Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/17/2009 9:52:12 AM EDT
The worst job I ever had was working at an OLD Dairy Queen when I was in High School. The place was the dirtiest restaurant I have ever been in, and the staff was mostly a bunch of dumbasses who graduated high school and decided to stay in our crappy town, smoke weed all day, and 'work on their music'.

When you ordered a milk shake, we had to go back to the freezer, and ladle out milk shake base with a wooden spoon from an old mop bocket covered in foil. I'm not kidding.

My hours were Friday 4-midnight, Saturday 4-midnight, and Sunday 2-10.

Needless to say, I did not work there long.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I delivered and set up pool tables for awhile.  The work wasn't too bad but the guy I worked with was nuts.  The day I quit he was throw c-clamps at me out of the bed of his pick up.

That was bad but the worst job was working for TSA
  It really sucks being embarrassed to tell people where you work.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
a caddy at a local country club when I was 13, you couldn't get in early if you didn't have connections so I'd sit around most days
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
tie: cutter at a Fish market (got me through college) and my first job in the graphics industry at a small kwikee print type place. The owner was gay and I looked like a younger, non-gay version of his boyfriend.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
tie: cutter at a Fish market (got me through college) and my first job in the graphics industry at a small kwikee print type place. The owner was gay and I looked like a younger, non-gay version of his boyfriend.

LOL!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Never taken a job I didn't know I'd like.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I still got it. I just went back to work at my old job but I still work on weekends at a temporary job as a packer. It sucks ass, 12-hour days 3 twenty minute breaks. You work your ass off packing boxes with plastic bottles as fast as you can. I cannot believe some people do that for a lifetime.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Laying Sod, but the hardest work I've ever done was in the Army...one being 3 days straight at a rail yard in Bosnia w/full battle rattle M249 Saw/Ammo in 117 degree heat. We had to load a whole Task Force worth of vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I did temp work one summer when I was in school.  Took a job at a hospital.  In the surgical cleaning area.  Large stainless steel cabinets on rollers came in, full of used medical instruments and ... wastes ... from the surgeries.  Everything had to be taken out to be cleaned and sterilized - and the ... wastes ... disposed of.  Then the carts went off to a small car-wash type machine for sterilization.

Worse job by far, but I did learn a bit about anatomy and medical instruments.  In the end, the money was not worth it.  The smell... anyway, there you have it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
From my father, since I haven't had any bad jobs worth mentioning:

Shoveling the shit out of dairy cow stalls.

Cleaning out an old chicken coop that had not been use din about 10 years. The straw, crap, and unbroken rotting eggs from decades past were piled more than a foot deep inside.

Cleaning out a septic tank that was 15 years old with a bucket.
My uncle bought an old house several years ago, after an old woman had moved out to live with one of her children. He bought it for the price of the lot, minus a little, because they said he would need to have the house torn down.

He decided to just clean it up... remodel it, and rent it. It is actually a rather nice, although small, home now.

She had cats.... lots of cats. She had had lots of cats for years...

They would crap in a corner. And when it had been crapped in sufficiently, she would toss a piece of newspaper on top, and they would begin crapping again. If a cat ever died, she just tossed the cat onto the pile, put on a piece of newspaper, and the other cats proceeded to shit more.

It was more than 2 feet deep.... And he shoveled it out. It was full of feces, dead cats... He said it had been there for years... You could tell by the dates on the newspapers.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The owner was gay and I looked like a younger............boyfriend.

ummmmm........hmmmmmm................... I see.......

5sub
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Toys R Us........ Christmas Holiday

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Working for a Roofer, striping off old wood shake shingles from houses.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Mop boy at an adult book store on 42nd Street in Manhattan, early 80s.

j/k, but I think that would take the cake
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Movie theater usher, wasn't to bad, but i hated having the cheap garbage bags busting and spilling their contents on me.  

Popcorn+Soda+ a few hours =

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Comcast tech support. I had no idea people were such idiots.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Movie theater usher, wasn't to bad, but i hated having the cheap garbage bags busting and spilling their contents on me.

Popcorn+Soda+ a few hours =

I pushed a concession cart (commission at about $12/qweek) when 12 at a drive-in theater. HOWEVER, I did learn, at 13, how to run the projectors and THAT job paid $30/week !!
5sub

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#17]
A loader / unloader at UPS.

The level of suck was greatly enhanced by the fact I am from southern Louisiana, and I started this job in July.

Also the fact that my coworkers were wannabe gang-bangers and no smarter than the loading equipment.

I lasted two weeks.

I went from 8 years in the Army with my own troops to that lousy job.  The only reason I took it was to kill time until the next semester started...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#18]
One summer, during high school, I worked a few weeks picking watermelons out of a sunny north Florida field.

After 20+ years since that summer, I still can't eat a watermelon...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#19]
trolling ARFCOM.

I have to pay my own way
hours are long
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Shoe department "associate" at a Bradlees department store as soon as I turned 16.  Only a month until my record store job came through.  I didn't even quit, I just stopped going.  The union hassled me for 6 months trying to get me to pay their dues.  Never did.  They wanted more than I had made.   I saw a lady beat the shit out her kid with a shoe.  I told her to stop.  She told me to mind Y'own bidniss.  I said I don't care what you do, but don't use our shoes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

One summer, during high school, I worked a few weeks picking watermelons out of a sunny north Florida field.

After 20+ years since that summer, I still can't eat a watermelon...

Try cotton.
5sub

Though I hear tobacco is even worse.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Loader at a lumber yard in Austin Texas.
I wasn't out of the Army six months yet and the yard boss was an overbearing 19 year old kid who thought he personally owned the joint.
I made it two days and just never went back.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Installing insulation.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#24]
My neighbor picked cotton with *insert random racial slur here*.
He was a helicopter mechanic during Nam....

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The owner was gay and I looked like a younger............boyfriend.

ummmmm........hmmmmmm................... I see.......

5sub

Imagine MY surprise when I saw him walking up to the door one day, same kind of shorts I wore, same denim jacket, same sunglasses... I never wore shorts at that job again.

Ask people who have seen me. I look totally not gay.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Spent a summer in Oklahoma on a landscaping crew
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Comcast tech support. I had no idea people were such idiots.

Comcast's shoddy service tends to send people into a blind rage, so you can't be too harsh...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a job that involved changing adult diapers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#30]
on a more serious note...

My first job as an A&P was working over haul on 727/737's.

I had to pull pit panels and insulation, clean corrosion, make repairs and apply corrosion inhibitor then put it all back together again.

talk about a dirty job...  but not as bad as replacing the toilets/tanks/pumps/filters on the shitter systems
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#31]

You Win!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I swept the docks at a large port in So.Texas in 95degrees 95% humidity 10 hours a day......it motivated me though.  I realized that I needed to stay in school.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Dock hand.  Loading tractor trailers at a warehouse in the mid 80's.  Arkansas summers (100+ degrees, very humid = SUCKS).  I didn't mind the physical labor, but the pot heads I worked with were a strong motivator for me to stay in and finish college.  Those same guys are probably still doing the same work, getting paid each Friday, heading to their dealer to buy their weekend weed and alchohol, then MAYBE pay their bills if any money was left over.   No thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#34]
So far... all of em!  Fuckers always make me come in to the office for 8 hours then expect me to actually work!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't recall it being all that bad.  Putting hay up in black barns in summer was worse.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Corrections Officer.

Doing time in twelve hour shifts.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Worked at Wal Mart for all of two days. The management had no idea what anyone else was doing and I was fed bullshit from the start. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall it being all that bad.  Putting hay up in black barns in summer was worse.

Ugh, I spent 2 years working on a dairy farm.  The shitty prickery hay we had really tore the fuck out of your arms and hands.  I used to have blood running down my forearms and infections from all the shit stuck into my arms.  Made a man out of me though, so I didn't complain.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#39]
A small animal pharmaceutical plant.
no A/C, no air filtration (except what you provided).
placing and removing product from oven rooms (150 to 180 degree ovens, in the summer)
making 1000 gal batches of tincture of iodine in 100+ degree heat in a room with one small
window for ventilation and then pouring the entire 1000 gal batch into 1/2 pint bottles.
making 4000 gallons of ringers lactate solution an having to pour all that into mostly 500ml bottles
and if you were lucky, some 1000ml bottles. making batches of noxious injection
products working with a leaky steam kettle with the high pressure boiler right next to you
on 100+ degree days with 90% or higher humidity. Running the autoclave in the same conditions
and making wormer powder to put in the bolus machines. The wormer would turn everything you touched
pink or red.
the job sucked but back then, the pay was good and if things were good, you would get a $1000 to $2000
bonus at the end off the year.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Remove, rebuild and reinstall an 800 hp, 28' vertical pump out of a digestor tank in a wastewater treatment plant.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A small animal pharmaceutical plant.
no A/C, no air filtration (except what you provided).
placing and removing product from oven rooms (150 to 180 degree ovens, in the summer)
making 1000 gal batches of tincture of iodine in 100+ degree heat in a room with one small
window for ventilation and then pouring the entire 1000 gal batch into 1/2 pint bottles.
making 4000 gallons of ringers lactate solution an having to pour all that into mostly 500ml bottles
and if you were lucky, some 1000ml bottles. making batches of noxious injection
products working with a leaky steam kettle with the high pressure boiler right next to you
on 100+ degree days with 90% or higher humidity. Running the autoclave in the same conditions
and making wormer powder to put in the bolus machines. The wormer would turn everything you touched
pink or red.
the job sucked but back then, the pay was good and if things were good, you would get a $1000 to $2000
bonus at the end off the year.

Did they make anabolic steroids?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I spent the month of June, 2001 busting my ass loading and unloading thousands and thousands of tons of fireworks from trucks to storage containers for $7 an hour.  Fresh out of high school and had no idea what I had signed myself up for.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Working a construction supply warehouse. The job wasn't that bad, lots of hard work but I was young and in good shape. The co-workers were a bunch of ex-cons or soon to be ex-cons. I left after the management was worried about hiring a guy with a different gang affiliation then a current worker, turns out they were old friends and didn't have to knife anyone.

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a job working for an addiction counseler.  If I wasn't crazy then, I am now.  She was the worst.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Cutting and hanging tobacco for 3.50 an hour.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#46]
a factory that made hydrated lime and aluminum briquettes for use as slag conditioners at foundries...wherever the lime dust would touch moisture on your body it would begin to burn...eyes, nose, everywhere...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Elephant circumciser at Barnum & Baily Ringling Bros. The pay was really bad, but the tips were huge.  

2nd was nightshift at a large printer in Sydney. Sorting out mis-printed newspapers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#48]
ATF internet data miner.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Landscaping.  Lasted about three months.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#50]
The worst:

Picking strawberries
Bucking bales  
Running constantly malfunctioning bottling machines at a vitamin factory

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top