Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 7:45:01 PM EDT
"I'm a gun-owner, and a hunter. So this is a serious question...

Why would a civilian want to fork out the extra money and get a milspec barrel? I would assume "civilian" barrels are plenty accurate?"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

"I'm a gun-owner, and a hunter. So this is a serious question...

Why would a civilian want to fork out the extra money and get a milspec barrel? I would assume "civilian" barrels are plenty accurate?"

IN
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
This could be good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Because Mil-Spec barrels have better steel, chrome, and inspections?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh-oh. Here we go with mil-spec again.
Mil spec is the pinacle of weapon design, circa 1978.
Lots of improvements have been made over the last 30 years, so while "mil-spec" is good enough, it may not be the best there is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you are getting the milspec barrels for the same price as Uncle Sugar, get a quality custom barrel.  The accuracy is worth it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ummmm... no

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No they don't

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Held to higher endurance standards also.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Held to higher endurance standards also.

More thrusts per squeeze?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#10]
You've been a member of this site since 2004 and you still have to ask
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You've been a member of this site since 2004 and you still have to ask

It's not me asking...Someone on SlickDeals asked this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Wrong.  Mil-spec has little do with accuracy.  It has to do with the manufacturer following guidlines for materials used, Tooling and testing used. General QA stuff...which = accuracy as a by-product of quality.

You didnt have to state you were a hunter...the question told us that.  Think of it this way....

I am a car owner and a soccar-mom, So this is a serious question...

Why would a mini-van not have a side opening door?  I assume loading and unloading kids are easier with one.

see my point.

If its not mil-spec, and you are putting it on a firearm WEAPON designed for that type, how do you know it was made to the correct spec?  Was it made in China with extra pot metal?  was it tested,.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wrong.  Mil-spec has little do with accuracy.  It has to do with the manufacturer following guidlines for materials used, Tooling and testing used. General QA stuff...which = accuracy as a by-product of quality.

You didnt have to state you were a hunter...the question told us that.  Think of it this way....

Why would a mini-van not have a side opening door?  I assume loading and unloading kids are easier with one.

see my point.

If its not mil-spec, and you are putting it on a firearm WEAPON designed for that type, how do you know it was made to the correct spec?  Was it made in China with extra pot metal?  was it tested,.....

I'm just reposting the question, man. It's not me who asked. Follow the link.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

see my point.

I'm just reposting the question, man. It's not me who asked. Follow the link.

link?

ETA - NM, found it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top