Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:12:45 AM EDT
"I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds. ”
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that was Colonel IBTL.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I believe that was Colonel IBTL.

Hint...

It's a prominent politician...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Robert Byrd
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
A racist Senator..................thats IBTL!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Robert Byrd

Winner...

But it's OK...because he's a Democrat...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Byrd joined the Ku Klux Klan when he was 24 in 1942. His local chapter unanimously elected him Exalted Cyclops.[6]

According to Byrd, a Klan official told him, "You have a talent for leadership, Bob... The country needs young men like you in the leadership of the nation." Byrd later recalled, "suddenly lights flashed in my mind! Someone important had recognized my abilities! I was only 23 or 24 years old, and the thought of a political career had never really hit me. But strike me that night, it did."[6] Byrd held the titles Kleagle (recruiter) and Exalted Cyclops.[6]

In 1944, Byrd wrote to segregationist Mississippi Senator Theodore Bilbo:[9]

“ I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds. ”
 — Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944, [6][10]

When running for the United States House of Representatives in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He said he had joined the Klan because he felt it offered excitement and was anti-communist.[6] However, in 1946 or 1947 he wrote a letter to a Grand Wizard stating, "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia and in every state in the nation."[11]

In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics, but to "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena."[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd

Fucking prick...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
But strike me that night, it did.

Holy crap, he's Yoda!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top