Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:18:01 PM EDT
For calling people a dumbass for believing that you can curve a bullet....

Seriously, how do these people function?

The Mythbusters tested the curving bullet myth from the movie Wanted and there are actually people that believe that it can be done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
it was in a movie, it must be true.
ETA: IBTPHTTYC (In Before The People Here That Think You Can)
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
So I'm guessing personal insults don't fly with their COC, eh?  Kind of like some other forum I know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I'm guessing personal insults don't fly with their COC, eh?  Kind of like some other forum I know.

Some people are so stupid that they actually warp the COC when they post.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
WHY do you think they try half the stupid shit they try? Their audience is the typical retard scientist. They KNOW.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Just remember that they also vote.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just remember that they also vote.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're gonna get banned from there, do it right................

Threaten to SIIHPAPP with Kari

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The Mythbusters tested the curving bullet myth from the movie Wanted and there are actually people that believe that it can be done.

At the beginning of that show, they should have done the five minutes of middle school math required to see the idea is caveman stupid.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC the Germans had a device for curving bullets.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The barrel was curved, the bullets still went relatively straight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]
They all curve.  It is called gravity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah! Just like some people still think a plane on a conveyor belt will take off!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

No, he's right. They experimented with an MP44 with a bent barrel to curve bullets around corners. I think the Russians did something similar as well.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

No, he's right. They experimented with an MP44 with a bent barrel to curve bullets around corners. I think the Russians did something similar as well.

This has zero to do with the topic at hand.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line but you'll find someone whos wants to curve it I guess.

The Nazis had a curved barrel that would allow them to shoot around corners, the pipe had a limited life and a port to release some of the gas but in the end the best way to shoot your target is to start by seeing it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

This has zero to do with the topic at hand.

Still neat to look at

http://image12.webshots.com/12/3/66/77/158736677bWHDQR_fs.jpg
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Really, it's all in the wrist.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

He recalled correctly.

There was a gun that had its barrel bent at about 90 degrees.  It didn't last long of course, but the gun did indeed shoot around corners.  The bullets always flew straight after leaving the barrel, dropping obviously for gravity, but it did work.  Then the barrel went *boom*
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

BUgs bunny did it too. What's your point?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

That is NOT curving a bullet. That is a curved barrel. The bullet still goes straight once it leaves the barrel.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#23]

WHAT NOW BITCHES!?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

He recalled correctly.

There was a gun that had its barrel bent at about 90 degrees.  It didn't last long of course, but the gun did indeed shoot around corners.  The bullets always flew straight after leaving the barrel, dropping obviously for gravity, but it did work.  Then the barrel went *boom*

So the Germans did not, in fact, have a device for curving bullets.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I've long ago given up on arguing with the terminally stupid. It's a much more effective strategy to encourage them-increases the chances they'll select themselves out of the gene pool in a spectacular fashion...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

That is NOT curving a bullet. That is a curved barrel. The bullet still goes straight once it leaves the barrel.

Can yall see the fucking winks or are your computers broken?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

He recalled correctly.

Yes, I KNOW. I've watched the Hitler channel before. The bullets aren't curving.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#28]
years ago I used to frequent those boards regularly
think i was even registered to post

the level of stupid was crazy high, and that was before the show was as popular as it is now
it's probably 1000% worse now
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

Can yall see the fucking winks or are your computers broken?

I thought you were using them to give a "I know something you don't"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably are the same folks who thought that an airplane couldn't take off on a conveyor belt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I thought you were using them to give a "I know something you don't"

Yeah, I knew what the hell Chromekilla was talking about that obviously went over a lot of people's heads.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
years ago I used to frequent those boards regularly
think i was even registered to post

the level of stupid was crazy high, and that was before the show was as popular as it is now
it's probably 1000% worse now

Some of the level of myths are down right stupid now that it's pretty much all fan based. Like last weeks sonic boom one. The idea that a sonic boom can break a window isn't far fetched (The Thunderbirds flying faster than the speed of sound at 200 feet was pretty damn cool) But then they go on to say, some of the fans thought, any sonic boom will break any type of glass. That's when I go .

I knew they were going to go into firing a bullet next to glass and I already knew the results. That kind of crap makes it boring to watch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The barrel was curved, the bullets still went relatively straight.

He speaks the truth.

Kraumlauf... Curved leaf.

They burned out quickly, but could provide 12" groups and under at 100 yards.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall wrongly.

He recalled correctly.

Yes, I KNOW. I've watched the Hitler channel before. The bullets aren't curving.

Sure they are.  If I have a bent barrel and I shoot around a wall, the bullet has curved in the course of traveling down that barrel.  It comes out going straight but it didn't not go straight from the chamber (as that would drive the bullet out the barrel in a straight line) ergo it curved.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

BTW, you are incorrect in your first post of that thread. Everything he originally posted is correct. The spin wouldn't be as much as in the movie, but it would be present. I suggest you educate yourself on the Magnus effect.
I suggest looking at the many videos of golf balls being used
as projectiles at YouTube. Also I have a golf ball launcher for my AR15
and it will send them 200 - 300 yards downrange and I've yet to see one
curve because there are no forces acting upon it to make it curve.
That's because it isn't spinning enough out of your launcher.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#36]
A curve is, by definition, an acceleration (unless we're talking about a curved line on a paper.  I'm talking about an object traveling in a curved path).  For acceleration to occur, there must be a CONSTANT force acting on the object.  Adding ANY kind of force to the object at a single point in time can NEVER and will NEVER cause a curve - only an alteration to its straight-line path.  It MUST be a constant, steady force for there to be a curve.  When you flick your wrist when you fire a handgun, you're adding a force at one single moment in the bullet's travel.  That CANNOT, by the laws of physics, cause a curve.

Just give it to 'em scientifically and straight.  If they don't get it, f'em.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I think the really important question is: why hasn't some numbskull shot his buddy trying to imitate that movie?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

BTW, you are incorrect in your first post of that thread. Everything he originally posted is correct. The spin wouldn't be as much as in the movie, but it would be present. I suggest you educate yourself on the Magnus effect.

Looks like bullets only curve up or down...

In external ballistics
The Magnus effect can also be found in advanced external ballistics. Firstly, a spinning bullet in flight is often subject to a crosswind, which can be simplified as blowing either from the left or the right. In addition to this, even in completely calm air a bullet experiences a small sideways wind component due to its yawing motion. This yawing motion along the bullet's flight path means that the nose of the bullet is pointing in a slightly different direction from the direction in which the bullet is traveling. In other words, the bullet is "skidding" sideways at any given moment, and thus it experiences a small sideways wind component in addition to any crosswind component. (yaw of repose)

The combined sideways wind component of these two effects causes a Magnus force to act on the bullet, which is perpendicular both to the direction the bullet is pointing and the combined sideways wind. In a very simple case where we ignore various complicating factors, the Magnus force from the crosswind would cause an upward or downward force to act on the spinning bullet (depending on the left or right wind and rotation), causing an observable deflection in the bullet's flight path up or down, thus changing the point of impact.

Overall, the effect of the Magnus force on a bullet's flight path itself is usually insignificant compared to other forces such as aerodynamic drag. However, it greatly affects the bullet's stability, which in turn effects the amount of drag, how the bullet behaves upon impact, and many other factors. The stability of the bullet is impacted because the Magnus effect acts on the bullet's center of pressure instead of its center of gravity. This means that it affects the yaw angle of the bullet: it tends to twist the bullet along its flight path, either towards the axis of flight (decreasing the yaw thus stabilizing the bullet) or away from the axis of flight (increasing the yaw thus destabilizing the bullet). The critical factor is the location of the center of pressure, which depends on the flowfield structure, which in turn depends mainly on the bullet's speed (supersonic or subsonic), but also the shape, air density and surface features. If the center of pressure is ahead of the center of gravity, the effect is destabilizing, if the center of pressure is behind the center of gravity, the effect is stabilizing.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

A curve is, by definition, an acceleration (unless we're talking about a curved line on a paper.  I'm talking about an object traveling in a curved path).  For acceleration to occur, there must be a CONSTANT force acting on the object.  Adding ANY kind of force to the object at a single point in time can NEVER and will NEVER cause a curve - only an alteration to its straight-line path.  It MUST be a constant, steady force for there to be a curve.  When you flick your wrist when you fire a handgun, you're adding a force at one single moment in the bullet's travel.  That CANNOT, by the laws of physics, cause a curve.

Just give it to 'em scientifically and straight.  If they don't get it, f'em.

The thread he's referring to changes the bullet design and spin to mimic a curveball thrown in baseball. The only differences between what is proposed and a curveball is the speed of the object and its density.

I was slightly disappointed to see that the team didn't try this in
order to replicate the myth, BUT, it is possible to curve a bullet, and
here's how:

Start with a smooth bore barrel, and machine a grove
in one side (left or right). Fire a lubricated ROUND (as in spherical,
not a 'round' as in a single cartridge) bullet (the shape is
important!) out of this barrel.

The bullet will curve because
the imbalance of pressure on one side of the bullet due to the grove in
the barrel will impart SIDE SPIN into the bullet, and the Magnus effect
will cause it to curve to the left or right, just like slice on a golf
ball or tennis ball, or a curveball like in baseball.

I'm sure
someone has already mentioned airsoft and how backspin is used to
flatten out the trajectory of the ball... in that case it's done with a
rubber strip on the top of the barrel, but if you fire the gun sideways
the bullet will curve (which is why you have to fire an airsoft gun
level if you want to hit anything).

Of course, you're probably
going to have to take into account that a since bullets are very small
and very heavy, and because using a grove isn't a very efficient way of
imparting spin, that it will take much longer than depicted in the
movie for the bullet to curve...and probably even further than a golf
ball takes to curve.

The good news is that you can track a
supersonic bullet (so keep velocity in mind) pretty easily due to the
shock wave being visible through a rifle scope (this is how snipers
keep track of their bullets).

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like bullets only curve up or down...

In external ballistics

The Magnus effect can also be found in advanced external ballistics. Firstly, a spinning bullet in flight is often subject to a crosswind, which can be simplified as blowing either from the left or the right. In addition to this, even in completely calm air a bullet experiences a small sideways wind component due to its yawing motion. This yawing motion along the bullet's flight path means that the nose of the bullet is pointing in a slightly different direction from the direction in which the bullet is traveling. In other words, the bullet is "skidding" sideways at any given moment, and thus it experiences a small sideways wind component in addition to any crosswind component. (yaw of repose)

The combined sideways wind component of these two effects causes a Magnus force to act on the bullet, which is perpendicular both to the direction the bullet is pointing and the combined sideways wind. In a very simple case where we ignore various complicating factors, the Magnus force from the crosswind would cause an upward or downward force to act on the spinning bullet (depending on the left or right wind and rotation), causing an observable deflection in the bullet's flight path up or down, thus changing the point of impact.

Overall, the effect of the Magnus force on a bullet's flight path itself is usually insignificant compared to other forces such as aerodynamic drag. However, it greatly affects the bullet's stability, which in turn effects the amount of drag, how the bullet behaves upon impact, and many other factors. The stability of the bullet is impacted because the Magnus effect acts on the bullet's center of pressure instead of its center of gravity. This means that it affects the yaw angle of the bullet: it tends to twist the bullet along its flight path, either towards the axis of flight (decreasing the yaw thus stabilizing the bullet) or away from the axis of flight (increasing the yaw thus destabilizing the bullet). The critical factor is the location of the center of pressure, which depends on the flowfield structure, which in turn depends mainly on the bullet's speed (supersonic or subsonic), but also the shape, air density and surface features. If the center of pressure is ahead of the center of gravity, the effect is destabilizing, if the center of pressure is behind the center of gravity, the effect is stabilizing.

That is talking about a traditional bullet. READ IT FIRST. The post in question is talking about a spherical bullet with side spin.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#42]
i remember one of their first episodes when they tested metal in a microwave. the dumb fucks used a microwave with a rotating glass dish, which greatly reduces the chance of the microwave exploding.

in most cases an older style microwave with metal in it will definitely cause serious damage. i have seen it more than once. first time was with a fork put directly on the floor of the microwave, second time was a hotdog pack with a wrap around label that was made of some kind of metal.
both practically exploded.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Calling people names is your tactic to convey your points?

Sometimes.  It depends on the point I want to convey.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#44]
If you used a round ball, like from a musket, and were able to impart enough spin on it, could you get the bullet to follow a path similar to a pitcher in baseball throwing a curveball?  You'd never be able to shoot straight with it, but would it not technically curve the bullet?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#45]

They tested the myth because a number of people thought you could really do it.  I had a few people here at USF that really thought you could curve a bullet like that.  

I look at them like
and asked them how did they get into here?  

You'd be very surprise... people really do believe what they see in the movies could really happen.  

I'm surrounded by idiots.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#46]
You idiots don't know shit.

Back when I was a Space Shuttle Door Gunner, we would use the Sun's gravity to curve bullets and take out targets that we couldn't even see.  It was tricky.  Too close and the bullet gets sucked in by gravity, too far away and it goes flying off into space.  Only SSDGs who were chief petty warrant sergeants and above, like myself, were allowed to do it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Back when I was a Space Shuttle Door Gunner, we would use the Sun's gravity to cure bullets and take out targets that we couldn't even see.  It was tricky.  Too close and the bullet gets sucked in by gravity, too far away and it goes flying off into space.  Only SSDGs who were chief petty warrant sergeants and above, like myself, were allowed to do it.

You win.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Back when I was a Space Shuttle Door Gunner, we would use the Sun's gravity to cure bullets and take out targets that we couldn't even see.  It was tricky.  Too close and the bullet gets sucked in by gravity, too far away and it goes flying off into space.  Only SSDGs who were chief petty warrant sergeants and above, like myself, were allowed to do it.

What was wrong with them, were they sick?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#49]
One word : Magnet
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Are you guys out of your mind?  Of course bullets can curve.  Imaginge a B-17 firing from its side gun at 90 degrees and moving at 250 mph.  You'll see three forces acting on the bullet.  The explosion in the shell, moving it 90 degrees to the plane, the motion of the plane, moving it forward (in the same direction as the plane), and third, gravity, pulling it down.  Well if that bullet isnt curving, I dont know what is.

In that movie, they were "whipping" bullets around corners.  Now that, can not be done.  Were they trying to whip bullets around a corner?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top