Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 7:10:54 AM EDT
Monday I received a call from my bank asking me if I was aware of some large purchases attempted on my ATM/CC card, they rattled off 3 attempts 2 from some Bronx Park which seems like it may be a clothing store, the other was tiger direct, a computer parts place...  So basically they shut down the card and such, however I decided I am not going to drop this that easy, I contact tiger direct and let me tell you, they have got to be about the most rude people I have ever dealt with over the phone The first person named Julio or something like that pretty much started ranting and raving about I don't have an order, and would not transfer me to a supervisor, so I called back and talked to some other scumbag who said even if I had the info I wouldn't give it to you anyway......

My questions are,

1. There must be some kind of requirement for companies to keep this information, right?  IP information from the web page or whatever.

2. Which LEO agency covers this type of thing?

3. I want these f'ers fried, how would you do it?

I very rarely use this card, actually I think its been about 4 months since I used this card, where the heck did they get it from? The only reason I even have this account is to cash my paycheck every week, and make my other CC payment via check.  

So basically what it looks like (IMO) so far is people would rather protect the scumbags who pull this crap, and second Tiger Direct are a bunch of jerkoffs and I will and strongly hope anyone else I talk to never buys anything off of them again.

Thanks,
Bob
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the rules concerning credit cards only obligate you for $50 max of the amount stolen.

However I think that ATM/check cards require you to pay the whole thing.  

Does anyone know?  

Does your renter's insurance or your home owner's policy cover your loss?

Check with your local police department.  When my wife was a Special Agent with the GSA she investigated a lot of stolen government and personal credit card cases.  They generally find the criminal by interviewing cashiers and reveiwing security tapes.

It does pi$$ you off though!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think the rules concerning credit cards only obligate you for $50 max of the amount stolen.
View Quote
Depends on your card agreement. READ IT!  Most states limit your liability to $50, but some are higher I believe.
View Quote
That's correct.  It comes out of your checking account immediately.  It is up to you to pursue the fraud complaint in order to be reimbursed.  And the defrauded party may refuse, requiring you to go to court to get your money back.
View Quote
Check your policy.  Depends on what you have covered.  There is, to my knowledge, no law requiring such coverage.
Check with your local police department.  When my wife was a Special Agent with the GSA she investigated a lot of stolen government and personal credit card cases.  They generally find the criminal by interviewing cashiers and reveiwing security tapes.
View Quote
I believe internet fraud is the purview of the Treasury Department, but I could be wrong.
View Quote
Yes.  Yes it does.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#3]
My parents had their card # stolen and was used in FL for a pizza order totaling $375.

The credit card company dealt with the whole thing, and my parents were not responsible for any of the money.

Credit card companies can only charge you up to $50 if your card is stolen and used in a spending spree.

If you ATM/Debit card is stolen you are SOL. As much as I hate paying the interest on a credit card, you have better protection in case of loss.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Does anyone know?  

View Quote

Luckily they (purchases) did not go through, I only make a deposit in this account when I pay a bill.  This is exactly why I do so.

And yes, I am completely PI$$ED.....

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#5]

1. There must be some kind of requirement for companies to keep this information, right?  IP information from the web page or whatever.
View Quote

They might keep it for a month, they might not...anyone carding on a website will probably use a disposable account.  There is the chance the thief is stupid, though.  Different companies will do different things with logs.  Figure that thirty days is a good guess.

2. Which LEO agency covers this type of thing?
View Quote

Both the FBI and Secret Service would have reason to investigate the Tiger Direct transaction.  

3. I want these f'ers fried, how would you do it?
View Quote

Document all conversations with your bank, document when all fraudulent transactions occurred.  Make sure you read this: [url]http://www.ustreas.gov/usss/faq.htm#identity[/url]

Local law enforcement and the FTC should get the ball rolling with the relevant agencies.

I very rarely use this card, actually I think its been about 4 months since I used this card, where the heck did they get it from? The only reason I even have this account is to cash my paycheck every week, and make my other CC payment via check.  
View Quote

Take the part of the SS FAQ where it says contact all three credit agencies to heart.  It is possible that your bank card was acquired by getting information from your credit report and using that to get info about the card from your bank.

If you -rarely- use that card, and always practice good hygiene with the receipts, statements, mailings, etc., it is possible you have been more fully compromised.  Get a copy of your credit report, contact the issuers of all your credit cards to find out if anyone has been added to your account, and be prepared to 'start over' with new cards if necessary.

Take action and start a paper trail -now-.  

Note also:
[url]http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/atmcard.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#6]
been there done this...
your only options for recourse are:
1. if it was for big $$$ then you can get the secret service involved.  they told me very nicely that they only have time for big $$$ (over 1000$) crimes.
2. if your credit card company or bank DOES NOT cover your losses, you can report the theft to your local PD, as most cities have Electronic Fraud depts. (again...dont expect much here).
The response i got from everyone is that this happens so often that theres really nothing they can do about it.
I go so far as the massage IP#'s etc. but i was stopped dead at AOL trying to track the IP down.  they will only give that information to LEO's as part of an investigation.

BOTTOM LINE:
try to call your number in for any online purchases.  police your receipts (cause often they contain your number and exp). or get a card like AMEX Blue where you can generate a one time use number for online purchases.  this still dosent protect you from bastards who write your # down at a store, restauraunt, etc. but the majority of the theft it taking place on line these days.
oh and listen to people who say check your credit
good luck
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Be VERY guarded with a ATM/Debit card and it's number, you can loss a lot of money this way, and it is usually NOT covered by VISA or anyone else. ALSO, anytime you use your card at restaurants, especially, mark out the number and expiration date on the store copy of the reciept, they dont need this (it's already been run) and leaving it on the table is asking for someone to steal it (it has all the information they need to make an online purchase). ALSO, call the credit agencies and put a fraud hold on your accounts, this way, if anyone tries to get credit in your name, they will have to call you first to verify. Good luck with this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top