Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2009 5:02:55 AM EDT
My wife had me pick up some peanut butter at the store. I know she always buys Jif but I checked the price difference and went with the house brand. I've never been able to tell the slightest difference but she threw a mini tantrum when I got home. She claims that there's a difference in the oil content and since she's baking with it, it will make a difference in the end product. The recipe book even states to not use generic.  

Is this snobbery or truth?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes certain recipies are written around a particular product because that is what the original cook made it with.

Sometimes there are companies who have contracts to pimp a certain brand for a certain amount of time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Could be true, I guess.

I buy store brand stuff all the time, I can't tell any difference.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the Costco (Kirkland) brand peanut butter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#4]
according to the recent peanut product disaster a company had in NC it isn't the same at all. All the name brand peanut butter was ok.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Snobbery

There are going to be small variations in the content but not enough to make a big difference in baking.

Is the recipe book put out by Smuckers/Jif?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]
government is the bestus...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#7]
get the natural kind the kind that is like an inch of peanut oil over peanut butter you have to stir up before using its gooood.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Snobbery

There are going to be small variations in the content but not enough to make a big difference in baking.

I missed the Jif part in the OP. Jif is
as far as peanut butter goes, IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

according to the recent peanut product disaster a company had in NC it isn't the same at all. All the name brand peanut butter was ok.

A different plant/company that had a contamination problem means no such thing, it is all still just freaking peanut butter no matter who makes it. The basic ingredients are the same.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Should've just got the damn JIF like your wife asked.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#11]
It's all the same.

I was a baker for a year or so at the 2nd biggest baker in the country.  The only difference in the bread that was sold was the wrapper and cost.  A loaf of italian/potato/white/etc bread sold in x wrapper was 2.99 a loaf, put in y wrapper and it was 1.99 a loaf, put in z wrapper and it was 99 cents a loaf.  The bread was all the same: same recipe, same line, everything.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#12]
You eat live frogs, we know you don't care which peanut butter you get.  But there is a great difference in PB.  I think the difference is more pronounced than in other products.  Jif is my favorite (because I grew up on it).  The only other I even like is skippy.   Most others I think taste bland at best and bitter, or burned even, at worst.  Many brand products are about the same as store brand ( some even come off the same line at the factory).  But, I have to go with the Mrs. on this one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife had me pick up some peanut butter at the store. I know she always buys Jif but I checked the price difference and went with the house brand. I've never been able to tell the slightest difference but she threw a mini tantrum when I got home. She claims that there's a difference in the oil content and since she's baking with it, it will make a difference in the end product. The recipe book even states to not use generic.  

Is this snobbery or truth?

Yes and no.

Certain brands like generic medications will actually come off the same name brand line.  Others not so much.

The secret is to know which brands do this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#14]
she threw a mini tantrum when I got home.

So you probably saved $0.50 or 1.00 on the jar....was it worth listening to the tantrum?

Just look at the ingredient list...make sure the ingredients are the same and in the same order (supposedly they are listed by weight/volume) and the Generic that matches is probably identical (and in some cases made by the same company).  

Although as mentioned above....sometimes not worth the hassles.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#15]
No!  All peanut butter is NOT created equal!  Store brands suck!  Jif for the MFW!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
government is the bestus...

Government peanut butter?

Victory Peanut Butter!  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]
No, it wasn't worth the hassle to save $.80 but I really didn't think it mattered, especially since it was going to be used in a recipe.

*sigh* Live and learn, I reckon.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No!  All peanut butter is NOT created equal!  Store brands suck!  Jif for the MFW!

Ninja, please.

Skippy (Super Chunk) is what peanut butter is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:38:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't eat regular peanut butter anymore. Natural peanut butter tastes so much better, the Naturally More brand is delicious and healthier than Jif, etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#20]
In my opinion there is a difference in some brand names and store brands, sometimes the difference is quite noticible.  In one case the store brand contact lens soaking solution was like water compared to the brand name.  I usually comment to the store director (grocery) when they introduce their store brand and flood the shelf, somtimes putting only a few (or maybe none) of the brand name for a few days.  My comment is generally along the lines of "don't try to force me to try your brand, let me choose".  Wana guess how much good it does?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#21]
They are NOT the same thing.  There is a difference.  Whether that difference is noticible, or has signifigance to you as the eater is another question.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't eat regular peanut butter anymore. Natural peanut butter tastes so much better, the Naturally More brand is delicious and healthier than Jif, etc.

Why exactly is it healthier?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing it's the oil they use. I think a lot of PBs use cottonseed oil instead of just the natural peanut oil.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing it's the oil they use. I think a lot of PBs use cottonseed oil instead of just the natural peanut oil.

Jif ingredients:

http://www.jif.com/products/details.asp?prodID=325

Ingredients

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS
AND SUGAR. CONTAINS 2 PERCENT OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, PARTIALLY
HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN), FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS
(RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES AND SALT.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#25]
She is sort of correct.  Some generic peanut butters contain significantly more oil than name brands, while others do not.

The trick is to know which is which.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#26]
It's been my experience that one gets what one pays for in PB.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Generic usually seems somewhat dry to me. Skippy Superchunk FTW!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Could be true, I guess.

I buy store brand stuff all the time, I can't tell any difference.

Same here...much of of the store brand groceries are pretty much the same as the comparable name brand.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Creamy JIF for the win.

HH
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#30]
like guns you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#31]
like guns you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Their natural peanut butter is really good.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#33]
House Brand vs. Name Brand.

Speaking of PB.......

Yes, sometimes they may come from the same factory (with different labels and/or designed packages) and the key ingredient is just peanuts.  

But, there might be a difference in the quality control spec, oil content, salt, or whatever "added" ingredient(s).

ME........I buy the house brand, I don't care.  To ME..........peanut butter is peanut butter.   However, IF I were a connoisseur of PB and IF I could tell the difference..........then, it probably would make a difference to me.

You eat, you shit and you die.

Aloha, Mark

PS..........can you taste the difference in brands between sugar? salt? flour?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their natural peanut butter is really good.

The almond butter, when they have it, is also damn good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Smuckers Natural.  I refuse to acknowledge any other brands.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I can tell the difference.  I'm sure there are those that cant.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Snobbery

I missed the Jif part in the OP. Jif is as far as peanut butter goes, IMHO.

BULLSHIT

But then again, I AM a choosy mother...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#38]
read the lable, as has been mentioned some use cheaper oil, sugar ,xanthemgum ,etc...
some say peanuts.
brand name is not nessisarily better, jif and skippy have thickend oil to help keep it from separating like pure peanut butter,
and more of it to make it spread better.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Not all peanut butter is equal.  I can't stand Skippy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#40]
My only rule is to buy peanut butter that has an ingredient list of  Peanuts, salt.

JIF, and most other big brandnames, have vegetable oil and sugar in them.  I get enough of that with other foods.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#41]
We buy Reese's.  

Next time buy what she wants, it's cheaper than a new wife.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#42]
When baking especially, things like this matter.
Store brand pie crusts, cream cheese, etc... not good. She's probably right about the peanut butter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#43]
IBTDJ !
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#44]
True life story from the grocery line:

oob was in line behind a young earthy couple,approximately the age of 20,with a late model hippyling who were purchasing food with WIC coupons and EBT card.The cashier was having a fit,telling them that they could not purchase the organic peanut butter with said coupons and the hippies were expressing why they thought they should be able to,as according to them they had before...After literally several minutes of this and them searching their pockets for $,I said " Gimme that,if you absolutely must have organic peanut butter I'll buy it for you".

The 2 young hippies looked at a very conservative looking me with wide eyes and smiles and expressed their many thanks.

To which I replied " It's OK kids,I'm paying for the rest of your stuff anyway".
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
True life story from the grocery line:

oob was in line behind a young earthy couple,approximately the age of 20,with a late model hippyling who were purchasing food with WIC coupons and EBT card.The cashier was having a fit,telling them that they could not purchase the organic peanut butter with said coupons and the hippies were expressing why they thought they should be able to,as according to them they had before...After literally several minutes of this and them searching their pockets for $,I said " Gimme that,if you absolutely must have organic peanut butter I'll buy it for you".

The 2 young hippies looked at a very conservative looking me with wide eyes and smiles and expressed their many thanks.

To which I replied " It's OK kids,I'm paying for the rest of your stuff anyway".

Happened to my bud once except the woman got pissed and yelled "I don't need yo help paying fo mah groceries!"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Imagine if you sent her out to buy WWB and she came back with Wolf.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
JIF, and most other big brandnames, have vegetable oil and sugar in them.

True. Simply JIF is my absolute favorite peanut butter. Less sugar than regular JIF, and even better flavor. Most other major brands and definitely the store brands have a stale flavor.

Smucker's Natural, aka Laura Scudder's, is pretty good too, but I like the hint of sweetness that Simply JIF has.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Imagine if you sent her out to buy WWB and she came back with Wolf.

I hear ya, and it'd be a good point if it weren't for that fact that she didn't tell me what brand to buy. Just "get peanut butter." So I got peanut butter.

(Then I went back and got Jif.)

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Adams from Costco for the Win !!

"Adams® Peanut ButterAdams Peanut Butter is made from only the finest, fresh roasted peanuts. All of our peanut butter products contain NO added sugar, NO hydrogenated oils and 0 grams of Trans Fatty acids. Available in 8 varieties including 100% Natural, Organic, and No Stir, the all-natural taste of Adams will add a special touch to your favorite recipes.

Our Natural Peanut Butter is made with 99% fresh roasted peanuts with just a dash of salt.

Our Organic Peanut Butter is USDA-certified and contains no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Where to Buy ©/™/® The J.M. Smucker CompanyPrivacy"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top