Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 4:15:55 PM EDT
Intermittent lost of Speedometer Function, trouble code 0500 comes up on the OBD II (VSS).

Per the manual, I have to take off part of the exhaust and heat shield to get to it....doesn't sound too fun.

Either looking for a way to avoid taking the heat shield off, or if there is a way to check the connection fairly easily (could a loose plug give the intermittent problem, or is it likely the sensor?)..

Part isn't too expensive $30, but a great hassle (at least it looks like it) getting to it.

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:36:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the Dayshifters....
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Taking off exhaust parts is never fun , But I doubt you have a choice. Maybe you can undo some hangers and just lower the whole thing down enough to get to the sensor? (shot in the dark )
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
just looked at the book on that.

It looks like the exhaust is the way to get to it.

The trans is kinda under the back of the engine and one exhaust manifold and there is just no easy way to get to it.

I have used a dead man and dropped the two back bolts of the cradle to get to it.

Just be careful to not streach the power steering lines and steering shaft.

It might give that extra inch that you need.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like I'll be in for a sore weekend (on my back under the car).

I'm hoping to see and/or feel it enough to check/wiggle the connections before I have to take exhaust parts off the car.

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top