Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:19:55 AM EDT
How is this company still in business?  I can't recall ever seeing a large, publicly traded company that bungled its business model so badly.   Over the last couple years, they have closed all of their small to medium sized stores and replaced them with huge, Cabelas-like "lodges." They have shit loads of inventory on hand at all times, with seemingly little turnover and few customers.  I go there an average of once a month to finger fuck their guns and look for hunting gear to order from online retailers.  Month after month, they have the same pile of over-priced new and used guns, with little movement.  Here are a couple examples:

1.  "Used" Springfield GI: $699  (this I suspect was new, but they also seem to play games with "new" versus "used" to avoid their price matching policy).
2.  New Rock Island basic 1911 $500
3.  Ruger LCR: $550 ($25 above MSRP)
4.  Used Lorcin .380 wit Beamz:  $350
5.  Used, 2nd gen Glock 22: $495 (this was a $350 gun, at best).

Their ammo prices are the worst in the business, the price matching policy is absolutely useless, and the managers don't seem to have the power to haggle.  Even Best Buy managers can negotiate prices.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#1]
their corporate policies are full of fail as are the people who work there, which happen to be complete morons.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I find good used gun deals at my GM....

S&W 500 8 3/8" - $600
Browning BT99 (comp'd and adj. stock) - $700
Winchester M70 FW Stainless .243 - $550

I don't buy ammo, as I reload - but every December\January there is a shitload of good deals on used guns.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I suspect that apparel sales are the only thing keeping them in business.  It is about 60% of their floor space.

ETA
I have bought guns there before:

1) A nice Garand for $500
2) A Remington 597 for $160
3) A NEF Pardner Pump for $170

I'm pleased with all three.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

4.  Used Lorcin .380 wit Beamz: $350

I loled
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw 2 shotguns there yesterday with bent barrels.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
the local GM often has used shotguns for ~ $250, not bad for IIRC a Rem 870, no?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, among many of my friends it's referred to as "Rip-off Mountain."
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, just go there to finger fuck guns and then decide what to order off the web.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I suspect that apparel sales are the only thing keeping them in business.  It is about 60% of their floor space.

ETA
I have bought guns there before:

1) A nice Garand for $500
2) A Remington 597 for $160
3) A NEF Pardner Pump for $170

I'm pleased with all three.

Looking at a pair of their $30 blue jeans, something seemed familiar. Comparing the manufacturing tag on the inside to the one on my $14 Rustlers from Walmart that I was wearing, they were identical.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
everytime i step into one of these places, guns and ammo are flying off the shelves.

people i guess just don't know how to use the internet to shop around.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I went there the other day to look at ACOG's. None in sight, but they did have a Trijicon Tri Power for 550. I thought that was a reasonable price. When I asked about how much they sell their ACOG's for, the guy said between 1000-2100 bucks, which is a whole lot more than what I'm willing to spend for a standard ACOG.

They had a Steyr Aug there for 2100 bucks which seems like the going rate.

Ammo prices are where it got ridiculous. You had low end .223 being sold for 12 bucks a box. 50 round boxes of .40SW WOLF being sold for 20 bucks a box! I could not believe that! I saw they had Winchester White Box 7.62 NATO....for 24 bucks a box! Yow! Good thing Aim Surplus is about a 25 minute drive for me, and walk-in returns in a few weeks.

ETA-Also saw they had the 2009 Model Mini-14 (16 inch barrel, flash hider, not the Tapco one) for 850 bucks!  The same model gets sold for about 600 dollars on Gunbroker.

I remember a few months ago .223 was pretty scarce there. Now, GM is choking on it. I think we're seeing an end to the ammo shortage. Now we just have to wait for the overwhelming supply to push demand...and price down.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#12]
You can find amazing deals when the clerk responsible for pricing doesnt know wtf it is beyond what he can find in the pricing book with the minimal amount of searching. I know a few people that have basically stolen stuff from GM because of that.  One snagged a Performance Center S&W revolver for the price of the standard model.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I was in the GM one day and noticed a sign.. 20% off all hunting gear today..  It was right above the reloading stuff.
I stocked up on some stuff. The kid at the counter was getting an attitude with me and other customers who were "Only buying the stuff because it is on sale"

It was apparently the most he had had to work in his entire career at that store.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep, among many of my friends it's referred to as "Rip-off Mountain."

Might as well be Brokeback Mtn. for what they price some of their shit...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a used (but unfired) XD-45 at the local GM for $350 once.  That's the first and last good price I've seen on a firearm there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Worked for them for five years.

They are only concerned about their bottom line.

Customer service is mostly a joke, unless you get a good one. (like my buddy skywarp)

unfortunately they got all of their orders in long ago, and in some caese are the only place with the stuff people want.

So then they can play price games, and people still buy

Let this thread flame them
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Because the few alternatives are worse.

Dick's
  Cabella's
  Bass Pro Shop
  Your Local Fudd Store

And because manufacturers have no marketing sense...

I bought a Liberty Safe from Gander Mt. because THEY HAD ONE and a guy who would deliver it.

I wanted a Browning for the ability to store guns more efficently, esp. the short ARs.

Same price. But the Browning had to be ordered sight unseen and shipped at an additional $700+ or, I could get a cheaper model delivered TO MY DRIVEWAY.

Doubtless in a large box labled GUN SAFE.

Brilliant.

So Gander Overpriced Mountain will stay in business forever.

Yep, just go there to finger fuck guns and then decide what to order off the web.

Yep, thats what I do!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]
No, this is Madness...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Their prices have gotten out of hand lately.

However, about 3 years ago I did pick up a new Remington 11-87 premier 12 ga. shotgun for $500 out the door at the store in Little Rock.  I thought it was a decent deal for one of the most beautiful shotguns I've ever handled.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I've yet to figure out how they stay in business. The store is practically empty every time I go in there, even during what would be peak hours for most stores. I used to buy small stuff that I could live with overpaying slightly because of the convenience factor of the store on my way to/from work because I almost felt sorry for them. Haven't been there in years now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I find good used gun deals at my GM....

+1 I've found some great deals on used guns at my GM as well....ammo, not so much. They also have some truly excellent sales on clothes. Their 50% off of clearance price sales always net me a good portion of my clothing for the year. You can't beat $4 jeans and $15 Sorel boots!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#22]
< Buy our over priced shit or we'll kill your dog > ~Edited by Gander Mountain
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#23]
From our local gander:

What do you mean, ammo shortage??

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#24]
10 bucks for Wolf .223  

I never thought I'd live to see the day.  Hopefully there will be some good clearance sales soon.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#25]
They price things however they want there I think.  I bought a used  glock 26 for $280 and used 3rd gen glock 17 for $325.  I also watched a guy buy a S&W model 29 no lock with 8-3/8 inch barrel for $320 (He had it in his hands before I got up to the counter or it would have been mine).  I have also seen used glock 17's for more than new ones.  I think they just put numbers in a hat and whatever they pull out is what the price is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can find amazing deals when the clerk responsible for pricing doesnt know wtf it is beyond what he can find in the pricing book with the minimal amount of searching. I know a few people that have basically stolen stuff from GM because of that.  One snagged a Performance Center S&W revolver for the price of the standard model.

Kharn

My thoughts exactly.
I find a deal on a used gun once every 3 years or so there but you have to check them often or someone else will get it.
Usually I leave empty handed and telling my wife not to let me go there anymore cause it's a waste of time.
Last deal was a Winchester Model 100 for $239 bout 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

My thoughts exactly.
I find a deal on a used gun once every 3 years or so there but you have to check them often or someone else will get it.
Usually I leave empty handed and telling my wife not to let me go there anymore cause it's a waste of time.
Last deal was a Winchester Model 100 for $239 bout 5 years ago.

Never gotten a deal on a gun there, but I did get around 1200$ worth of Surefire for 200$ a couple of weeks ago.
They were doing clearance, someone marked 50% off...then 50% off again...and 2 of them were even 50% off of that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, which WI GM store?

I picked up the RIA 1911 basic for $300 at a GM.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, which WI GM store?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#31]
OP, which WI GM store?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP, which WI GM store?

Deforest, WI.  How recently was that?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
their corporate policies are full of fail as are the people who work there, which happen to be complete morons.

I must agree. $4K for a used 6920 (two years ago).

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#34]
GM is the closest outdoor box store to me, so I still go everytime im down there.  However when I saw the 50rnd blazer brass 40cal for 29.99 and the blk hills and remingon jhp for 69.99 a box, that was the last time I ever took that place seriously. Bought some new pepper spray for the lady, and on my way I went. That place blows, but it could be so cool. Why!!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#35]
The closest Gander Mountain (Ronaoke, VA.) is absolute shit. I stopped going there a month after they opened.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I have bought lots of guns from GM over the years.

Yes, they often have really stupid prices...but sometimes they underprice, not always just overprice, their stuff.

The stuff you see at GM that was there last month and the months before is stuff that they've overpriced so it just sits there.  The reasonably priced and underpriced stuff flies off the shelf...don't kid yourself, they move a shitload of guns.  A monthly trip to GM doesn't tell you the whole story.

For that matter, traditional "mom & pop" gun shops don't always get their pricing right either.  

In short, a smart gun buyer knows more about what he's buying than the seller does.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#37]
It seems this way with all big stores. Deals are almost impossible to be found anymore.

I will say this about them, they are the only ones around here (that I know of) where you can open carry in their store.

But yes, they are overpriced.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Worked for them for five years.

They are only concerned about their bottom line.

Customer service is mostly a joke, unless you get a good one. (like my buddy skywarp)

unfortunately they got all of their orders in long ago, and in some cases are the only place with the stuff people want.

So then they can play price games, and people still buy

Let this thread flame them

Disclaimer- I currently work at a gander part time and am a grad student/teacher full time.

I worked with Skywarp at his store- great guy and will go out of his way to help a customer. Just like any retail place, it depends on the guys who work there and just how "corporate" the management is. To be honest, I bought most of my stuff elsewhere until recently when it just became harder to find certain things. There are deals to be had in the gun area as it depends on the guy who takes them in (used guns). If the guy is super generous to the seller, the price will be high and the seller will be happy. If the guy low balls the seller, the seller may be unhappy, but future customers will be happy. We use the blue book to price guns, so if the prices are high it's the dink at the counters fault for not being reasonable.

Most of the guys I work with at my current store are college drop outs/ dipshits/ retail lifers who are just as hard to work with as they are to buy stuff from. We don't work on commission, but a lot of customers are observant and want to work with the better salesman and will seek us out.

For the longest time I thought gander's prices were crazy high (and in some cases they are), but other retailers have seem to caught up with gander. There's 119 ganders all over the US, so quality will vary.

As a side note- used guns have to be on the shelf for 35 days before employees can buy them, but I still manage to get some killer deals because people bitch and moan and finger the deals to death and never buy. Examples of the deals I've seen WITHIN THE LAST 12 months (all used guns in excellent condition):

Smith 41s 399-499
Smith 686's 25-350
Beretta storm rifle 350
Bushy m4 599
new 1100 competition master 440
remington 700 vssf in 308 450
Browning Hi Power standard 399
Remington 870's 149-250
Sig 229 380
winchester o/u 450
weatherby orion 500
Kimber stainless target 450
Various glocks for 350-399

Yes there are deals to be had, but not if you only check every once in a while. It's like the EE- all the good deals go fast.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, which WI GM store?

Deforest, WI.  How recently was that?  

Last year. There's an archived thread on my expirience for team members:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=677772

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#40]
You just have to shop them like any other retail store.   I got a used Beretta AL390 there for $300.  A brand new Remington 597 for $100.   A brand new Winchester 1300 Camp Defender for $260.  I have even found a few of the rarer versions of various Mosin Nagant rifles there. They were the cheapest place for the ADCOM 5.56 ammo and I got tons of it from them for about $225/1000.   I really get sick of the holier than thou types here who always pan them.  I know you have a secret store where new firearms can be purchased for 10% of the retail price and  ammo for $3.00/1000 rounds etc.  At least they are on our side of the firearms debate.  The local one hosts safety forums and various hunter safety classes.   Even classes on getting pistol permits etc.  Even kayaking classes.   Give them a break.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I stocked up on Shoot-n-c 50 pack 5.5 inch targets at the 10 pack price. I had them check and double check the price. They were happy, so I was too.

I think the only deals to be had there are when they make a mistake.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:Give them a break.

I'll give them a break when they they get a head check and get their prices in line with other retailers.

I stopped in to my local GM today looking for .40 ammo. They had a whole shelf of Fiocci marked $39 a box! That's .80 cents a round for FMJ!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:Give them a break.

I'll give them a break when they they get a head check and get their prices in line with other retailers.

I stopped in to my local GM today looking for .40 ammo. They had a whole shelf of Fiocci marked $39 a box! That's .80 cents a round for FMJ!  

Oh yeah, it's pricey, but it's in stock. They will also price match any local competition even if it's at a major loss. Like I tell the customers, they have and always will miss out if they're not shopping for ammo online. Go to Dicks and try to buy a used gun or order a liberty safe...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Gander Mountain: The Radio Shack of outdoor stores
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Hmmm 90 cents a round for .223
I can shoot factory .243 for 90 cents a round, no question which rifle I would use for that kind of pricing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Ammo prices are shit.

New gun prices are usually shit (on occassion they can be on par, for things like .22s).

Used gun prices range from awesome to shit. I've picked up a Winchester 1300 Defender in good condition for $170 and a SS NRM Commander LNIB for $600 from the local GM. I stop in every couple of weeks to check the used guns.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Picked up a New Mossy 500 for 179,  and a good little used (like new) beretta bobcat for 160.  but they rape you on ammo,  and yes their price matching is as gay as a 3 dollar bill.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Picked up a New Mossy 500 for 179,  and a good little used (like new) beretta bobcat for 160.  but they rape you on ammo,  and yes their price matching is as gay as a 3 dollar bill.

Why is it gay? Needs to be an in stock item at a local competitor- pretty fair.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Because the few alternatives are worse.

Dick's
  Cabella's
  Bass Pro Shop
  Your Local Fudd Store

And because manufacturers have no marketing sense...

I bought a Liberty Safe from Gander Mt. because THEY HAD ONE and a guy who would deliver it.

I wanted a Browning for the ability to store guns more efficently, esp. the short ARs.

Same price. But the Browning had to be ordered sight unseen and shipped at an additional $700+ or, I could get a cheaper model delivered TO MY DRIVEWAY.

Doubtless in a large box labled GUN SAFE.

Brilliant.

So Gander Overpriced Mountain will stay in business forever.

Yep, thats what I do!

You're seriously contending that Cabelas and Bass Pro are worse?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#50]
today i saw they has .50 cal ammo cans for $19.99 a piece.  2 months ago, they were selling them for $6 a piece, it was the only reason i still went there. not anymore
I cant wait for their going out of business sale.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top