Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 6:44:14 AM EDT
This thread isn't about spelling Nazis. Hell I misspell words all the time. It's more about professionalism and even a little about stereotypes. Driving in Harrisburg, Pa. yesterday and come across this store that has a big white banner out front which says "We open". First, I would be getting reimbursed from whoever made this banner. Second, this section of Harrisburg has a high percentage of blacks. Just by sheer percentage, I'm sure it is a black owned business. Why would someone have a banner in front of their store that would further advance a black stereotype I'll never know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a sign in Memphis that hits both grammar and spelling....

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

http://www.pbase.com/terry_56/image/110921041.jpg

Damn, can't see most images at work.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, can't see most images at work.

Damn it I was going to post that!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you mean "the proper use of grammar".

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think you mean "the proper use of grammar".

+1

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a dying concept.  Do yourself a favor and don't get worked up over it.  A small percentage of people will retain proper English, and hopefully pass it forward into whatever world we are entering.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Publik skool strikes again
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#9]

I took this pic at Walmart.  One would think that if you were illiterate, you wouldn't be able to read the sign.  Duh...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]
it isn't just minorities...the "no illegal left behind" program combined with cell phone diplomas is bringing a new standard to grammar in all walks of life...

it's part of the redistribution of stupidity...we all eekwull
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I took this pic at Walmart.  One would think that if you were illiterate, you wouldn't be able to read the sign.  Duh...

The message is not aimed at the illiterate, but those who wish to help them.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Biggest blunder I see on a regular basis.....

People who always say "I" when proper grammar calls for "me."  

"The neighbor gave cupcakes to Sally and I."
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...snip...
[...] Driving in Harrisburg, Pa. yesterday and come across this store that has a big white banner out front which says "We open".

First, I would be getting reimbursed from whoever made this banner. (Sign makers generally will print exactly what you tell them to print.)

Second, this section of Harrisburg has a high percentage of blacks. Just by sheer percentage, I'm sure it is a black owned business. Why would someone have a banner in front of their store that would further advance a black stereotype I'll never know.

Speaking of stereotypes: "We open" is more Korean than "black."  A "black-authored" sign would read: "We be open" or "We illz open".  

Can a brah-tha git ah "no dats rite"!?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The message is not aimed at the illiterate, but those who wish to help them.

Actually, it is also aimed at the illiterate as well.  I've underlined the targeted audience... it says "If YOU or someone you know..."  

So if you are illiterate, how on earth are you going to read the sign?  

That's like having an interactive CD-R with instructions on how to build your first computer.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#16]
On a positive note the Food Lion where I shop changed their express lane sign to say "12 items or fewer."
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry Iz aint no good and inglish no moor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That sure puts the "homo" back in homonym.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I was filling out a form at a hospital in Memphis.  One question asked if the injury was the result of an automobile accident.  Next question said "if yes, was the police called?"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This thread isn't about spelling Nazis. Hell I misspell words all the time. It's more about professionalism and even a little about stereotypes. Driving in Harrisburg, Pa. yesterday and come across this store that has a big white banner out front which says "We open". First, I would be getting reimbursed from whoever made this banner. Second, this section of Harrisburg has a high percentage of blacks. Just by sheer percentage, I'm sure it is a black owned business. Why would someone have a banner in front of their store that would further advance a black stereotype I'll never know.

Your post has many grammatical errors.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your post has many grammatical errors.

Spellcheck can only do so much.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Funny/Image069.jpg

Plus, shouldn't it read, "If you or someone you know want  to improve......"  instead of "wants to improve?"  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Me so horny.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Meh.

There are dozens of signs printed up, hanging around my workplace with grievous spelling and grammar errors.  Not commonly confused ones, obvious ones.

I have taken a red Sharpie to them a few times and fixed said obvious errors.

Result?

They printed off new sheets, with the exact same errors on them.  Twice I have done this.  I might just do it again tonight.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#26]
This site is a veritable gold mine of bad grammar or spelling.

However, pointing out common mistakes of the majority white population gets you called a grammar Nazi, and people who start such threads are soundly ridiculed.

Seriously folks, "whom" is never the subject of a sentence.  Is that so hard?

You don't "loose" you mind, you lose it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw one that said "Firewood four sail "
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip...
[...] Driving in Harrisburg, Pa. yesterday and come across this store that has a big white banner out front which says "We open".

First, I would be getting reimbursed from whoever made this banner. (Sign makers generally will print exactly what you tell them to print.)

Second, this section of Harrisburg has a high percentage of blacks. Just by sheer percentage, I'm sure it is a black owned business. Why would someone have a banner in front of their store that would further advance a black stereotype I'll never know.

Speaking of stereotypes: "We open" is more Korean than "black."  

That's the very first thing that crossed my mind.  Can you guess where my wife is from and which ethnic community I spend alot of time in?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top