Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2001 9:22:25 PM EDT
The crew and I are planning to go for the first time to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot.  Please give me some pointers.  What I have to do or see.  Things not to waste my time on.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I am planning on going myself.  Never been before, but that video has me drooling over the firepower present at this shoot.  I am wondering who is planning on actually taking their personal equipment.  Some of the matches look interesting.  I realize that registration for each event probably fills up rather quickly though.  

I sure would appreciate some feedback from any of you guys who have been to this thing.  Should I just go as a spectator my first time, or go ready to have some fun?  I am going to be pissed if I drive 500 miles and find out that everybody and their brother brought their toys, while mine are safely nestled at home. On the other hand, I don't want to show up with a couple lowly semi's at the "mother of all" machinegun shoots if the culture is based purely on auto stuff.

Whats the word?

Joe
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The only reason to bring firearms is to shoot the competition matches and to show them off at the campsite over good food and with good friends.

You can get some time on the rental lower range as they open it up for shooting. You stand in line and wait your turn. Unless you are buddies with someone on the main firing line you will not get even close to the main guns. They do not rent these at all. Separate rental range.

They shoot assault rifle match, pistol match, shotgun match, military bolt action match, a jungle walk where they will rent you a gun,

I shoot the matches and bring guns to shoot them all. Quite a load.

Expect lots of walking. Parking can be up to 2-3 ,miles from the entrance on Saturday.

Friday is the day to shop. Crowds are small cause the locals all are at work plenty of room to talk to vendors about thier products and buy thier stuff.

Saturday is spectator day. Expect standing room only crowds and prices raised on this day because more shoppers means higher prices. Plan on staying till 10:00 or later cause you wanna see the tracer shoot after dark.

Sunday is the day to buy what's left of the ammo and surplus stuff. The vendors do not want to load that heavy/bulky stuff up and take it home.  2-yrs ago Oct. APIT 50cal Talon Re-manuf was down to .75/rnd on Sunday. 50Cal ammo cans as new condition were down to .50 each.

If it rains expect severe mudd.  They don't call it know creek for nothing. I have seen the lower shogun range under 10' of water before in the spring.

Bring lots of money, more than you can imagine you would ever spend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
be sure to take ear plugs or shooting muffs, and don't forget saftey glasses, i wear/use safety sunglasses, serves two purposes.
just my $0.02

will be there too. would be nice to meet some ar15.com'ers

colt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 3:50:39 AM EDT
[#5]
[orange]Information for Knob Creek[/orange]

[url]www.machinegunshoot.com/index.htm[/url]

Make sure to check the weather forecast for the Louisville area, so you know what the climate should be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
If you do go to Knob Creek don't forget to take lots of dollars.  Prices on parts and other assorted goodies are not at bargin prices.  Make a list of things you need and then plan on spending a day searching the vendors and prices.  I did find some deals on parts and a tripod.  I also bought loads of ammo as it was priced well and no shipping charges.  

Don't forget the rain gear, boots, earmuffs, and warm/cold weather gear.  Last april was fantastic for weather.  Sunny and warm.  Unfortunately I don't get to go until the October shoot this year.  It is a hell of a drive from Minnesota but my son and I look forward to going each year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
flatapple:

Have been there one time, last April.
LOVED IT!!!!!

Take plenty of money.
Have GOOD shoes/boots. You will do alot of walking and standing.
Decent rain gear.

Enter one of the matches. I entered the rifle match. It was very interesting. I shot a FAL. The AR15's with scopes always win the top scores.

When the .50 cal's (and bigger) are wide open you will need ear muffs or ear plugs. You can feel the 50's in your body with their tremendous muzzle blast.  A real experience.

After seeing 30 cal Brownings and M60's and 50 cals blazing away a full auto M16 or FAL with a 20 or 30 round mag is really lame. There is no compairson.

You will not regret going.

Wait until you see the pole barn that is there with an unbelievable amount of goods stuffed in it.
BTW -a pole barn has no walls, just telephone poles in the ground to support the roof.

OH - We need to set a place, day and time to have a AR15.com get-together at Knob Creek.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top