Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:55:08 AM EDT
I just heard that the feds cut off water to 95 % of the farms in the west san Joaquine valley and the farmers are actively revolting , media blackout exept for local news. anyone out that way know whats up ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just heard that the feds cut off water to 95 % of the farms in the west san Joaquine valley and the farmers are actively revolting , media blackout exept for local news. anyone out that way know whats up ?

were getting ready to convert to Brawndo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:59:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's got what plants crave.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:05:26 AM EDT
[#3]
People first! Then plants and animals. T/S for them if there isn't enough.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Problem being , it's being diverted to make sure there are enough salmon for the killer whales ...... so much for people first right ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it's got electrolytes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbass!

Its spelt 'lectrolites.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbass!

Its spelt 'lectrolites.

Spelling correction Fail.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbass!

Its spelt 'lectrolites.

http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2008/04/brawndo01.gif
Spelling correction Fail.

lol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
That is one of the top producing algricultural regions in the nation.
I wonder if it is because the gov't wants to drive food prices up or some idiot gov't bureaucrat is just on a power trip?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wonder if it is because the gov't wants to drive food prices up or some idiot gov't bureaucrat is just on a power trip?

The Federal government has been subsidizing farmers since before you were born.

Of course, anything is possible.  I doubt it's just some bureaucrat on a power trip.  Probably just another inept one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Gee ,  if the farmers end up needing a bailout , do we get nationalised farming too !!!  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbass!

Its spelt 'lectrolites.

You talk like a FAG.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee , if the farmers end up needing a bailout , do we get nationalised farming too !!!

wouldn't that make immigrant workers now federal employee's

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbass!

Its spelt 'lectrolites.

You talk like a FAG.

and your shits all retarded.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Federal government has been subsidizing farmers since before you were born.

Of course, anything is possible.  I doubt it's just some bureaucrat on a power trip.  Probably just another inept one.

The gov't subsidies are done to "stabilize" productions. Even so far as paying not to plant like the CRP.
You're right. An inept bureaucrat would do something like turning off water if he thought we was going to lose control of a situation in his bailiwick.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee ,  if the farmers end up needing a bailout , do we get nationalised farming too !!!  

I believe they prefer the name "Kollektives."

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Of course we don't.  There's a news blackout on it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am willing to bet money that its coming. The plans are unfolding in front of our eyes. Obama expanding power to take over business that are too big to fail (American Ag would sure fall under that). Wants increased fuel taxes (I bet that will help farmers a lot). To top it all off, throw in our shitty economy as it stands and its only a matter of time before we will see it, IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:15:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn glad I have a kitchen garden. Kalifornistan supplies like 70 % of Americas food.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:26:29 AM EDT
[#21]
So let me see , the obamasia controls  Money , pay rates , water flow , food supply (via water flow) , housing , and is working on controlling health care..............are we there yet?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So let me see , the obamasia controls  Money , pay rates , water flow , food supply (via water flow) , housing , and is working on controlling health care..............are we there yet?

Who run barter town?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:36:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Pics or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its got electrolytes and shits
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who run barter town?

LOL no shit huh
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#26]
http://www.kmph.com/Global/story.asp?S=10484890&nav=menu612_2_2

Valley Farmers Upset over Feds Plan to Protect Salmon

Posted: June 5, 2009 11:53 AM EDT

Valley Farmers Upset over Feds Plan to Protect Salmon  

By: Norma Yuriar

Fresno, Calif. (KMPH News) - First the Delta Smelt, now Chinook Salmon.  Federal fisheries have a new plan to protect endangered fish.

"Eight hundred thousand salmon returned to the river just a few years back, but last year we only saw 60,000 fish come back. That's a 90% decline in just a few years," said Mike Hudson with Salmonaid.

On Thursday the National Marine Fisheries Service announced salmon and other endangered species need more water in rivers and streams in order to survive. A decision, valley farmers argue puts fish before people.

"Fresno County, the San Joaquin Valley produces 55% of the nation's food supply.  If we are not receiving a water supply here, those crops are not being grown," said Sarah Woolf with the Westlands Water District.

Woolf says Fresno County's west side is still trying to recover, after regulators cut water allocations to farmers to 10% this year to protect the Delta Smelt.

Members of Congress from the valley say if local growers receive any less water there will be dyer consequences.

"This government is presiding over a manmade drought in California," said Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Visalia. "Thanks to this, my district's at 20% unemployment. Some communities are at 50% unemployment."

Farmers say they plan to challenge Thursday's decision in court.

"We anticipate at Westlands that we will be going to court again filing a similar case that we did on the Delta Smelt asking to bring into account the environmental and human impacts," said Woolf.

The new regulations would cut water supplies from the Delta by about seven percent - that's enough water for a city of two million people and enough to give a declining fish population a second chance.

"We think today is the beginning of the change.  If it doesn't change a number of those fish are headed for extinction," said Dick Pool with the Water for Fish Program.

The cuts will hit water supplies next year, in what form exactly is still unknown.  The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation says it's reading the 800 page report before it takes action.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:02:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I understand the reason is to Protect a MINNOW,,a freaking MINNOW,,,
Paul Rodriqiz (actor/comic) was on Beck the other day, I didnt catch it all, but he is outraged and loosing his orange grove or something..

and ya wonder why Kali is in financial ruin

how that many stupid people can be voted into positions of power is beyond me,,but, we have our share of MORONs in Texas, trust me..

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Ready and waiting for the revolution.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I am willing to bet money that its coming. The plans are unfolding in front of our eyes. Obama expanding power to take over business that are too big to fail (American Ag would sure fall under that). Wants increased fuel taxes (I bet that will help farmers a lot). To top it all off, throw in our shitty economy as it stands and its only a matter of time before we will see it, IMHO.  

Absolutely correct.  Dear Leader will convert from President to Premeir or El Presidente.  He's moving so fast that even if there were a massive Conservative victory in 2010, which is very doubtful, they won't be able to reverse the corruption.  They aren't even organized enough to form a coherent voice of opposition.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

RTFA

Farmers are experiencing the third year of a drought. Water shortages have been intensified by federal diversions to protect salmon and other endangered fish in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Water authority challenges Marine Fisheries Service opinion

Published on 06/16/2009 08:34am By Don Schrack

Friend's Email *    
Your Email  
Subject *  

Cancel  
  Send  

The Los Banos, Calif.-based San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority, which represents more than 25 water districts, agencies and water service contractors in California’s San Joaquin Valley, has filed a federal lawsuit to block implementation of a controversial opinion from the National Marine Fisheries Service.

The suit charges that the federal agency failed to conduct a required environmental review, that it used faulty science to develop measures meant to protect fish and that there was inadequate public review of the science the agency used to support its decision.

“The public has a right to know how agencies like (National Marine Fisheries Service) make decisions, and that was completely inadequate in this instance,” Dan Nelson, executive director of the water authority, said in a statement released by his office. “Decisions that affect the water supply for three million acres of farmland and 25 million people can’t be made in secret.”

The opinion, submitted June 4 to the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, calls for even greater reductions in federal and state exports of Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta water to San Joaquin Valley growers and to southern California.

Previously ordered cutbacks in irrigation water this year have forced San Joaquin Valley growers to leave fallow about 500,000 acres, according to Congressman Devin Nunes, whose district is in the valley. Estimates of additional water cutbacks linked to the opinion range up to 500,000 acre feet, he said, and that could double the amount of fallow acreage next year.

The reductions in water exports proposed by the Marine Fisheries Service would be in addition to other restrictions that reduced water allocations to California growers and cities by 30%. The affected growers are not limited to those producing nuts, tree fruit, melons and vegetables in the San Joaquin Valley. Avocado groves in southern California have had to endure major cuts in irrigation water shipments.

“Federal laws governing environmental review apply to everyone,” Nelson said. “The National Marine Fisheries Service needs to follow the rules like everyone else when it makes decisions that have such enormous impacts.”

The 800-plus-page opinion issued by the fisheries service concluded that California’s federal and state water projects jeopardize native species of salmon and sturgeon and even killer whales in the Pacific Ocean.

A similar suit filed by the water authority and the Fresno-based Westlands Water District is pending. That suit seeks to block another federal opinion that ordered cutting back pumping of delta water to protect a small fish, the delta smelt. The two plaintiffs won a victory in that litigation when a federal judge ordered that the effects on humans must be considered by environmental agencies when determining steps to be taken to protect endangered species.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top