Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 2:22:05 PM EDT
I have seen in the last few days, perfectly healthy young people parking in handicap parking with a permit and walking briskly into the store to get something.

In my mind, if you park in handicap parking, you should be wrestling a wheelchair out of the back of the car or using a walker or some other type of device to get around, or have a temporary condition like a broken leg or something...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife has one. She uses it all the time but you wouldn't know she was handicaped. Her back is really screwed up but she eats good drugs so at times it doesn't look like she is bad off enough to have the permit.
Take it with however many grains of salt you wish.

As an aside I would never use this without her in the car.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't anger the ADA people, you might wake up dead.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
All it takes is a DR signature on a form in most states.  I know of a DR in NW Wash, DC who charges $45 for an office visit and will sign damn near anything.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

All it takes is a DR signature on a form in most states.  I know of a DR in NW Wash, DC who charges $45 for an office visit and will sign damn near anything.

that is what I am thinking.

DK-profs example is valid, but the numbers of people that are parking in handicap with no outward signs of disability means many are abusing the system, statistically.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It's fun to watch the old timers in Grove, OK, up by Grand Lake. It's a retirement community where most of them have at least a little money and EVERYONE has a doctor on the take who will give them ALL thier handicap parking permit. Those old geezers may go jogging every morning but by God they WILL have a permit.

When everyone has a permit, the spaces run out fast.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one.  I broke my leg a few years ago and was laid up for 4 1/2 months.  A temp tag wouldn't last long enough
so I applied for a handicap mirror hanger.  The thing is good for 10 yrs.  I paid my money for it, so I'm going to use it.

But, I only use it occasionally when no other parking is available and I'm only going to a few minutes.

As Murphy's law would have it, when I want to use it the handicap spaces are usually filled too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
could be a family members car...

they started putting new signs in the subway here reminding people that its against the law to not give up your seat for the disabled if asked (and if youre sitting in a seat labeled as priority seating for elderly/disabled).  the signs also say, 'remember,not all disabilities are visible.'
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one.  I broke my leg a few years ago and was laid up for 4 1/2 months.  A temp tag wouldn't last long enough
so I applied for a handicap mirror hanger.  The thing is good for 10 yrs.  I paid my money for it, so I'm going to use it.

But, I only use it occasionally when no other parking is available and I'm only going to a few minutes.

As Murphy's law would have it, when I want to use it the handicap spaces are usually filled too.

IBTSS
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Who cares ? If they want to disable themselves its their business.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a good friend who has been on disability for almost 20 years and has a permanent handicap parking permit.  His condition?  He has something called pressure urticaria which means he breaks out in hives if he puts pressure on his skin too long in an area (tight belt, tight shoes, working with tools, ect...).  Needless to say, he is perfectly able to work and function more than anyone.  He just has to take a couple meds to block histamine.  He goes camping, shooting, and does all the fun things people do, with no trouble.  His only drawback from not working all these years is his income from SS is about 1500 a month.  He barely makes it without a wife to support him.  He's on his 5th marriage right now.

Thing is, he worked at Honeywell as a tech and made really good money.  Not at all a physical job.  Just sit at a work station and do your thing.  He just didn't want to work.  

His brother, also a good friend of mine, hates that he is like that and we've talked at length about it.  His brother even tried to get him small jobs to make extra money, but he refuses.  "His eyes are bad", "his back bothers him", "he doesn't have the time"  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
My 24 year old room mate had his back destroyed in the Army.  He has to take 5 methadone a day just to keep from being in excruciating pain.  He'll have to do that for the rest of his life.  I say let him have the damn parking spot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't let it bother me since I park as far out in the lots away from all the lazy, door banging assholes as I can anyway.

I have only become sensitive to it since my 85 yo Dad is on his last legs now and truly needs a handicapped spot at the grocery store, and more times than not, it is the 'entitled' people parked in all the spots there.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Lots of folks around here are using a family members tag which is technically illegal.  They even use them when the relative is in the car but not going into the store.  Doctor's here seem to give them out for the asking almost.  

There are those who really need them who don't appear to though as others have noted.  Buddy of mine has had three back surgeries, rods placed and disk fused as well as an implanted TEMS; on a good day you can't tell unless you notice his hips don't rock like a normal person walking but even then he starts hurting if he walk for too long on a hard surface.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]
another parking lot doctor....

thanks for judging a book by the cover.  been disabled for about a decade now and i am 36, started w/ upper back/neck neurological issues that quickly went south, then moved to mid back.  my low back was good until a spinal tumor - i was told to be happy if i could walk again due to location and tumor size but it needed to come out as it may be malignant and i was starting to have problems walking anyway.  if the tumor came out malignant i would be started on chemo/radiation after surgery when the test came back a day or so later.  tumor turned out to be benign so i was out of neuro icu in just a day and a half, onto the normal neuro floor for another 4 days or so

i can walk, but w/ the upper back/neck issues, twisting of the spine from uncontrollable muscle spasms that get somewhat controlled by deep botox injections and then the nerve damage/back & leg issues from the tumor removal and multiple disc/vertabrae issues, when i go out, i will use the permit if i need it but always think that there is somebody out there that needs it more than i so i may skip using the gimp spot based on the parking lot.  some days i don't look too bad walking and my conditions may not be that obvious to you parking lot docs, but others i am twisted and my shoulders may 4-6" off or my head stuck in a "locked" position, or sometimes i can't rotate my head at all so i have my wife drive me somewhere.

so maybe a little fucking empathy as you don't know what is going on in people's lives.  when i have had broken bones people think it is so bad, but it is a walk in the park from my "normal" life and the main issues that ail me.  sadly people only understand what they can see.  quit being ignorant.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#17]
My Dad has handicapped plates on his vehicles and unless his wife [who has cancer] is with him, never uses them.

A lot of the healthy people using them are idiots who are driving the vehicle of a family member who has issues. It'll usually be the punkass 18-25 year olds who then walk briskly to the store with their skank GF in tow.

I've NEVER [] said a word to them.

The best was some young ass Ford mechanic driving a customers car for a "test drive" who pulled into the store, parked in the one handicapped spot and hopped out and ran into the store to buy snacks. Some guy in blue was waiting for him when he came out who then wanted to see his DL to see if he owned the car himself. [he didn't] Bad place to do it as it's 1/2 block from the popo station and it's the "fill up place" for the locals and the State Police who's post is the other way down the road.

I'd bet he didn't make enough off the job to pay the ticket.  

Sooner or later...................everyone will have a handicapped plate and the entire lot will be handicap parking only.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks to the f**ked up Doctors in our f**ked up health care system.  
After a debilitating illness, I asked my Dr. for one.  He said: "Listen you SOB, if you want to live, I want you to
park in the most distant slot from the door and walk in and back, everywhere you go.   Forget about it!"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Just saw one today at the grocery store.

Young lady literally jogged her cart from her car in a handicapped stall to the cart return area, and then skipped back to and then climbed into her giant SUV.

Commented on what I saw to wife who was there too. She stated "being black is probably an acceptable handicap for a parking permit now".
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Please don't judge all harshly.
My wife has a neurological disease and is disabled. As a result she has what is called a "T" tube trache.
It is not noticable from a distance.
The problem is, she never knows when she is going to have an attack. When she does it becomes very
difficult for her to function and even get to her car.

I will say this. There still are great people in this country. Almost everywhere she shops they have gotten to know
her and someone is always willing to help her with groceries etc. to her car.

Normally you would see her and think what the hell does she have a handicap sticker for. That is when things are
good. Stick around and you would see why she has the tag.

Trust me, she would gladly give that sticker up to be normal again.

I used to ask the same questions, I have a different outlook now.
I feel the stares when we go somewhere, but when I have to practically carry her out of the Restaraunt or grocery
store, the looks change.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I always see fat people with them. Kind of counterintuitive.

They have to wobble their fat ass into Walmart to spend their SS check on cigarettes and Twinkies.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have seen in the last few days, perfectly healthy young people parking in handicap parking with a permit and walking briskly into the store to get something.

In my mind, if you park in handicap parking, you should be wrestling a wheelchair out of the back of the car or using a walker or some other type of device to get around, or have a temporary condition like a broken leg or something...

How many years have you spent as a doctor?  What is your specialty in?  You must be a pretty talented doctor if you can diagnose someone as they walk across a parking lot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a guy flip out on me and want to fight in the middle of a store when I asked him, "did you notice that you're parked in a handicapped spot?"

He was screaming at me that I must think I'm a fucking tough guy, etc...

I just made a
face and he stomped off.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#24]
The way I see it is if you can walk around a store the size of Wal Mart, Best Buy or Cabelas then you can walk your 50 more feet to  or from your car........

ETA: It really pisses me off when the only reason they have a handicap sticker is because they are a lazy fat ass that has to park up front so they can get to the Twinkies faster
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't let it bother me since I park as far out in the lots away from all the lazy, door banging assholes as I can anyway.

This
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The way I see it is if you can walk around a store the size of Wal Mart, Best Buy or Cabelas then you can walk your 50 more feet to  or from your car........

No No No, they have an entire starting grid of fattiemobiles now so the lardbutts can wheel around the store.

It isn't the skinnier riders [I'd pretty much bet they have a health issue] I have a problem with, it's the 400 + pounds behemoths who immediately head toward the snack aisle and can't drive in the first place so everyone is scared to death they are going to be run over.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Use to be they wanted treated like everyone else.

Now they want to be treated special .

Go figure
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Go figure

Didn't you get the memo?

Everyone is special now.

Have bad allergies?  

Get a handicap sticker so you don't have to walk too far outdoors.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Go figure

I have no problem with people using handicapped parking placards if they are really truly disabled.

My mom has degenerative knee disease.

I have a friend that has cerebral palsy and uses crutches to get around.

If both these people drive, why deny them a placard and a space if they are truly disabled?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#30]
The problem is, she never knows when she is going to have an attack. When she does it becomes very
difficult for her to function and even get to her car.

Well, thank goodness you drive her around and don't let her take that 2.5 ton SUV through a bus stop after blacking out and losing control because of an attack.  Also, I am sure you do not use the handicap sticker when you are out alone.  Good show!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't judge a book by its cover.
If and when you need a 'crip sticker' and 'crip spot' to park, let us know so we can hunt you down and give you a 'shit-ton' of ARFCOM, post-whore crap!

Seriously, you never know what someone needs that special permission for, but you're the one that doesn't need it, so park somewhere you won't get door dings and thank your lucky stars.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody that misuses handicap parking lacks integrity and is a despicable human being.  You create problems for people that actually are in need of this parking.  Also, I can't stand the looks given when using one because there's no wheelchair involved.  As previously stated, there are many disabilities out there that don't involve the lack of legs.  

My wife has been legally handicap since college and 20 years later I'm still hesitant to use for her.  Nothing like getting a cruel note on the car window on dr's letterhead after she was diagnosed.

Did I mention I HATE people that abuse the system out of pure laziness?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go figure

Didn't you get the memo?  

Everyone is special now.

Have bad allergies?  

anybody that has a truely serious, painful disability would hand in their gimp parking tag to be better in less than a hearbeat.  you don't need to be judging everyone because of a few assholes that get a gimp tag to park close...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go figure

Didn't you get the memo?  

Everyone is special now.

Have bad allergies?  

anybody that has a truely serious, painful disability would hand in their gimp parking tag to be better in less than a hearbeat.  you don't need to be judging everyone because of a few assholes that get a gimp tag to park close...

Not judging everybody, just the few assholes that get a gimp tag to park close.

I will not go into what their usual choice of car or rims is either.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#35]
It really only bothers me when the people who DON'T have the tags assigned to them, use them anyway when the handicapped person isn't even in the vehicle.  Like the stripper at the school who would use it to pick up her kids, even though the tag was assigned to her husband.  (The man who has no problem walking the 4 blocks to and from the school, btw....)  Those are the people who abuse the system.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#36]
We have that "Not all disability are visible" crap as well here.

My law school has 1/6 of the available parking for the disabled. In my entire time there, I've never seen a person with an actual visible disability use it.

I have seen gansta-style SUVs parked across two disabled places, though (with a permit).
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Damn, some of these posts are crazy.

If you are on so many drugs so you can function, to old to see over the hood, you don't need to be on the road anyway.

If someone is driving you, that's another story.

I feel the same way about handicap parking, it's there for a reason, but good grief.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Some states have some lax processes in qualifying for permits. Others, like NY, have a poorly designed permit that is easy to alter or forge. There is a brisk trade in such items. I can't even verify who the tag is issued to under the way NY does business, unless I can identify which town hall issued the permit, and that line is often conveniently blank.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#39]

You never know. My sister was charged to take care of my dad, run him around town etc. Sometimes she'd have to go get him pain meds or whatever at the store. So she actually would "bounce" out of the car to pick them up while my dad was in the passenger seat. A couple times some clowns would make snide comments to her because the windows in her car were tinted and they couldn't see dad.

She would make some remark right back like "My dad is waiting in the car". Some wouldn't buy it and they'd roll their eyes etc. Nothing you can do about self righteous jerks I guess.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#40]
My favorite is the handicapped parking spots at the airline's training center that I used to work for. Typically speaking airline pilots aren't handicapped to the point of needing a special parking place when they come in for their simulator check. Our "gubment " is really special.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You never know. My sister was charged to take care of my dad, run him around town etc. Sometimes she'd have to go get him pain meds or whatever at the store. So she actually would "bounce" out of the car to pick them up while my dad was in the passenger seat. A couple times some clowns would make snide comments to her because the windows in her car were tinted and they couldn't see dad.

She would make some remark right back like "My dad is waiting in the car". Some wouldn't buy it and they'd roll their eyes etc. Nothing you can do about self righteous jerks I guess.
Why does she need to park in handicap if Dad is sitting in the car?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh it's just one of the little perks the disabled gets to make life a little easier for them. He also got to die in the VA Hospital. Flying repeatably across the English Channel got him that benefit also. You can rest assured, he won't be screwing up the handicap parking places any more.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh it's just one of the little perks the disabled gets to make life a little easier for them. He also got to die in the VA Hospital. Flying repeatably across the English Channel got him that benefit also. You can rest assured, he won't be screwing up the handicap parking places any more.

Yeah, my Dad and many others here Dad fought in WWII too.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, my Dad and many others here Dad fought in WWII too.  

Yeah I posted in that thread that was here a while back.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

At least here in Illinois, the law is for persons either driving that are handicapped or transporting those that are.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
another parking lot doctor....

thanks for judging a book by the cover.  been disabled for about a decade now and i am 36, started w/ upper back/neck neurological issues that quickly went south, then moved to mid back.  my low back was good until a spinal tumor - i was told to be happy if i could walk again due to location and tumor size but it needed to come out as it may be malignant and i was starting to have problems walking anyway.  if the tumor came out malignant i would be started on chemo/radiation after surgery when the test came back a day or so later.  tumor turned out to be benign so i was out of neuro icu in just a day and a half, onto the normal neuro floor for another 4 days or so

i can walk, but w/ the upper back/neck issues, twisting of the spine from uncontrollable muscle spasms that get somewhat controlled by deep botox injections and then the nerve damage/back & leg issues from the tumor removal and multiple disc/vertabrae issues, when i go out, i will use the permit if i need it but always think that there is somebody out there that needs it more than i so i may skip using the gimp spot based on the parking lot.  some days i don't look too bad walking and my conditions may not be that obvious to you parking lot docs, but others i am twisted and my shoulders may 4-6" off or my head stuck in a "locked" position, or sometimes i can't rotate my head at all so i have my wife drive me somewhere.

so maybe a little fucking empathy as you don't know what is going on in people's lives.  when i have had broken bones people think it is so bad, but it is a walk in the park from my "normal" life and the main issues that ail me.  sadly people only understand what they can see.  quit being ignorant.

I have some pretty serious chronic pain.  Most days I can take my meds and be fine.  Lately, however, there are more days when my painkillers won't even begin to touch the pain.  Trouble is, I can't predict when it will flare up to a 10/10.  It's days like that when I could really use a handicap tag to shorten my walk as I'm leaving work because I can't stand up at my job anymore.  The quicker I get in the car, the faster I get home and in bed, where I belong on days like that.

Not all disabilities are outwardly visible.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Most stores have 10x as many handicap spaces than what is needed. 90% of the spaces are usually empty. Someone might as well use em.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#48]
My son's Medicaid Service Coordinator offer to get us one. I told her no, my son has autism, he isn't handicapped!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#49]
An ex roommate in college was dating a girl that had surgery and got a handicap parking permit.  He "borrowed" it from her and never gave it back.  When she asked him for it, he lied and said he lost it.  What an asshole.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh it's just one of the little perks the disabled gets to make life a little easier for them.

Actually, it looks like a perk your sister got.

Many (most?) states have a requirement that the handicapped person must leave the vehicle, in order to preclude just this type of behavior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top