Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 9:00:51 AM EDT
If gold is such a sure winner, why are more companies offering it than ever before? If I believed gold was a winner, I would be hoarding it, not selling it. Or even better, offering to buy it.

And doesn't it always seem once the general public gets involved into a commodity, it is set for a fall.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a coin dealer, and the premiums over spot are high right now.  You can sell a 1 ounce Gold American Eagle for $50 over spot.  The premium used to be about $20.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
There are so many gold commercials right now for the same reason that there were so many no-money down real estate buying commercials two years ago, and so many make your fortune on the internet commercials in the late 90's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
If they didn't think they could make money off of you, they wouldn't pay money to advertise to you.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Because they can make a bunch of money off of you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I just saw a piece on Cash4gold.com this morning.  A gold ring that several legitamate buyers offered $50 for,  got $8.95 from Cash4gold.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The new commodity they are pitching lately are SHTF seeds. Thats right, they are selling seeds, supposedly they will be worth more than gold! So you can grow your own "disaster garden". what annoys me is I noticed these ads only come up on right wing radio or new articles on the net. Do they think we are all tinfoil hat sky is falling whacko's?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#7]
b/c they're going to buy gold off people that don't know how much it's worth and rip them off...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't overlook a big reason for the increased marketing efforts.  The .gov regulators haven't (yet) stomped on that niche' of the investing game.

Remember those same companies were buying "cheap" gold ten years ago at very low prices.  Now it's time to sell, at these high prices.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just saw a piece on Cash4gold.com this morning.  A gold ring that several legitamate buyers offered $50 for,  got $8.95 from Cash4gold.

The idiots that trust companies like this amaze me.  

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/cash4gold-c117648.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am a coin dealer, and the premiums over spot are high right now.  You can sell a 1 ounce Gold American Eagle for $50 over spot.  The premium used to be about $20.

So the gold sellers are making their money on the margins rather than speculating on gold?
And the premiums will only increase if you whip consumers into a frenzy with ads?
Could work, but TV/Radio advertizing is expensive especially when you hire people like Glenn Beck & Rush Limbaugh.

I wonder how much small gold merchants benefit from the big ad campaigns since gold isn't really branded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top