Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 5:54:56 AM EDT
......[b] but so what!!! [/b]

Nobody was born with a guarantee that life would be easy.

Life isn't easy one hundred percent of the time for anybody, nothing is.

I've choked down a few shit sandwiches from the diner of life, but I'm still here and I aint leaving for a long time.

People who take their own life as a remedy for not being able to overcome obstacles in their life are doing nothing more than creating pain and confusion to those who love and care for them.

[b] Everybody [/b] on the face of this earth has [b]someone [/b] who loves, admires, or otherwise looks up to them.  There is nobody who hasn't made some kind of impact on someone.

There is a thirteen year old boy in the Pediatric CCU ward at Riverside General Hospital who hung himself Monday evening.

His name is Tyson, and right now he is nothing more than a vegetable.  I've taken this boy shooting, riding, four wheeling, he's been to my son's birthday parties, we've been to his, I've taken him to a supercross, and he was at my wedding.

His mom had to cut him down and administer CPR while the paramedics were en route.  She couldn't revive him, though the paramedics did.  He was without oxygen long enough to cause severe damage to his brain and the doctors say that if he makes it, he'll only have the most basic of functions.

The doctors have already recommended the mother request a bio ethics committee should she decide to pull the plug in six to eight weeks if his status doesn't improve.

I never would have guessed this could ever happen.

If you have a kid who is troubled, talk to him or her and open up the lines of communication.  It breaks my heart to see Tyson laying in that bed.

Suicide is not the answer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Your right on the money desertrider.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
DesertRider,
My heart is saddened by this news. We always think that stuff like this does not happen to  us...But it does sometimes.
You can not blame yourself...It sounds to me like you had the communication lines open.
I wish you the best in dealing with the situation and with your family and his.[:|]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
DesertRider:

That is a terrible thing.

When I was in high school, I had a freind who lived just up the street from me, we did everything together.  He used to come over (we were 14-15) and we would talk about Vietnam, the future and what we were going to do in the Army, etc.

He had a large family, 10 brothers and sisters.

One day when the rest of the family went to church, he hung himself.

No one ever knew why, but we suspected it was his deteriorating relationship with his father.

That affected my life a great deal, I often wonder what would Paul have become if he had not decided to do something so stupid.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
DesertRider,
My condolences to you, your son, and Tyson's family. Hang in there,your son and Tyson's mom are going to need a lot of support to get through this.

Matt
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#5]
My Dad took his own life about 1 1/2 years ago.  Him and I were pretty close, but there are some things I guess a Father cannot tell his Son.  He got re-married to the woman from hell and had some financial troubles as well.  I miss him very much and a tear comes to my eye every day because of this.  His death brought a lot of anguish to everyone who loved him.  I have forgiven him for taking his own life due to the circumstances, but I would never follow in his foot steps.  Suicide is selfish.  It hurts others too much.  I hope God has forgiven him as well because I envision him and my Grandpa in heaven talking about cars, carpentry and guns.  Life can be tough, but there is always a better alternative to suicide.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
So sad to hear about Tyson.....My condolences to his family, to your son and to you.

Suicide is selfish. It hurts others too much
View Quote

I hear you 226man, it's so sad and so true......, my condolences to you and your family. I did have my up and down but I have not gone through anyhting like this. Be strong, and.......Life must goes on.....It sucks, but it must goes on.

I will hug my kid and wife tonight when I get home.

Edited to say that I just phone home to say that I loved them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah, suicide is selfish...from the viewpoint of a person who doesn't feel like his life is so worthless that he'd be better off dead, from the viewpoint of a person who doesn't feel like he's a drain on friends and family, causing them more grief than anythiing else.

as irrational as it sounds, i would hazard a guess that a good number of suicides were done with the person thinking he was doing others a favor.  i mean think about it, when a person is so depressed that he is  contemplating suicide, do you really think that he is thinking rationally, with his head on straight?

the mind of a person that depressed that he would consider suicide operates under a different set of rules as the rational person's mind.  i think it's unfair to judge them that way.

i'm not advocating suicide or saying that it's okay.  but the view looks quite different from the other side.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#8]
My best friend's older brother "Rich" hung himself 10 years ago in jail after getting caught by the police during an attempted robbery of a gas station.

He had been hanging out with the "wrong" crowd and it was obvious to us at the time (we were still young teenagers) that only bad things would happen from hanging out with this group. Me and the rest of my friends never did or said anything about it because we thought that it was just a phase and/or that we were all growing apart because of the upcoming college years. [b]WE(me and/or my friends) NEVER DID ANYTHING ABOUT RICH'S NEW FRIENDS![/b]

Rich left a suicide note stating that "he was very sorry for the pain and embarrasment he caused his family" (His father was an NYPD detective) and managed to hang himself using the bedsheets in his cell.

To this day I wonder, what if?
Indeed, suicide is not an answer but a cowards way out. I didn't cry at his funeral, probably because I was incredibly angry and confused at what he had done to his family that loved and supported him very much. R.I.P my friend...

Desert Rider. I'm very sorry to hear about Tyson. If there is anything I can do to help, just ask.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Just goes to show anyone thinking of "ending it all" that although you may end [b]your[/b] pain and suffering, it cartainly causes your friends and family much more pain and suffering. I could never imagine the feelings of those of you on this thread that have suffered such loss. My condolences...

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The thing that really pisses me off when I hear this kind of shit is seeing some other 13 year old boy with no hair on is head, fighting for his life against cancer.  He wants to live so, so bad and has to be just freaked out about the prospects of dying that the fear alone would kill him.

Hell I'm riding around in this 46 year old carcass and would gladly exchange it for a later model.

The older I get the longer I want to live.

My condolences to you DesertRider and all those that knew this kid.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
 John,sorry to hear about the loss to both yours and Tyson's famalies,give Anthony a extra big hug and make sure he understands what's going on,sometimes they understand more than you think.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#12]
What could it be in the state of Kali that would lead anyone to believe that they have no hope and their lives are totally worthless?

Oh wait, forget it, I just thought of about 5,000 things!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Permanent solution to temporary problem.  Regards.

Watergate scandal breaks. US pulls out of Vietnam. Arab oil embargo brings Europe to its knees. Bic invents the disposable lighter. Members of the Marin County Canyon in California invents the mountain bike.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Matt, Tony, and all those with kind words and thoughts,

Thank you.

Tyson is not related to me, but he has been a part of my family.

I spent a good portion of today at the hospital.  Things are very grim.  He underwent an EEG test this morning and another CAT scan this afternoon, and both revealed that there is excessive swelling over his entire brain and that a critical portion of his brain may have sustained major irreversible damage.

Doctors fear he may not survive the next 72 hours.

His mom is taking this recent news extremely hard.

trickshot,

He is thirteen years old. His dad left four years ago, he and his mom have been struggling ever since.  She had major intestinal surgery nine months ago that has completely messed up their lives even more.  He was thrust into the role of being the only one to take care of her.

Your choice of words was at best a gross display of insensitivity and crudeness.

I don't know what led him to this point in his young life, but whatever it was, it was obviously too much for him to bear.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#15]
DesertRider,

How sad something like this has happened, My prayers go out to all concerned.

Additionally, that other post was uncalled for.

Trickshot, you are an idiot and should apologize for your stupid remarks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Man, I don't know what to say.  All of us has problems in life, but I guess mine pretty much pales against your friend's. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, I'm sure that it is very painful.  But you can stand tall knowing that you did everything you humanly could. You are trully a good friend. It shows how precious life can be.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The thing that really pisses me off when I hear this kind of shit is seeing some other 13 year old boy with no hair on is head, fighting for his life against cancer.  He wants to live so, so bad and has to be just freaked out about the prospects of dying that the fear alone would kill him.

Hell I'm riding around in this 46 year old carcass and would gladly exchange it for a later model.

View Quote

Ditto.  Right down the age factor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#18]
On a lighter note....
"Life's a bitch, then you marry one"

or

"Life's a bitch, then you die"
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#19]
 Teenagers must have more intense emotions than the older folks.  We had a suicide of one of the neighbors last year, their 15 yr old son did himself in b/c his GF broke up with him.  I can far too readily understand why someone who is very ill or in great pain would want to end it all, sometimes the pain is so great it renders one unable to think clearly.  Young teenagers seem not to be able to see past the immediate.
 My condolences to you and yours.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You almost sound like me. though people think im crazy for daydreaming about living a biblical lifespan of 800+ years, i think i would enjoy it. there is alot more to life then some samll town or shitty job. there is no way you can live a "full" life. imagine all the places to visit and things to learn. life is too short. by the time you wise up about it your too old to enjoy it they way you'd really want.

elvish lib
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What could it be in the state of Kali that would lead anyone to believe that they have no hope and their lives are totally worthless?

View Quote

Eat shit and die, ya prick. It would be a better world if you committed suicide. And if you do commit suicide, use an AR-15 and call me so that I can hear your head being blown off.[pissed]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Eat shit and die, ya prick. It would be a better world if you committed suicide. And if you do commit suicide, use an AR-15 and call me so that I can hear your head being blown off.[pissed]
View Quote
[red]WOW...someones touchy![/red]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#25]
This guy just slams California every chance he gets. It doesn't matter what the subject is. If a boy commits suicide it's because he lives in Cali, if there's a shooting it's because it's Cali, if someone scratches their pinky it's because they live in Cali. GIMME A BREAK!!! No one has ever commited suicide in other states? What a fvcking prick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top