Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:19:13 PM EDT
the bad acting on the part of everyone but Clint Eastwood?

It was horrible. In the movie trivia it says that they just pulled those Hmong off the streets. They weren't even professional actors and it showed.

I'm starting to think that people were so infatuated with the level of bad-ass coming off Eastwood that they just weren't able to be bothered by the bad acting of everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The acting was pretty bad but other than that it was a great movie.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sheesh, this is like the 4th thread today on Gran Torino....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem is that they NEVER use the N word.

Fake, Gay, and Fake.

The N word would come out of his mouth every third word.

Dumb movie.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
OP is a commie
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
No! I have never heard anyone bitch about the rookie actors in that movie. Especially here.

P.S. I loved it, awesome movie.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that the actors were "normal" people and not actors by trade added some charm to the movie.

It was a great movie and all the cast did a great job. A real classic type movie.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Blasphemy!! Ban the OP!

actually, I am apparently the one arfcommer that hasn't seen it yet. So disregard my post.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP is a commie

It is true

However, I was looking forward to this film but the bad acting actually brought Clint down a couple notches. It was a shame.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
"They weren't even professional actors and it showed. "

That's the problem. You've gotten used to everything so scripted, it's artificial. Life isn't like that. 'cept in Obamaville!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was a good movie, not the best CE movie ever, but good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It was horrible. In the movie trivia it says that they just pulled those Hmong off the streets. They weren't even professional actors and it showed.

I'm starting to think that people were so infatuated with the level of bad-ass coming off Eastwood that they just weren't able to be bothered by the bad acting of everyone else.

That and it seemed like there was something wrong with the editing.  There was no tension.  In Mystic River (another Clint Eastwood movie) there was this constant sense that something really bad was going to happen.  This movie seemed like it should have had that, and could have, but didn't for some reason.  Every time a little tension was built up, was just killed by the awkward acting and the pacing.  I really wanted it to be good, and was kind of sad when I didn't like it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, the girl was pretty bad sometimes.  I liked it overall, though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
My problem with the movie was the ending.  It was too easy.  It was as if the writer couldn't figure out how to end the story.

The fatal flaw was the bad guys hanging around to be caught by the cops.  In real life, they would have run as soon as Eastwood went down, and would have murdered the kid at the next opportunity.

And the cop saying "these guys are going away for a long time"... a public defender would have a field day with the fact that he showed up at their place acting like he had a gun.

Maybe I need to see it again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I can see your point, especially the scene where Walt locks 'Toad' in the basement and he freaks out. I thought that scene was pretty weak. Other than that though, this is the best movie I've seen in a very long time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My problem with the movie was the ending.  It was too easy.  It was as if the writer couldn't figure out how to end the story.

The fatal flaw was the bad guys hanging around to be caught by the cops.  In real life, they would have run as soon as Eastwood went down, and would have murdered the kid at the next opportunity.

And the cop saying "these guys are going away for a long time"... a public defender would have a field day with the fact that he showed up at their place acting like he had a gun.

Agreed, as he had issues with the ending as I just had issues with my termpaper...... But both still turned out good.........................rock on clint... and get off my lawn.............

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Come on, Clint's like in his late 70's and has more bad ass behind him than Chuck Norris will ever have.  The man made the Model 29 unobtanium in the 1970's.  Name another actor that made a gun asfamous or with so many quotable movie lines.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's the cost of knowing a "good" movie from an "entertaining" movie
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, as he had issues with the ending as I just had issues with my termpaper...... But both still turned out good.........................rock on clint... and get off my lawn.............

I guess I wasn't clear, I consider it a fatal flaw.  Still entertaining for various reasons, but not a good movie.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#19]
In spots it was pretty lousy - the barber shop routine trying to "man him up a little bit" and the construction trailer scene.

Take those two out and I say it was great all around.  Clint has some laugh out loud lines and the way he was talking all bigot-like was dammed funny.

All in all - he played a guy with 40 years in the Ford plant, honest-hard-working left behind in a neighborhood that wasn't filled with the same people - I'm sure many can identify with Walt Kowalski.

Not every movie is 100% great - if they are, they become classics & Oscar winners
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Sure the acting probably sucked but I didn't give a shit.

It was just a dumbass movie that wasn't good enough to get all that upset about.

I gave it a 5 out of 10 on IMDB.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh shit - if that be the case, they go up in my rating.  The girl was a natural.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fake, Gay, and Fake.

Dumb movie.

He did call the thugs "spooks."
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The acting was pretty bad but other than that it was a great movie.

They probably paid the Hmong minimum wage. The movie was made in Michigan now that our Canadian occuption governor refunds almost all of the movie production  expenses.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Yea it was shit, not like the high class art movies preferred by members here.

No naked kick boxing woman and there was nothing exploding every 3.45 seconds, and on top of that the movie actually make you think, now WTF is that about.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is it completely. That movie could have been an 8 out of 10 if they'd had some decent actors (anyone above high school actors would do). As it was, it was embarrassing to sit through. 3 out of 10.

I love Clint and was soooooo disappointed that he'd put his "OK" on this piece of shit. It sucked HARD.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, especially the young Asian girl actor, she sucked.  But she was hot.  I really like Asian girls, especially the Americanized ones that have porked up a bit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I liked it, thats all that matters to me
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake, Gay, and Fake.

Dumb movie.

He did call the thugs "spooks."

Does Not Count.  We all know what a "thug" is, and CE was too much of a pussy to say so.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope, didn't notice a bit. I just watched for the first time 10 minutes ago. And all I have to say is, holy shit!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't care as long as he squinted, growled, and stuck a gun in a dirtbag's face.

His interactions with Toad were hilarious too.

"Here's WD-40, vise grips, and duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix half the things that need fixing with those 3 items."
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yea it was shit, not like the high class art movies preferred by members here.

No naked kick boxing woman and there was nothing exploding every 3.45 seconds, and on top of that the movie actually make you think, now WTF is that about.

Star Trek was WAY better than Gran Torino.

Pew Pew!  GRAAAAR!  Ker-Smash!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree. I think almost any one of us could have pulled off any of the Asian rolls. He probably paid next to nothing for the casting and pocketed a whole shit load of cash for himself.

Was a little but pissed off at him for that. Could have been a good movie if it were done right.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#33]
hahaha 40% in the poll say acting "wasnt bad" I must have been watching a different fucking movie .
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#34]
The only time I noticed was when he locked the kid in the basement. That was painful to watch because the acting sucked so bad.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The fact that the actors were "normal" people and not actors by trade added some charm to the movie.

It was a great movie and all the cast did a great job. A real classic type movie.

This!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#36]

It wasn't a great movie. It was too predictable, it lacked suspense and action. It wasn't very heartwarming and the story was weak. The acting wasn't that bad but the script wasn't that good. I believe the impromptu actors were up to the task and could have pulled off a pretty good performance if they had a more challenging role. Clint Eastwood has been doing movies that are more PC ever since he did "The Unforgiven". He is trying to get away from the violence that made him famous, it just ain't the same Clint that we know and love to watch. I won't buy "Gran Torino" for my collection.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The only time I noticed was when he locked the kid in the basement. That was painful to watch because the acting sucked so bad.

I noticed throughout but at that point it actually broke the illusion for me.

It was still a good movie though.  Foreseeable or not, the characters were well-written (if not well-acted) and it carried good messages about discretion, self-sacrifice and redemption that are notably absent from most of today's entertainment.

That's not to say Clint couldn't still stop McCaining and get his shit together politically, but I won't hold that against this movie.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I said it before, ans Il say it again. I expected to like it, because of all I heard about it, but thought it sucked...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#39]
It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either.  It was very predictable, had awkward moments at times, and the acting by most was terrible.  It did have some kick a" moments by Clint though.  I thought the moment he pulled the fake gun out of his jacket on those three guys was hilarious.  It was also funny to hear him call his neighbors what he did and receive no reaction from them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#40]
The Hmong girl could have used some work, especially during those scenes in the truck. Everything else was awesome. End of story.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Okay at best. Others have already pointed out the flaws - so I won't bother. But yes, really bad acting in spots, not a very engaging story and a "convenient" wrap-up in the end that left me feeling like I had just wasted 2 hours of my life. I would have preferred an ending where no one dared testify and they all walked... Shit ending too, but at least that would be more realistic.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Movie was overrated but people liked it becuase it was the only non CG crappy movie that was out...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Worst acting in the history of motion pictures... ruined a good movie.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

This!!!!!

The acting is "bad" because they are NOT actors!!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#45]
For one, they weren't actors.

Which leads to point two:  in Real Life, people don't act like Hollywood.  Not every line is witty, insightful, heart-felt, or badass.  Real People (TM) say plenty of retarded, boring, asinine, and hackneyed things in the course of their day to day lives.  The actors playing Walt's family and the priest should have made that clear-they were deliberately cast to be over-the-top stereotypes, while the Hmong neighbors were to act like real, normal people.

None of which fits into most moviegoer's preconceived notions of what should and shouldn't be shown on the silver screen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Bad acting all around. Clint's acting has never been strong, but it was pretty weak in GT.

Bad writing on the ending. They basically phoned it in.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Get off my lawn!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I cried at the end and am not afraid to admit it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#49]
MICHAEL BAY
EXPLOSIONS!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For one, they weren't actors.

Which leads to point two: in Real Life, people don't act like Hollywood. Not every line is witty, insightful, heart-felt, or badass. Real People (TM) say plenty of retarded, boring, asinine, and hackneyed things in the course of their day to day lives. The actors playing Walt's family and the priest should have made that clear-they were deliberately cast to be over-the-top stereotypes, while the Hmong neighbors were to act like real, normal people.

None of which fits into most moviegoer's preconceived notions of what should and shouldn't be shown on the silver screen.

This. And FWIW, Thao/"Toad" was every bit what he was supposed to be, an introverted boy who is trying find his own identity, all the while lacking any positive male role models until he met Walt.

If the actor who played him isn't that way, he nailed the characterization!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top