Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:20:04 AM EDT
Seriously, this would suck to be on the rope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JU4oMinw38

Enjoy
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow!

That won't buff out of his evaluation report.

-K
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#2]

made it hot

wow that sucks... I've had the helo pick up a little bit but jeeeeze

-Roth
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if there was a mechanical issue. At least they didn't cut the ropes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

made it hot

wow that sucks... I've had the helo pick up a little bit but jeeeeze

-Roth

Thanks, still don't know how to do that
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If there were 2 guys on the rope and the pilot had to pull up like that is there a device or a procedure for the guy not to have to drop into a tree top or do you just hold on as long as you can?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If there were 2 guys on the rope and the pilot had to pull up like that is there a device or a procedure for the guy not to have to drop into a tree top or do you just hold on as long as you can?

Hold on and hope they don't drop ropes with you on them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Could be a crew chief error?

Every time I fast roped, the rope master gave the clear to the crew chief to drop ropes after everyone cleared the aircraft.  IIRC, this was after his visual check.

Who knows, maybe the pilot got ancy...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold on and hope they don't drop ropes with you on them.

Hold on until the choppa' lands then teach the pilot why having a "spotter" watching the troops on a rope, may save his life.

That looks and sounds like someplace in South East Asia.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That looks and sounds like someplace in South East Asia.

Thailand maybe?

Just a guess from the username, and the other vids that same guy uploaded.

I wonder how badly hurt the guy who went off the rope from about 25-30 feet up was.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd think there was some kind of communication issue between the pilot and the guy that gives the "ropes clear" signal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]
just about every fastrope we did back in the flintstone days would result in injury to somebody...usually ankle sprains..

most of the time the heavy weapons guys would go first so we wouldn't land on somebody's head...there's no stopping with that much weight...many times i would go first and end up with a chemlight in my hands from the end of the rope..just hard for the chopper crew to judge distance esp at night..

just my 2 cents..
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#12]
O crap!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Could have been a wind issue.  I know sometimes when I am doing an up-wind landing, either for training or because that is the only available approach, you can get into settling with power, or the helicopter gets 'twitchy.'  Flying out of it is the only option at that altitude.  Also may have been (although not likely) a strong updraft, or a wind shear from a no-wind to a solid head-wind condition, which can cause a suddend climb.  But, the H-1 is a stable platform in the wind, and a half-way decent pilot should have been able to compensate for any (reasonable) wind.  He may just be a lousy pilot, or the CC and pilot were not communicating.  Sucks to be on the rope.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#14]
DAYYUM!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top