ANYTHING over the WWB stuff,as that's the only ammo I've had that misfires if you keep it long enough.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poll incoming.

I say again.

It is fine.

/thread.

Blazer is fine ammo.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This and I have shoot 10-15 thousand rounds of it through various guns in various calibers and I will continue to do so as long as walmart keeps selling it cheap.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#19]
The guy at Walmart said it was terribly dirty...
I've never noticed it being that bad... It might be a little dirtier than WWB, but not much. I wouldn't pay $1 more per box for something else, if it is just practice ammo. I've shot about 300 rounds of their .45ACP without any issues at all. Good, consistent ammo.
I've reloaded some of it... Seems to do fine.
PS: Aguila is something to stay away from. I bought a box to try out... Got to the range... That shit was scary. I pulled it out of the sleeve, and immediately felt ripped off... It appeared they had sent me a primed casing, without a bullet in it. I pull this thing out... It has a bullet... One that is seating incredibly deep.
I start looking closely at the others... OAL is all over the place. No consistency.

I never shot any of it... I'd prefer not to blow my gun up, and my fingers off.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poll incoming.

Self confidence does not automatically mean someone is right.

I know, I know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marx was a confident bastard too, but that didn't make his smelly, bearded self right.

It's possible that he is referring to something that I'm completely unaware of. I'm certainly not anything approaching an authority in how all ammo performs in all weapons. In the vast ocean of knowledge you can fit what I know into a thimble.

That being said, based on what I've seen in my own guns and in the weapons of other people I've shot with, I can't see any basis for worries about "scratching the bore". In fact, it sounds pretty damn hoky to me. Generally scratching the bore is something you hear guys with super-accurate rifles worry about doing with steel cleaning rods or through overly aggressive bore cleaning measures. If he's referring to wearing out the bore, I fail to see how the FMJ bullet used by Speer in the Blazer ammo is going to accomplish that anymore than the FMJ bullet used by any other company in any other loading. If he's referring to the aluminum cases causing some sort of damage to the chamber or feeding surfaces of the weapons, I've seen zero evidence of it on a number of guns that have fired quite a bit of the aluminum cased stuff. In fact, I think it would be pretty difficult to take two identical weapons that have fired 2,000 rounds, one with brass cased FMJ from company X and one of aluminum cased ammo from Speer and be able to tell which was which.

Oh, I'm entirely convinced he's full of it, it's just that he was so naturally sure of his information, it somewhat took me off guard. I guess I was on "condition white" with regards to gun shop BS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#23]
it works, it's dirty as hell, but it works.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I wish I'd bought like 87 brazillion rounds when it was cheap.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#25]
GTG
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Blazer brass or aluminum works great for me. I prefer the brass, but I wouldn't turn down the aluminum.

It's cheap and and I haven't found it to be any dirtier than any other commercial ammo I've tried.

One more thing, it is the most accurate ammo I've used in my Browning MK II Hi Power. I've used Gold Dots, Silvertips, XTP's and numerous brands of FMJ's, but the Blazer Brass is consistently the most accurate. Go figure.

Konger
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#28]
The vast majority of my HG ammo is Blazer brass and aluminum case.  Never had a problem what so ever other than its a bit dirty. Ive shot a lot of it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I wish I could still by blazer 9mm at $4.88 a box at Academy.

I wish I could still buy Blazer Brass 40 at Wally World for $8.97.  I bet it was cheaper than that before that, but I don't want to be greedy.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a bunch of. Its what its blazer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a case head seperation with the Blazer brass 9mm in a Beretta 92. I dont use it anymore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top