Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2009 8:50:15 AM EDT
Did a search, dupe?

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_061809_news_salem_explosive_fireworks.f99623.html

Homemade explosive nearly blows Salem man's hand off

08:57 AM PDT on Thursday, June 18, 2009

By ERIC ADAMS and TERESA YUAN, Kgw.com Staff

SALEM, Ore. –– Explosive material detonated in a Salem man’s house on Wednesday evening, nearly taking his hand off and sending him to the hospital.

A Salem bomb squad was called to secure the residence at 1095 Norway St. NE just before 7 p.m. after neighbors called 9-1-1 to report a loud explosion.

A man in the house said he was trying to make an explosive –– possibly some type of firework –– when it detonated, badly injuring his hand. He was able to get outside and to a neighbor’s yard, where he was found.

Neighbors had reported a series of smaller explosions prior to the loud boom resulting in the man’s injuries. He was described as a “good guy,” but someone who liked to dabble in homemade fireworks.

"He didn't learn when he blew part of his thumb off several years ago, apparently, and it was more serious this time," said neighbor Charlotte Scott.

The victim, 42, was transported to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland for treatment.

Bomb squads were returning to the area Thursday morning to secure the area, determine what explosive materials he was working with, collect them and make sure nearby homes were safe.

Streets were to be closed during the investigation and removal of explosives, according to Salem police.

The victim was not immediately identified.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Not too bright. He's lucky to be alive.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Anarchists Cookbook claims another.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what kind of understanding of chemistry he had, and what kind of critical thinking skills he has.  I've made explosives, but the worst injury I've gotten is a ringing in my ears from forgetting to wear hearing protection while detonating a drop of NG.

There's always room for stupid mistakes, but I'm always ridiculously careful when handling things like that, much more careful than I feel like I need to be.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought this was going to be about that poster that blew part of his hand/fingers off with a high power revolver.  Whatever  happened to him?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I bet he was trying to make flash powder with potassium chlorate.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]

He will only be able to hitch hike in one direction now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top