Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2009 2:20:19 AM EDT
you're at a stop light, and someone breaks the driver side window, or reaches in and grabs you, or starts assaulting you. Since your ccw weapon is by the left side, what would be the ideal way to defend yourself?

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Practice with both hands,

Like switch hitting in baseball. I am not a lefty but carry on my right. If I am a passenger, I adjust my holster to make a rough left hand grab but workable.

I practice shooting with both hands.

It takes time to learn to be ambidextrous, but in time anyone can learn to shoot either hand.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Its pretty damn hard for a righty to pull from a holster while sitting down in a car too.  That's why I have a handgun wedged between the seat and the center console.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Practice with both hands,

Like switch hitting in baseball. I am not a lefty but carry on my right. If I am a passenger, I adjust my holster to make a rough left hand grab but workable.

I practice shooting with both hands.

It takes time to learn to be ambidextrous, but in time anyone can learn to shoot either hand.

This.

I'll add, what if you're LH/left eye dominant and the broke window just took out your left eye.
Practice RH/right eye shooting...simple.

I'm RH and practice all the combinations, including the cross dominants...been sacking lately though. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The assailant would probably try opening the door first. I don't think if you let them get that close without knowing that they were going to attack then you are not paying attention well enough.

I wouldn't even try to draw at that close of range, you're likely to get shot with your own gun. Just start throwing elbows and whatever will get them off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I keep a 1911 under the seat. I'll go for that with my right hand.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I think about that regularly when driving.  I drive a truck and have enough room to lean and turn to fire, not the best, but it will work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd use my right hand.  Odds are if they are that close to the window that you won't miss them, and if you do thats why god invented high capacity magazines.  I did have a guy try to pull me out of my car one time though.  He claimed i cut him off and that he had right of way backing out of his driveway while i was driving down the street.  That was enough for him to follow me and then try to pull me out my window at the next stoplight.  He was unarmed, stupid, and had just been released from jail.  That is the reason i carry a large knife in my right side pants pocket.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If safe, hit the accelerator.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to think pulling the CCW with the right hand would be the easiest course, but in practice it's pretty awkward for me. My temporary solution is my EDC knife I keep clipped to my right side.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Hit the gas and drive the mofo down the road.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Grab him by the throat, mash the gas, and at a safe speed (safe for me) 55+mph "say get the Fuck out"

Then call the Popo, finally kick his ass.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I speak for most left handed people out there.  We have been discriminated against for our whole lives.  Just about everything in this world is set up for you right handed motherfuckers.  So, most of us left handed people are pretty good at doing things with both hands.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Its pretty damn hard for a righty to pull from a holster while sitting down in a car too. That's why I have a handgun wedged between the seat and the center console.

Good to know I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a southpaw, but i'm ambidextrous when I shoot.  Either hand, and I carry on the right side which is even harder than the left with a seat belt on.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grab him by the throat, mash the gas, and at a safe speed (safe for me) 55+mph "say get the Fuck out"

Then call the Popo, finally kick his ass.

This FTW. I am a Lefty that shoots with both hands equally and keep my gun out when in my car!!

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think I speak for most left handed people out there.  We have been discriminated against for our whole lives.  Just about everything in this world is set up for you right handed motherfuckers.  So, most of us left handed people are pretty good at doing things with both hands.

NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I eat, write, and smoke left handed.  Everything else I do right handed.  Always have.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Situational awareness... don't let anyone get that close to your car... and if they do, have that pistola ready to go in your right hand, but better to drive away or use your vehicle as a weapon.   I think it's probably easier to explain why you hit the gas pedal in fear and ran over the man who was waving a gun in your face  than it is to explain why you were in a gunfight....
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Move to England.

Problem solved.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a SouthPaw I would agree.  

If they come in through the window - try to pin their arms to the roof of the car and floor it - aim at things that will take off the drivers side mirror along with the f*cktard hanging on the side of your car.  If required - back up over them.  Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#21]
pay attention ...

my first response would be to mash the gas pedal ...

wife and i both drive dodge diesels ...

pistol is last resort ... glock 26 or 20 depending on vehicle ...

always place pistol in the door pocket when i'm in the truck ...

always

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I have thought about this. I just think I would lean towards the center console and angle my body to face the door. You can draw and shoot leaning away from the door. Your legs would also be good for a kick to their face....but not while your shooting.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

you're at a stop light, and someone breaks the driver side window, or reaches in and grabs you, or starts assaulting you. Since your ccw weapon is by the left side, what would be the ideal way to defend yourself?

You assume too much.  While I am left handed for writing, I shoot right handed...so BANG!  dead perp

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#24]
1) keep doors locked
2) situational awareness, watch out for this type of thing while at stop lights
3) if someone did get danger close, evac. run red light if need be.
4) if no evac possible, and BG has broken window:
force evac, smashing cars if need be

5) if still a threat:
lean/move right, while twisting upper body square to threat (as much as possible) draw left side gun if possible, start shooting through door and window. if can't draw gun, draw right side knife... get stabby.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll curl up in the fetal position and pray the Obama saves me
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#26]
The Army put my through Anti Terrorism Evasive Driving school (I drove generals).  Its been a few years but I think I could still remember the drills.  They all involved driving away very fast - hence "evasive." None of them involved heroic gunfights, although I did carry.

Oh, and lock the doors when driving.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I can fire either way. Although by that point your better off throwing broken glass in their eyes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#28]
As a lefthanded person, i've often been told we think about stuff differently because of the opposite side of the brain and all that.

So.

I'm at a stoplight.

Some jackass busts out my window and grabs me.

CCW is on my left side....because I am left handed.

But I'm still in the car.

So, grab the jackass back, right foot, gas pedal, floor, steer the car like a rodeo bull.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most lefties (physical attribute) are somewhat ambi, including myself.

I would stick my Spyderco in the bad guys eye, with my right hand
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Its pretty damn hard for a righty to pull from a holster while sitting down in a car too.  That's why I have a handgun wedged between the seat and the center console.

+1

Or use a cross-draw.  Put the holster on your left hip if you're right-handed or on your right hip if you're left-handed.  It's not perfect, but defending yourself from inside a vehicle is not easy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#31]
It isn't on the left side, it is wedged between the seats. I would say a quick prayer for my eardrums and pull it out.

ETA: I do the "memphis stop" anyway. There is plenty of room between myself and the car in front of me to get out of the way if something goes wrong around me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My knife stays clipped to my right side.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Situational awareness... don't let anyone get that close to your car... and if they do, have that pistola ready to go in your right hand, but better to drive away or use your vehicle as a weapon.   I think it's probably easier to explain why you hit the gas pedal in fear and ran over the man who was waving a gun in your face  than it is to explain why you were in a gunfight....

You must not have spent much time driving in big cities.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I think I speak for most left handed people out there. We have been discriminated against for our whole lives. Just about everything in this world is set up for you right handed motherfuckers. So, most of us left handed people are pretty good at doing things with both hands.

This is my experience.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

grab their arm and floor it?  after a few miles being drug at around 70 they will of learned their lesson

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

bingo

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Yup, us lefties are good at making things work for us, we gotta be!
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#38]
drive off
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bingo

AMEN BROTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the upside, it makes buying decisions easier.  If I CAN'T opperate it w/ my left hand, I'm not buying the damn thing.  Now where the fuck are my reparations!!!!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
smash on the gas and hold on to him and line him up to run into another car or pole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top