Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:34:25 PM EDT
I just read this tonight...
So I can be fully in compliance with the law... Is there a widely accepted "canned" letter for this?
Likewise, Texas law allows minors to buy guns FTF, if they have written permission. Any good "canned" letters for that?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
"In compliance with absurd law (insert law citation) I hereby give lamarbrog Jr.  permission to use/buy firearms.

-Lamarbrog"

Seriously?  That sounds a little weird.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you point us to the law or is this the Holy Word of the Intertubez speaking?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Can you point us to the law or is this the Holy Word of the Intertubez speaking?

It might just be that...

Give me a few moments to see if I can find it again.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you read Sec. 46.06 and 46.13 of the TX penal code???
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Have you read Sec. 46.06 and 46.13 of the TX penal code???

Sec. 46.06.  UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS.

(a)  A person commits an offense if the person:

(2)  intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under Subsection
(a)(2) that the transfer was to a minor whose parent or the person
having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the
sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person
having legal custody had given effective consent.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.06
Posted by "wdlsguy"

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
It appears this is a state law, and from a state other than Texas...  I was mistaken.
I have heard of this before... As being a Federal law... Just one that no one payed any attention to. I've gone 16 years without my papers
and just felt like seeing what answers would come up.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just read this tonight...

So I can be fully in compliance with the law... Is there a widely accepted "canned" letter for this?

Likewise, Texas law allows minors to buy guns FTF, if they have written permission. Any good "canned" letters for that?

Written permission for a minor to what?

-Buy a firearm?  Don't think that'll fly.  I'm pretty sure an adult has to fill out the 4473, and a firearm has to be gifted to a minor by parents or legal guardians.  However, that's perfectly legal in LA with no extra paperwork.

-Posses or use a firearm?  First I've ever heard of that.  To my understanding, a minor using his own firearm for lawful purposes doesn't need to explain themselves any further, at least around here.

Seriously, if that was a law and ever enforced, 75% of the parents I know would be in the pokey
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Even under CA law someone who is at least 18 but under 21 can have a pistol transferred to them from a parent. But not a FFL IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Even under CA law someone who is at least 18 but under 21 can have a pistol transferred to them from a parent. But not a FFL IIRC.

Yeah... But we're talking under 18 here.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well...stop being <18

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In CA the firearm(long gun only IIRC) can be 'loaned' to the minor for 30 days with written permission from the parent/guardian. A signed letter(type it) with the gun's make and serial # and parent contact info would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well...stop being <18

Working on it.... I suspect I'll have that project completed in about a year and a half... hard to say for sure, though.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#15]

The OP is a minor in TX and he thought he needed a note from his Mommy or Daddy to have guns.  Can't blame him too much many on Arfcom get confused over state laws, especially for other states.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

In CA the firearm(long gun only IIRC) can be 'loaned' to the minor for 30 days with written permission from the parent/guardian. A signed letter(type it) with the gun's make and serial # and parent contact info would be a good idea.

When I used to take friends of my sons out to the desert to shoot I used to get a signed letter from their parents just to cover them and me for letting them shoot.  Although the law doesn't call for it, having the letter covered my ass AND it made sure the parents knew their kids were doing more the 4 wheeling out there with us.  

It basically said, "IAW CA Penal Code Section humptyfrumpf, I hereby give permission for Pa Danby to supply my son with guns and ammuntion and to supervise them while shooting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top