Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:36:20 AM EDT

I can't make a decision on these backups, which will be primary until I get the scratch for a good optic.

Please Help, I need to get the order in and the sight within a week!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I can't make a decision on these backups, which will be primary until I get the scratch for a good optic.

Just grab a Matech off the EE for $55-60.  Works great on my son's AR.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
larue and be done with it
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Matech

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

isn't the larue just a rebadged troy set?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
MagPul MBUS
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
LMT has a big knob that gets in the way of charging handle latch manipulation.

Troy screws walk out under recoil.

Get the LaRue
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Troy or Magpul for folders
Larue or maybe a DD for fixed
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

isn't the larue just a rebadged troy set?

My bad

LaRue Fixed, not the folder

Sorry for being unclear.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are going to use it as a primary sight, go with the Troy, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#10]
KAC 300m BUIS

OR, checkout the new MICRO 300m & MICRO 600m BUIS at Knights Armament.  Very cool and the smalled, lowest profile EVAR!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Troy.  Don't look back.  They fit under most mounts
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Troy, KAC or the ARMS Fortay L...stay away from the tupperware
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

KAC 300m BUIS

OR, checkout the new MICRO 300m & MICRO 600m BUIS at Knights Armament. Very cool and the smalled, lowest profile EVAR!

I could be wrong but those look like if you snagged them they would maybe get knocked out of alignment?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Troy front sight, ARMS #40 rear.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Troy, KAC or the ARMS Fortay L...stay away from the tupperware

+1 - MBUS is a piece of crap.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a GG&G A2 XS (same plane apertures) that seems to get the job done. No complaints.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#17]
My Stag upper came with a 40L. I like it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I have to say that I just got my magpul MBUS in the other day, and I am very impressed to say the least!

very robust sights, and for the price for the set, i dont think you can find a better built flip up. mine was $105 out the door from Cope's distr.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just grab a Matech off the EE for $55-60.  Works great on my son's AR.

+1

Matechs are very under rated and often overlooked.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I have an arms 40L its real small fits under the scope no problem, the magpul one looks nice also.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#21]
YHM is not expensive and works quite well for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Get the LaRue

I respectfully disagree.  My LMT BUIS works well - the knob is about the same size as on a carry handle.  Even without an extended latch, it hasn't been a problem for me.  I worked malfunction clearances extensively yesterday with the LMT-sighted AR (thanks to a nonfunctioning .22 kit), and it wasn't an issue.  That massive knob on Aimpoint's QRP mount, OTOH, was a much larger nuisance.

I have Troys on 2 other ARs, and put a dab of blue thread locker on the screw of each before installation.  There has been zero movement despite being banged into objects & subjected to recoil.  How would a Troy screw be any more likely than any other screw to walk under recoil?  Do they use some magic thread-unlocker compound at the factory?

For a primary with no optics in the near future, I'd favor a fixed BUIS - either the LaRue or the LMT.  The Troy locks into place very positively, though, and would also work well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Welllllllll.....I've read all the posts as I too am in the market for a BUIS and am very glad to we are all in AGREEMENT !!  

5sub
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Welllllllll.....I've read all the posts as I too am in the market for a BUIS and am very glad to we are all in AGREEMENT !!

5sub

What did I just agree too????

Oh crap not again, the last time I forgot what I agreed to there was a fat chick and some mayonaise involved.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
In fixed sights I like the LMT followed by the LaRue.  I use the Improved Battle Sight Zero, so the elevation wheel on the LMT makes it superior for my purposes.

For flip ups, I currently use the Troy but I also really like the ARMS #40.  I switched to the Troy because it fits under an ACOG.  

I do not like the ARMS 40L because when you flip it up, it is on the small aperature.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I have Troy but Magpul makes some buis. I have not tried them but they look nice and are a fraction of the price of Troy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a used Matech I'll sell you for $45 + shipping.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

+1

I like my YHM flip rear sight. It fits perfectly under my TA31F on a LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

5sub

Oh crap not again, the last time I forgot what I agreed to there was a fat chick and some mayonaise involved.

You're halfway to making a sandwich.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#30]
To those of you that don't run the Flip-ups,

How well do the fixed sight's co-witness with  an optic.

Or should I just get something that stays out of the way entirely.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the LaRue

I respectfully disagree.  My LMT BUIS works well - the knob is about the same size as on a carry handle.  Even without an extended latch, it hasn't been a problem for me.  I worked malfunction clearances extensively yesterday with the LMT-sighted AR (thanks to a nonfunctioning .22 kit), and it wasn't an issue.  That massive knob on Aimpoint's QRP mount, OTOH, was a much larger nuisance.

I have Troys on 2 other ARs, and put a dab of blue thread locker on the screw of each before installation.  There has been zero movement despite being banged into objects & subjected to recoil.  How would a Troy screw be any more likely than any other screw to walk under recoil?  

I dont know the engineering behind why. I've just seen more Troy sights lose the attachment screw in classes than any other brand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Depends on what kind of optic you have planned for the future.

Eotech or Aimpoint, I would go with the Larue fixed sight. Rock solid, no frills and sexy! LMT was little big for my tastes.

Acog or some kind of scope, I would get a low profile folding sight of some sort. Arms #40 low profile or a Troy would be the way to go.

ETA:  In my experience, fixed sights do not get in the way for an Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
To those of you that don't run the Flip-ups,

How well do the fixed sight's co-witness with  an optic.

Or should I just get something that stays out of the way entirely.

On both of my AR's with fixed rear sights, I use a LaRue optic mount that allows lower 1/3 cowitnessing.  Use the rear sight when needed & just stare past (or over) it the rest of the time.  No issues for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a Midwest Ind "Same Plane, Low Profile" flip-up. It wasn't very spendy, but it hasn't moved since I put it on.
I was worried the windage knob would get moved too easily, it hasn't been a problem yet.
The only gripe I have is that to acheive the low height, they had to shave off part of the diopter, so it will only fold down with the large diopter in place.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Depends on what kind of optic you have planned for the future.

Eotech or Aimpoint, I would go with the Larue fixed sight. Rock solid, no frills and sexy! LMT was little big for my tastes.

Acog or some kind of scope, I would get a low profile folding sight of some sort. Arms #40 low profile or a Troy would be the way to go.

ETA: In my experience, fixed sights do not get in the way for an Aimpoint.

So if the plan is later in life to go with the Eotech the LaRue is GTG.

is there anything special that has to happen with my front sight post due to the lack of elevation adjustment on the LaRue?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#36]
I have Midwest Ind. on my rifle and like it
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Exactly, wtf is this not a poll choice? You can get a full set for $100 used. Very solid.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#38]
All great suggestions, but, you mentioned adding an optic. So, knowing what type of optic you intend to get would figure into deciding which BUIS you will want to consider.

Do you want to cowitness your iron sights with your optic? I'm thinking like an Eothingy and folding BUIS. Do you want a folding or fixed BUIS? Mount type?

There is a great thread here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=206233

Don't buy anything until you have considered all the variables.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5sub

You're halfway to making a sandwich.

Without benefit of the UNIFIED advice above, I would have defaulted to ARMS.........probably still will buy ARMS.....even though macman recommends ARMS.

5sub
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a Midwest Ind "Same Plane, Low Profile" flip-up. It wasn't very spendy, but it hasn't moved since I put it on.
I was worried the windage knob would get moved too easily, it hasn't been a problem yet.
The only gripe I have is that to acheive the low height, they had to shave off part of the diopter, so it will only fold down with the large diopter in place.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/splpclrpu.gif

That's the sight I'm looking for.  I didn't realize it wouldn't fold down with the small diopter in place.   Shouldn't be a problem.

Anybody got a used one for sale?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Magpul MBUS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#42]

TROY!!  spend a little extra and get a set that will last forever and look the best doing it

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

5sub

So you have something constructive to add?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I am going to shut this baby down around 330 CST so I can get my order in before the end of the day.

So if you guys would like share the place you would buy your chosen product from and why I would appreciate it

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/splpclrpu.gif

That's the sight I'm looking for.  I didn't realize it wouldn't fold down with the small diopter in place.   Shouldn't be a problem.
Anybody got a used one for sale?

If you had the right tools, I bet you could shave off the edge of the large diopter to get it to be able to fold down with the small diopter in place.

It would be impossible to break the site by closing it with it in the wrong position, it just won't fold 'flat.'
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
<...> if you guys would like share the place you would buy your chosen product from and why I would appreciate it <...>

Order from a site sponsor. I have ordered from Brownells and Bravo Comp with no problems. I ordered my MI SPLP folding site right from MI. The sponsor link is: MI

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#47]
troy or larue
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

agree 100%

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#49]
GG&G. Anything else is a compromise

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Decide if you want fixed or folding.

Then:

Fixed:
LMT
LaRue
Daniel Defense

Folding:
ARMS
KAC
Troy
Magpul
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top