Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 12:27:27 PM EDT
I took some Allergy medication that had pseudoephedrine in it at 8:30 this morning. I felt real tired all the sudden at my PC and fell back asleep about 30min. after I took the pill. I woke back up at 12:30. Anyone else have this happen when taking the recommended dose of pseudoephedrine?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I took some Allergy medication that had pseudoephedrine in it at 8:30 this morning. I felt real tired all the sudden at my PC and fell back asleep about 30min. I woke back up at 12:30. Anyone else have this happen when taking the recommended dose of pseudoephedrine?

Did the guy at work put flowers in your hair while you were sleeping?

When I was a kid I took benadryl that my mom gave me for allergies. "Wow, mommy, look at all the colors?" "time to go to bed sweetie"

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I took some Allergy medication that had pseudoephedrine in it at 8:30 this morning. I felt real tired all the sudden at my PC and fell back asleep about 30min. I woke back up at 12:30. Anyone else have this happen when taking the recommended dose of pseudoephedrine?

Pseudoephedrine keeps me awake, and limp.

Good thing it clears my sinuses, or I'd have no use for it at all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was a kid I took benadryl that my mom gave me for allergies. "Wow, mommy, look at all the colors?" "time to go to bed sweetie"

Benadryl is dyphenhydramine, not pseudoephedrine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What exactly did you take?

And yes, I was given Deconamine (Generic Name: Chlorpheniramine/Pseudoephedrine Tablets (klor-fen-IHR-ah-meen/sue-do-eh-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Deconamine and Sudafed Plus) for sinuses while on deployment.  After my sinuses were cleared up, I had a ton of them left and would use them to knock me out so I could sleep.  They would knock me out in nothing quick.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the antihistamine that made him tired.  Not the pseudo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

O.....k....?  I was merely asking him what he took, as in what medication.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]

12 hour formula?  They do that to me too.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Diphenhydramine HCI 25mg

Said to take 1 every 4-6 hours.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is right. The pseudoephedrine is supposed to keep you awake.  
Try something like Zyrtec which is may cause less drowsyness.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Diphenhydramine HCI 25mg

Yep, that's Benadryl.  It'll knock you out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The meds. made we feel 'twitchy' and tired at the smae time. Hard to sleep at first and my mind was racing. Felt like I was kinda shaking too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Diphenhydramine HCI 25mg

Heh, welcome to Benadryl and sleep aid products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol_PM

I use Diphen to help make me fall asleep sometimes, either with generic Unisom or Benadryl.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Benadryl is dyphenhydramine, not pseudoephedrine.

Yeah I know, it's for allergies though. A lot of times they put the two together in the same capsule. Could of reacted to the benadryl, I dunno.

ETA: Whoops, looks like I nailed that one

Diphenhydramine is the Generic Name for Benadryl
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The meds. made we feel 'twitchy' and tired at the smae time. Hard to sleep and my mind was racing. Felt like I was kinda shaking too.

Hm, I've never had that happen.  With Diphen or even Doxylamine, they just put me in a state of feeling like I'm rubber and relaxed......almost like I'm drunk but coherent.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The Tylenol ALlergy/Sinus knocks me out.

The first time I had taken them I was about 20 foot in the air on a ladder. Good times!

Non-Drowsy 4 hour formula.

ETA: Did any of you also notice slurred or suppressed speech? My boss at the time thought I was drunk when I called out for the remainder of the day.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
You know what they say - It's sleep season. What ever happened to Drixoral?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally don't feel tired anymore. That stuff last along time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Benadryl fucked me up bad one time got real tired and felt really loopy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Diphenhydramine HCI 25mg

thats funny, how exactly am I supposed to take this every 4-6 hours when the shit knocks me out for 8-10 hours?!?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm as high as a Chinese kite on Sudafed...the stuff is like speed to me....

I stick to Tylenol allergy sinus - works great.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
At least I know not to take this crap before I have to drive. That would have had a bad ending. I was sitting at my PC desk and it hit me like a wall.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, stuff knocks me out, but I can't breathe without it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Heh-I was fully alert and functional on 225mcg/hr of fentanyl. 2 benadryl on the other hand knock me right the fuck out. Even more effective at putting me down than morphine was..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top